League General Discussion Thread

• @majikforce i do agree with majikforce as far as the rules go but i do like the idea of doing the combat move first. as far as doing it with league play might not be the rite thing because of the rules. but that’s just my thought.

• '19 '17 '16

Interesting viewpoint @majikforce . I have a bit of a problem with it for the purposes of League play and play by forum in general because nothing stops you from just quitting and reloading then putting in a different buy, so long as you haven’t rolled any dice.

Nothing actually stops you from putting everything into the battle calc with purchase first. You just have to do a bit more leg work when playing online.

Personally I find this all a significant reduction in the fun in playing. Interesting that you find that part fun.

• @simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Interesting viewpoint @majikforce . I have a bit of a problem with it for the purposes of League play and play by forum in general because nothing stops you from just quitting and reloading then putting in a different buy, so long as you haven’t rolled any dice.

Nothing actually stops you from putting everything into the battle calc with purchase first. You just have to do a bit more leg work when playing online.

Personally I find this all a significant reduction in the fun in playing. Interesting that you find that part fun.

I think what he is saying is, he enjoys the mental challenge of it. I guess it’s sorta like in chess, how you are expected to think as far ahead as possible without touching any of the pieces. or like ditching the habit of using your fingers to count. I can see how it helps build mental muscle. I personally just about NEVER work things out in local mode, no matter how advanced and complex the situation may be. I too enjoy the sometimes very challenging mental work required in figuring out a complex turn without actually first “moving” any pieces. so with that said, I think it really does come down to a matter of preference, and hence, it currently is something that if both players like, they can agree to switching it on.

• @axis-dominion Perfectly stated. And please get out of my mind!:wink:

• '19 '17 '16

The comments about the game designer are interesting. @kreighund . The need to purchase units before putting combat moves on the board was the first rule we house ruled out when I first started playing the game. Why is it the way it is? I can’t be first person to have felt it needed change.

• '19 '17 '16

@majikforce said in League General Discussion Thread:

Why should it be revisable?

In answer to this question, the Zen of Axis and Allies, is that you shouldn’t be able to change your attacks and buy based on the results of other attacks happening on the same turn, as opposed to Risk where you can do precisely that. No dice are rolled until after combat movement (except tech which happens before either), so it stands to reason that it should indeed be revisable. It has never been challenged that NCM moves are revisable in the place phase for the exact same reason.

• '19 '18

@simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

The comments about the game designer are interesting. @kreighund . The need to purchase units before putting combat moves on the board was the first rule we house ruled out when I first started playing the game. Why is it the way it is? I can’t be first person to have felt it needed change.

I first came across this idea in a Young Grasshopper video. His tournament rules outlined the game phase this way to help speed up the game rounds in live tournament play. See the stage cards section. I don’t think the video exists anymore.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/30927/grasshopper-s-g40-tournament-rules

Looking through the maps available in TripleA I thought it was already an option to play a game with combat move first as several of the maps have that in the name. I haven’t tried a game with one yet though. I presume both players have to agree ahead of time as they will both be running with that map after the game is initiated.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Is it just me, or are games lasting forever these days?

• @oysteilo

Oh yeah, if it’s competitive then it’s running past R10 for sure…

• '19

I want to point out that I believe there is an error in TripleA global map. I noticed it is not possible to land units from sz126 into Finland. I believe this is a mistake because although it is small on my board there is clearly a sliver of Finland that falls into that sea zone. I have no idea who to bring this too but I noticed this while playing a couple of league games and I am afraid this will cost me. I realize I might be wrong but if that is the case I have played out of the box rules wrong for quite a while.

Anyway thanks for reading my rant. Let me know who I need petition.😉

• '19 '17 '16

Pretty sure that’s correct. I think Kreighund has actually ruled on it.

• '19

@simon33 that is interesting that it was brought up before. I posted a topic in the global forum as well and then someone posted a picture. The pic is grainy but I still think it shows Finland in the sea zone. Oh well. Now I know at least.

• '19 '17 '16

One more comment on combat move first.

I’ve noticed a couple of players objecting to the inability to post from the post panel after US/China/ANZAC turns. There’s no real reason to do this. If you want to rewind, you can just load autosave. Go to the autoSave subdirectory in your default save folder, and you’ll find a bunch of save files from the end of every move phase for every nation, and one at the end of the most recent turn.

• @simon33 can the U.S. land planes in siberia if russia is not at war with japan but is at war with germany?

• '19 '17

No, Russia needs to be at war with Japan for Allied units to go through Russian Pacific territories.

• @Adam514 thank you

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19

Need moderator opinion for BM3 league play question. Russia DOW Japan on turn 5, Japan had not DOW on Russia. Triplea gave Russia 4 points for N.O. #4 for convoy routes, even though Japan didn’t DOW, as stated as a requirement in the N.O. On Japan turn 5, only political action available is to DOW neutrals. Thus Triplea automatically put Japan at war with Russia. My opponent says I have to reverse the 4 P.U.s for the N.O.s for turn 5 (which I can see why), but also going forward (which I would disagree with). This situation must have come up with other players before now. What has been the consensus or ruling in the past?

• @FMErwinRommel Okay, simon33 said I needed to edit the political to “unprovoked”. When I did, it took away the N.O. for Russia. But now it seems that Russia will never get the N.O. for Persia convoy from Japan. That would be a costly mistake.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Just found a very minor bug (I think?). In my game here https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/32406/farmboy-axis-2-vs-oysteilo-allies-bm/319

it seemed that in my last turn I could land inf on midway (attacking it) without any naval or air support despite the presence of an enemy destroyer (and this is turn 20 so everyone has been at war with everyone for a while). Obviously I was going to take out the destroyer too, so this wasn’t an issue but I recall that one normally has to move other units into the sz before unloading or its blocked. I think? Or did i just imagine that.

• '19 '17 '16

@farmboy said in League General Discussion Thread:

Just found a very minor bug (I think?). In my game here https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/32406/farmboy-axis-2-vs-oysteilo-allies-bm/319

it seemed that in my last turn I could land inf on midway (attacking it) without any naval or air support despite the presence of an enemy destroyer (and this is turn 20 so everyone has been at war with everyone for a while). Obviously I was going to take out the destroyer too, so this wasn’t an issue but I recall that one normally has to move other units into the sz before unloading or its blocked. I think? Or did i just imagine that.

I’m pretty sure you get a warning about a suicidal move. I don’t think it’s a problem. You only get stopped if you attempt to land from a transport with a defending sub and you don’t have a warship.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m