Community Growth - We have a new opening

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

• '17 '16

I watched two videos about Carriers operation.
    Very interesting to start with a real board.

But, I cannot catch what was the specific lesson to learn from each about how to better use Fgs and Carrier.

In one video, I heard that 1 Carrier was able to bring 4 planes into battle.
    Plainly stated, without details, it is against the rule.
    So, I have to think about what you meant.
    I have to infere that you were probably talking about exchanging two ground planes to land on carrier and 2 carrier-based to land on Australia.
    Not clear though, more explanations needed.
    Saying more and repeating things is better than being too laconic in such tutorial video.

Also, make a video about how to access to AA.org and get Triple A, then find a player, etc.
    Just show relevant forum thread and OP, at least.
    Even me, don’t know how to settle a game and make the PBEMail process begin and flow.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Baron, thanks for checking out the videos!

These are meant to be examples of complex moves. They may be obvious to some people but others may learn some insight by thinking about the moves rather than having the details explained to them.  For example, the idea that you can use 1 carrier to get 4 fighters into a battle by being the launchpad for 2 fighters and the landing pad for 2 other fighters is something that a lot of people do not grasp.  Likewise, using multinational carrier/plane combinations to expand movement and landing opportunities is also not well understood my many. A lot of people learn more effectively by actively thinking about something rather than being lectured to, so I will demonstrate some moves from real games but not lecture. Youtube is an informal context anyway, and no one wants a lecture.

The Anniversary video is an introductory one that shows you where to get the software etc that you need to play online.

• '17 '16

Maybe I’m too much bias about tactics.
    I like to talk and learned more and when reading, and more watching about them, I love to ear and enjoy all little details to see if I miss something about the general idea so I can learned more in-depth lessons.

In the specific case we are talking, I knew the principles of switching ground based and carrier based aircrafts. What, I was asking myself was: is this he talking about or it is something more specific?
    And without details, I cannot tell for sure.

Nonetheless, this tactic is a really good choice to show and help people improve the use of Carrier.

Also, you are right about not telling all the details of moves for a given battle.
    But still, I think that focusing to the one specific moves help everyone without being a full lesson.
    In the videos we are talking, it would have been probably took 30 to 60 seconds at most.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Thanks Baron. I will keep it in mind for the new videos I make

• Having thought about this I think our problem is not attracting new members but rather retaining them. We have many thousands of members but a tiny proportion of them current. If this is true then efforts to attract new members will achieve far more after we have improved our ability to keep them.

D jensen will have the data to tell us whether this is correct.

Without that data I would say that new members are drawn here by the forum being a repository for extras such as FAQs and playing aids and an informal opportunity for newbies to interact with more experienced players seeking advice and guidance.

So what might retain the interest of those new members we currently lose?

One example would be to try harder to attract them into the League, which is rather daunting if efforts are not made to draw new players in.

• TripleA

Definitely having solid getting started videos would be great.

A few other points:

• TripleA supports 100s of maps based on various sets of A&A rules and some even beyond. Need to better advertise and educate folks on cool maps to try to keep things fresh. There are both simple maps and vastly deep/complex maps. This should help to retain existing members.
    • Figure out how to attract new members from other TBS communities. I’m sure almost all of us have played other TBS (PC or board) and figuring out how to reach into those players bases is essential.
    • Get more marketing presence through reviews, youtube videos, tournaments, etc.
    • Work to close the gap between the community here on A&A.org and the TripleA forum/lobby.
    • Finding more TripleA developers and map creators as well as folks to moderate this forum, TripleA forum, and TripleA lobby.
  • '18 '17 '16

It never hurts to offer

FREE BEER

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Is the arrival of balanced mode creating a barrier / fracturing the community?

I’ve been sticking to second edition in order to keep the option to play table top / stay true to the official version.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I think Omega is right.  Its hard enough for someone to try playing online, then they see this new bunch of rules and stuff called balance mod.  It makes a barrier

• I was wondering where all the new members are going to?
    I mean, they sign up here and only 5% of the new members post in here on any of these threads.
    Where are they going to? Do they only play online? Is the community different then here?

Is BM a barrier?

No. If that would be the case, then any new A&A game would be a barrier starting from the oldest Edition to the Brand new ones.

Omega you should try.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Lots of people still play OOB.

If we get balanced mode tuned just right, I could ask Larry for an “unofficially” commentary, and maybe have it considered 3rd edition cannon.  But that’s besides the point.

Maybe we should start checking each day who’s newly registered and reaching out to them with PMs every time to plug them in to whatever part of our community they are interested in?

• '17 '16 '15

yea always try and make a point of being cool to someone with a legit question who is a new conscript as opposed to belittling them for their ignorance (of which there aren’t that many that do that). Think most people are pretty helpful.

• '17 '16 '15

@Gargantua:

Maybe we should start checking each day who’s newly registered and reaching out to them with PMs every time to plug them in to whatever part of our community they are interested in?

This is an excellent idea

Although the message thingy needs to be more high profile imo. It was months before I realized I ever had one the first time

• @Gargantua:

Lots of people still play OOB.

If we get balanced mode tuned just right, I could ask Larry for an “unofficially” commentary, and maybe have it considered 3rd edition cannon.  But that’s besides the point.

Yupp, send them a:

Hello, Welcome to the Forum.
    Here are three links for a Forum walkthrough.
    We the community ….
    If you are interested in …
    If you like Garg leave a Comment below…  :wink:

• Allready in the last Hour two new members!
    Get your gear on!!!

Pronto

When you walk in a shop you will be greeted immediatley within of your First three till four steps.

• Customizer

I was reading this earlier today and I thought it was interesting, I decided to start an account after watching various youtube channels regarding A&A.

• Speaking for my fellow teens, we don’t like playing “chess by mail.”  Triple A might be good for busy young adults that can only manage a turn a day, but if you really want to make people get in on this game, show them a physical copy.  1941 is a great starter because it offers simplicity and good action.

I know this is an opinated view, but I just don’t think playing virtually is an interest catcher.  I have had immense success just convincing someone to take the dice and IPCs and go.  Unfortunately, the only easy way to get players is to recruit independent A&A gamers that already exist, or physically introduce the game to those you know.

Youtube is a great place to communicate to others about the game, but it is more for people that are already “in there.”  One does not go searching Axis and Allies unless they own a copy.

The other problem is getting people on .org.  This place is reserved for fanatics, extreme strategists, customizers, and people looking for help.  Of course, the rest of the majority is Triple A players.  This might sound heartless, but an old-school website such as this just might be destined for ultimate bankruptcy when its old generation is gone.

• Disciplinary Group Banned

@Charles:

Speaking for my fellow teens, we don’t like playing “chess by mail.”  Triple A might be good for busy young adults that can only manage a turn a day, but if you really want to make people get in on this game, show them a physical copy.  1941 is a great starter because it offers simplicity and good action.

I know this is an opinated view, but I just don’t think playing virtually is an interest catcher.  I have had immense success just convincing someone to take the dice and IPCs and go.  Unfortunately, the only easy way to get players is to recruit independent A&A gamers that already exist, or physically introduce the game to those you know.

Youtube is a great place to communicate to others about the game, but it is more for people that are already “in there.”  One does not go searching Axis and Allies unless they own a copy.

The other problem is getting people on .org.  This place is reserved for fanatics, extreme strategists, customizers, and people looking for help.  Of course, the rest of the majority is Triple A players.  This might sound heartless, but an old-school website such as this just might be destined for ultimate bankruptcy when its old generation is gone.

That’s why I am seeking people to play A&A 1941 with me. So far I am having success with it. I am recruiting the next batch of A&A players. However I don’t see anything wrong with the virtual world of A&A. You can always get to play a game with someone on TrippleA, but not always in the real world.  8-) 8-) 8-)

• Something I’d like to see is more explanation of things around here. I’d like to see, on the front page, a “New to Axis & Allies - See Here for More Information” and have that link to an article that explains A&A, explains the differences between the different versions, and then links to explanations for: How to play face to face games, how to play virtually, and the differences between the two. It doesn’t have to be huge, but it should ideally be above “the fold”, as it were.

Just something to ease newcomers into the site.

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m