• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Narvik:

@Krieghund:

The assumption is that the cost (too small to be represented by a full IPC) is borne by the UK Pacific economy.

If you let repair cost 1 IPC that would have solved a lot of rule issues. And honestly, 1 IPC aint that much

Hardly. The debate is not about the cost itself, but about which economy is supposedly paying it. Everybody agrees that even when the cost is 0, an economy that has lost its capital can’t pay that “amount”.

• There should be no confusion on the rules.

1940 was designed as a two map game. The only power that has to deal with it is the UK.

Throw out “reality”, this is just a game.

I still have issues with the Generals you tube video that UK ships can repair on the USA east coast (Europe map) because UK Europe Capital is lost.

UK ships in the case of UK Europe lost (London has fallen) should only be able to repair on the Pacific map board.

The issue is we have 2 rule books covering two individual games and then a few pages mashing them all into one on a few pages at the end of each book as the global rules and calling it 1940 global rules.

** I will admit this scenario we are so hotly debating is such a non factor it is amusing…but, hey, we are gamers and love discussing stupid things.**

• '18 '17 '16

I didn’t make the rules. Regardless of what you think of the video, Krieghund was clear about the fact that the UK could repair it’s Battleship in the Eastern US if London had fallen but India was still in British hands. You can play the game any way you choose, but those are the official rules of the game as set by Larry Harris.

• '19 '17 '16

That contradicts my reading of the rules. Can it be explained where I’m reading it wrongly?

My reading is that if Calcutta is lost, the UK purchase and repair phase only applies to the Europe side.

• '19 '17 '16

And if you are concerned about realism, why doesn’t repair take any time?

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

I didn’t make the rules. Regardless of what you think of the video, Krieghund was clear about the fact that the UK could repair it’s Battleship in the Eastern US if London had fallen but India was still in British hands. You can play the game any way you choose, but those are the official rules of the game as set by Larry Harris.

@simon33:

My reading is that if Calcutta is lost, the UK purchase and repair phase only applies to the Europe side.

When London is lost and Calcutta is still British:
    Q: So when and where can the damaged battleship be repaired?
    A: During the Purchase+Repair Phase of the UK-Pacific economy at every friendly operative naval base except British naval bases belonging to the UK-Europe economy.

When Calcutta is lost and London is still British:
    Q: So when and where can the damaged battleship be repaired?
    A: During the Purchase+Repair Phase of the UK-Europe economy at every friendly operative naval base except British naval bases belonging to the UK-Pacific economy.

• '19 '17 '16

What I mean is this rule seems to say that there is no repair on the Pacific side if Calcutta is lost, and none on the Europe side if London is lost:

@simon33:

@Pac:

Purchase and Repair
    Each of United Kingdom Europe and Pacific makes its own separate purchases and repairs.

Why am I reading it wrongly?

Is it just the remarks above that vary what is the apparent meaning of the rules?

• '17 '16

Why skip the purchase and repair phase when your capital is captured?
    Let it be “on”, this Power don’t have any money. He will be able to only repair warships anyway.
    If, in the next round, this Power have previously managed to capture an enemy’s capital (during the last game round) and have money at the beginning of his turn, so be it. Let it purchase units in secondaries ICs. Most will be minors.

This restriction seems a vestigial remnants of Classic game. The Global game is supposed to be about VCs. And Axis Power claiming Victory needs to own its Capital  to do so.

• Official Q&A

@simon33:

What I mean is this rule seems to say that there is no repair on the Pacific side if Calcutta is lost, and none on the Europe side if London is lost:

@simon33:

@Pac:

Purchase and Repair
    Each of United Kingdom Europe and Pacific makes its own separate purchases and repairs.

Is it just the remarks above that vary what is the apparent meaning of the rules?

There is no repair in the UK Pacific economy if Calcutta is lost and no repair in the UK Europe economy if London is lost.  This is not the same as the Pacific map or the Europe map.  The UK Pacific economy is defined in the rules as “all of the territories controlled by United Kingdom on the Pacific map”, and the UK Europe economy is defined in the rules as “all of the territories controlled by United Kingdom on the Europe map” (italics are mine).  (Of course, there are a few exceptions regarding individual territories, as specified in the rules.)  Territories controlled by other Allied powers are part of neither economy, and that’s why repairs are allowed there if either UK capital is free.

• I understand that there was a need to rule on this. I get that if a powers capital is captured that you didn’t want them to be able to purchase units or make repairs to facilities because they have no IPCs. Ships however don’t require IPCs for repair so IMHO I don’t think ship repairs should have been included in the  capture capital rules. To me how ship repairs are handled in this situation seems a little off.

OK London is captured by the axis (Calcutta still belongs to UK) so UK ships on the Euro side can’t be repaired at UK ports on the Euro map because they are part of the London econ. However those same ports can make repairs on US ships (or other allied ships). I just simply don’t see why those same ports have the men, tools and parts to fix US ships, but can’t repair their own UK ships. It’s like saying if London is captured the Gibraltar port allows US ships to move +1, but UK ships don’t get the movement bonus. Either the port is operational or it isn’t.

I also feel the same if Washington was captured that US ships can’t be repaired in other US ports, but UK ships could? So the Yorktown (US) and Victorious (UK) are both at Hawaii. The Victorious (which was on loan to the USA BTW) is repaired no problem. Sorry guys we’re going to have to scrap the Yorktown because maritime law prohibits us to make repairs to our own ships.

I think it would have been much cleaner to simply allow any functional port to make free repairs. There would be no need to go into captured capitals etc……and would be far less confusing IMO.

• '17 '16

@Baron:

Why skip the purchase and repair phase when your capital is captured?
    Let it be “on”, this Power don’t have any money. He will be able to only repair warships anyway.
    If, in the next round, this Power have previously managed to capture an enemy’s capital (during the last game round) and have money at the beginning of his turn, so be it. Let it purchase units in secondaries ICs. Most will be minors.

This restriction seems a vestigial remnants of Classic game. The Global game is supposed to be about VCs. And Axis Power claiming Victory needs to own its Capital  to do so.

@WILD:

I understand that there was a need to rule on this. I get that if a powers capital is captured that you didn’t want them to be able to purchase units or make repairs to facilities because they have no IPCs. Ships however don’t require IPCs for repair so IMHO I don’t think ship repairs should have been included in the  capture capital rules. To me how ship repairs are handled in this situation seems a little off.

OK London is captured by the axis (Calcutta still belongs to UK) so UK ships on the Euro side can’t be repaired at UK ports on the Euro map because they are part of the London econ. However those same ports can make repairs on US ships (or other allied ships). I just simply don’t see why those same ports have the men, tools and parts to fix US ships, but can’t repair their own UK ships. It’s like saying if London is captured the Gibraltar port allows US ships to move +1, but UK ships don’t get the movement bonus. Either the port is operational or it isn’t.

I also feel the same if Washington was captured that US ships can’t be repaired in other US ports, but UK ships could? So the Yorktown (US) and Victorious (UK) are both at Hawaii. The Victorious (which was on loan to the USA BTW) is repaired no problem. Sorry guys we’re going to have to scrap the Yorktown because maritime law prohibits us to make repairs to our own ships.

I think it would have been much cleaner to simply allow any functional port to make free repairs. There would be no need to go into captured capitals etc……and would be far less confusing IMO.

Does it happens often that Germany is conquered previous round (lost all IPCs), then on his turn conquered Moscow (and get money). And finally, on the third round would be in position to purchase units while Berlin was not controlled?

• '19 '17 '16

@WILD:

I understand that there was a need to rule on this. I get that if a powers capital is captured that you didn’t want them to be able to purchase units or make repairs to facilities because they have no IPCs. Ships however don’t require IPCs for repair so IMHO I don’t think ship repairs should have been included in the  capture capital rules. To me how ship repairs are handled in this situation seems a little off.

Yeah, the other alternative is to just drop the price of the BB to allow a 1IPC charge to be compensated for.

There is a different reason to ban the purchase and repair phase for powers without a capital - if they sack someone else’s capital they shouldn’t be able to spend the money without a capital. Although if they can’t place units or repair facilities, perhaps that’s enough.

@Krieghund:

@simon33:

@simon33:

@Pac:

Purchase and Repair

There is no repair in the UK Pacific economy if Calcutta is lost and no repair in the UK Europe economy if London is lost.  This is not the same as the Pacific map or the Europe map.  The UK Pacific economy is defined in the rules as “all of the territories controlled by United Kingdom on the Pacific map”, and the UK Europe economy is defined in the rules as “all of the territories controlled by United Kingdom on the Europe map” (italics are mine).  (Of course, there are a few exceptions regarding individual territories, as specified in the rules.)  Territories controlled by other Allied powers are part of neither economy, and that’s why repairs are allowed there if either UK capital is free.

I’m a bit confused by all this. You are saying that units belonging to the UK on the Pacific map aren’t part of the UK_Pacific economy. The ownership of the territory (sea zone) that a battleship is in seems to be a bit irrelevant.

Anyway, I’m clear on the official rules. We aren’t going to progress from that.

• '19 '17 '16

Just if you like the idea that BB/CV repair shouldn’t be free.

What would make sense is if all an economy’s bases become non functional without a capital but again, why add complexity?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Krieghund:

So then it follows that:
    (1) A UK ship in a port controlled by UK Europe is in the UK Europe economy;
    (2) A UK ship in a port controlled by UK Pacific is in the UK Pacific economy;
    (3) A UK ship in a port controlled by another allied nation, is in whatever economy the UK chooses its to be;
    (4) A non-UK allied ship in any UK port is always in the economy of the nation it belongs to.

I hope I got that one right!

• @Herr:

@Krieghund:

So then it follows that:
    (1) A UK ship in a port controlled by UK Europe is in the UK Europe economy;
    (2) A UK ship in a port controlled by UK Pacific is in the UK Pacific economy;
    (3) A UK ship in a port controlled by another allied nation, is in whatever economy the UK chooses its to be;
    (4) A non-UK allied ship in any UK port is always in the economy of the nation it belongs to.

I hope I got that one right!

You did

• '19 '17 '16

1, 2 and 4 follow but I’m not convinced that 3 does. However, it has been clearly stated that is the interpretation.

• '18 '17 '16

You’re getting closer. Defining it in terms that you have will work for the purposes of this rule.

The UK ships, and all of their other units for that matter, are controlled by one unified UK. The terms Europe economy and Pacific economy are only relevant when it comes to purchasing and placing units and making repairs to facilities. After the purchase and repair phase of the UK’s turn, all of the units move and fight as one power. On the place units phase and collect income phase, then the “economies” are separated again.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m