• RE: Battle of France 1940 Redux posted in Other Games
  • RE: Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

@trulpen cool! Do we have a final bid then? Can we let gamer work on his opening? 🙂

posted in Play Boardgames
  • RE: Looking for mods or balanced bids

@LebaneseWarlord said in Looking for mods or balanced bids:

I scrolled quite a bit on this forum and I can’t find any post clearly explaining mods such as Taamvan 3.0 or balanced mod. So I am asking where to find them and which one would you recommend?

In the game categories we usually discuss the official OOB games. What you are looking for are “Customizations” to be found in that respective category. There we have sub-categories for singular “House Rules” or “Other Variants”. All of them created by players/enthusiasts.

Balance mod is discussed here:
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/27451/g40-balance-mod-3-0-rules-and-download/
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/27121/g40-balance-mod-feedback-thread/

I am not aware of a dedicated “Taamvan 3.0” titled topic, so the best idea would be to use the forum search.

posted in Axis & Allies Global 1940
  • RE: CWO you OK ?

Hi everyone,

Sorry to have been absent for so long; this is the first time I’ve logged into my forum account since the pandemic started. I’m fine, and I appreciate the expressions of concern; I’ve simply had to devote my time and my mental energies to dealing with the new situation we’re all living through. I’ve sidelined – for the moment – a lot of normal activities, including (sadly) my daily visits to the forum because I need to maintain my focus on working from home and dealing with the surreal environment in which we’re all living. Who ever thought that grocery shopping, a normally mundane task, would turn into an experience similar to the movie The Andromeda Strain, which features a multi-level biological research laboratory which requires increasingly severe sterilization procedures as one goes form level to level? Anyway, I hope everyone is doing okay.

All the best,
    Marc

posted in General Discussion
  • RE: All the Russian openings: For Begginers

@hirohito22 said in All the Russian openings: For Begginers:

@hirohito22 said in All the Russian openings: For Begginers:

another mistake I made was to “collect” one inf from each island for example one inf from philipines move first step to borneo, load second inf and move second step to Australia to invade… I see that is also forbidden by the quote that p. brought. so thanks for involving him.

or perhaps “collecting” is permitted? to “collect” one inf from each island for example one inf from philipines move first step to borneo, load second inf and move second step to Australia to invade?
    but not to unload two infantry in two places one inf in philipines and second in the adjacent sea zone for example borneo.

Rulebook, page 31 again:
    “A transport can load cargo from one or two territories in or adjacent to friendly sea zones that it occupies before, during, and after it moves. A transport can pick up cargo, move one sea zone, pick up more cargo, move one more sea zone, and offload the cargo at the end of its movement. …”

Download it from https://avalonhill.wizards.com/rules

posted in Axis & Allies 1942 2nd Edition
  • RE: L20 #1 trulpen (X) vs 666 (A+7) BM3

TripleA Turn Summary: Russians round 6

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 Balanced Mod3, version: 3.4

Game History

Round: 6

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 10 infantry; Remaining resources: 10 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            1 infantry moved from Samara to Vologda
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Smolensk
            2 infantry moved from Samara to Tambov
            1 fighter moved from Russia to Tambov
            1 fighter moved from Russia to Smolensk
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Russia to Vologda
            1 infantry moved from Samara to Tambov
            1 infantry moved from Jehol to Shantung
                  Chinese take Shantung from Japanese
            4 infantry moved from Jehol to Anhwe
            4 infantry moved from Jehol to Chahar
            1 infantry moved from Jehol to Anhwe
            1 infantry moved from Jehol to Chahar

Combat - Russians
            Battle in Tambov
                Russians attack with 1 fighter and 3 infantry
                Germans defend with 2 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter and 3 infantry in Tambov, round 2 : 0/4 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 2 infantry in Tambov, round 2 : 0/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter and 3 infantry in Tambov, round 3 : 1/4 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 2 infantry in Tambov, round 3 : 0/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Tambov
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter and 3 infantry in Tambov, round 4 : 1/4 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Tambov, round 4 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Tambov
                Russians win, taking Tambov from Germans with 1 fighter and 3 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                Casualties for Germans: 2 infantry
            Battle in Smolensk
                Russians attack with 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                Germans defend with 1 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter and 1 infantry in Smolensk, round 2 : 1/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Smolensk, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Smolensk
                Russians win with 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Russians: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
            Battle in Vologda
                Russians attack with 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber
                Germans defend with 1 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Vologda, round 2 : 2/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Vologda, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Vologda
                Russians win, taking Vologda from Germans with 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
            Battle in Anhwe
                Russians attack with 5 infantry
                Japanese defend with 1 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 5 infantry in Anhwe, round 2 : 2/5 hits, 0.83 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Anhwe, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Japanese lost in Anhwe
                Russians win, taking Anhwe from Japanese with 5 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 infantry
            Battle in Chahar
                Russians attack with 5 infantry
                Japanese defend with 1 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 5 infantry in Chahar, round 2 : 0/5 hits, 0.83 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Chahar, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 5 infantry in Chahar, round 3 : 0/5 hits, 0.83 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Chahar, round 3 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 5 infantry in Chahar, round 4 : 1/5 hits, 0.83 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Chahar, round 4 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Japanese lost in Chahar
                Russians win, taking Chahar from Japanese with 5 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - Russians
            1 aaGun moved from Jehol to Chahar
            1 aaGun moved from Jehol to Anhwe
            1 infantry moved from Samara to Kazakhstan
            1 fighter moved from Tambov to Russia
            1 fighter moved from Smolensk to Russia
            1 tactical_bomber moved from Vologda to Russia

Place Units - Russians
            10 infantry placed in Russia

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 21 PUs; end with 31 PUs
            Trigger Russians 7 Great Patriotic War: Russians met a national objective for an additional 3 PUs; end with 34 PUs
            Trigger Russians 2 Persia Lend Lease Lane: Russians met a national objective for an additional 2 PUs; end with 36 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Germans : -1.33
    Russians : 0.33
    Japanese : -1.33

Territory Summary for Russians :

Shantung : 1 infantry
    Korea : 1 flag
    Chahar : 1 aaGun and 5 infantry
    Anhwe : 1 aaGun and 5 infantry
    Kazakhstan : 1 infantry
    Russia : 3 aaGuns, 1 airfield, 2 armour, 1 artillery, 1 factory_major, 2 fighters, 78 infantry, 3 mech_infantrys and 1 tactical_bomber
    Tambov : 3 infantry
    Vologda : 1 infantry
    Samara : 1 infantry

Production/PUs Summary :

Germans : 60 / 84
    Russians : 21 / 36
    Japanese : 36 / 63
    Americans : 53 / 90
    Chinese : 17 / 15
    British : 36 / 36
    UK_Pacific : 9 / 9
    Italians : 14 / 15
    ANZAC : 16 / 22
    French : 2 / 0
    Dutch : 0 / 0
    Mongolians : 0 / 0
    Neutral_Axis : 1 / 0
    Neutral_Allies : 0 / 0
    Neutral_True : 18 / 0

Savegame

posted in League

@trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Sorry, not FIC, since China can’t go there. Only comes pressure when the brits enter Yunnan. That’s a clear weakness of this strategy.

Potentially reckless strategy, but spices things up:

Add a mech infantry in Burma and attack the 2 Japanese infantry in Siam on UK Pacific 1.

Japan is now in a situation where taking French Indochina cost them 10 IPC even without involving the US. Japan will also abstain from taking Philippines and US Naval and air has plenty of time to bail out to safety.

UK Pacific and Anzac capture an extra 10 IPC between them.

The major downside is that the US cannot attack until turn 4, which is an eternity for the allied side.

If that is the path taken, the European side (both UK and Soviet) need to support India / put pressure elsewhere.

I do not like passively waiting for Japan to take over, but it’s a beast, very hard to take down or even slow down.

@trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

It’s definitely interesting with the, as I understand it aim to control the eastern provinces and also being able to help out the chilese with flexible air.

The only backside I can see is that Russia is not at war in the beginning. Japan can easily abstain from DOWing, although in OOB there’s no direct cost to it. But it also goes for the pressure on east Russia. Not sure it’s worth 12 IPC to dissuade that?

On the other hand it’s usually an easy income boost for Japan while denying Russia important income. Most important is to defend Moscow, if possible, and it might be better served with bids for the Atlantic and Med, since that should give UK resources to send up figs for the defense of Moscow from round 4.

The point of the artillery is make the stack a more potent offensive force. That forces Japan to keep a bit more air force in the north. All the sudden this big defensive stack has decent offense potential. As others have mentioned, you can’t actually go on offense until the 3rd Russian turn, but moving back all the stack on R2 (when feasible) can change J2 plans and marginally help elsewhere. You can also do this without the artillery, but the fear factor isn’t the same :).

By bidding two soviet fighters and sending them to Yunnan, it’s very likely going to prevent a J1. The key is whether there’s a way to create another distraction to prevent a J2 while causing sufficient losses. Only the Soviets or Chinese can create this distraction.

Should have had my coffee, math above wrong:

Two soviet fighters = 20 IPC
    Yunnan infantry = 3 IPC
    Two subs 98/91 = 12 IPC
    Scotland fighter = 10 IPC
    Paris: one infantry =3 IPC
    UK Europe: 2 IPC
    Total = 50 IPC

The key to Allies having a chance in OOB is wear down the Axis air forces and to snip out Japanese land units from exchanges with numerous nations.

While that’s happening, a strong force of UK fighters, US bombers/fighters, and a gradually stronger force of Anzac fighters act as a flexible force. A first pressure point is usually India, followed closely by Moscow, and finally the Middle East.

Our options to reduce Axis air and Japanese ground troops.

Adding infantry to Yunnan increase expected losses (must take territory) from 5 to 9 (4 IPC for 3 IPC). Then a soviet fighter takes this to 19.5 (10 IPC for 10 IPC), and a second Soviet fighter takes this to 36 IPC (16 IPC for 10 IPC). So here by spending 23 IPC you force commitment of Japanese bombers and will likely take 2 Japanese planes with you. This remains an attractive target for the Japanese, you definitely do not want to let these planes escape and get back to Moscow.

Now, what are options to take down the German air force? Ideally, what we would do is to tempt the axis player in attacking both 110/111, and getting lift from two scrambles, hopefully trading 4 allied planes against 3-4 German planes (leaving 8-9 German planes on the map). Note that we need to retain enough air power for Taranto.

In order to create further disruption, take the transport from 98 and land one infantry and on AA gun in Greece. This forces Italy or Germany to attack Greece, otherwise any remaining fighters left on a carrier can let the carrier perish first. Hopefully the remaining fleet in the med + Greece will destroy another 2 German planes, bringing them down to 6-7 planes.

This reducing Axis air force business is critical because this air force is a force multiplier, forcing us to build huge navies and armies to invade the continent.

In other words, in early rounds it’s OK to play Rocky balboa and lose 15 IPC of units for each 10 IPC of Axis air units.

So stepping back on the priorities here.

Sub in 98 is critical for Taranto.
    The sub in 91 really helps take out 96, we don’t want Italy to have 2 transports.

We spend 23+12 to date so 41, have 9 IPC to spare.

An extra infantry in Paris is causing 4 IPC additional losses, it’s not bad of a ROI and might encourage the Axis player to send the tactical bomber there to avoid a 1 in 200 chance of losing the battle.

With the 6 IPC that remains, it would either be a sub in 110 (further pressure German R1 attack, potentially save the 106 ships), or a combination of one artillery in the soviet far east (to increase the offensive fear factor of this stack) + 2 IPC in the UK bank, allowing a 3 fighter purchase (very needed after the first round).