The Return of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Nice!

Such a great game.  The best one of all OOB.

• People will be most interested in the new 4 sculpts. First show this and the map changes.

• djensen - Do you know if the German pieces are grey as noted on the article you’ve provided or are they black just like the pictures show?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Did somebody move this or did I just post it in the wrong spot?

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Imperious:

People will be most interested in the new 4 sculpts. First show this and the map changes.

The sculpts are not exactly “new.” They had to re-use some of the models from Axis & Allies 1942 SE because they couldn’t get the original ones made. I’ll find out which units were affected.

• Sponsor

@djensen:

Did somebody move this or did I just post it in the wrong spot?

So you had to move your own thread… LOL.

• @djensen:

The sculpts are not exactly “new.” They had to re-use some of the models from Axis & Allies 1942 SE because they couldn’t get the original ones made. I’ll find out which units were affected.

Thanks for this information.  It sounds as if WotC’s reference to four new sculpts means “new to the Anniversary game” rather than “new to the Axis and Allies board-game line,” which is certainly a plausible scenario.  It’s actually even more plausible than a scenario which would have involved the introduction of new sculpts that we’ve not seen in either Global 1940.2 or A&A 1941.  My guess is that one of the affected sculpts is the Italian tank, which was a Carro Armato M14/41 in Anniversary (the only game in which it ever appeared) but was an M15/42 in Europe 1940.1 and 1940.2.  The transom-sterned version of the German cruiser from Anniversary is likewise possibly getting bumped for the current cruiser-sterned version, though if I’m not mistaken it appeared in another game beside Anniversary.

• Official Q&A

@Imperious:

First show this and the map changes.

The only changes to the map were the removal of the Japanese emblems from Kiangsu and Manchuria.  These will be represented by the placement of control markers in the setup.

• ok

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

@Imperious:

First show this and the map changes.

The only changes to the map were the removal of the Japanese emblems from Kiangsu and Manchuria.  These will be represented by the placement of control markers in the setup.

Smart

• '19 '17 '16

Have the AA Gun and air raid (i.e. air battle preceding strat bombing) rules been updated?

• Founder TripleA Admin

@simon33:

Have the AA Gun and air raid (i.e. air battle preceding strat bombing) rules been updated?

I’ll look but I doubt it. I also kinda wish they incorporated that into Anniversary.

• '17 '16

Both G40 2nd Edition or 1942.2 Air raid rules are better to incentive such action.

This can easily be rewritten in the revised rulebook, since Air raid rule were not included in the OOB rulebook.

However, adding AAA sculpts in set-up and changing AAA and IC combat values seems a much longer process, probably too costly for a re-edition.

• '19 '18 '17

I had this on preorder, but I’m thinking about cancelling it since I have the original and the “new” sculpts seem to all be 1940/42SE retreads.  I am also assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that one of the old sculpts they could not reproduce was the Italian tanks?

I suppose I’ll save the $75 and put it toward War Room.

• Sponsor

There is a rare German cruiser sculpt out there but I don’t know where it’s from, I only have 4 of them which makes me think it’s from my old anniversary edition (my pieces are all thrown together unfortunately), if it is from AE… I hope they don’t change them, they looked really cool IMO.

• Your “rare” cruiser is from the 1941 edition.

• '19 '18 '17

@reloader-1:

Your “rare” cruiser is from the 1941 edition.

Assuming you mean the entry level AA1941, there are no cruisers in that game. Unless you meant a different game?

• @reloader-1:

There are no cruisers in the 1941 game.  YG is referring to the early version of the Hipper-class cruiser sculpt, which had a transom stern (meaning a square back part).  It first appeared in Anniversary, and I think it was also used in Europe 1940.1.  The later version of the German cruiser sculpt has a cruiser stern (meaning a pointy back part).  My theory is that the sculpt was redesigned to avoid confusion with destroyers, since most A&A destroyers have transom sterns.

• @Dajokr:

@reloader-1:

Assuming you mean the entry level AA1941, there are no cruisers in that game. Unless you meant a different game?

I stand corrected - for some reason I read “destroyer” instead of “cruiser”.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@reloader-1:

There are no cruisers in the 1941 game.  YG is referring to the early version of the Hipper-class cruiser sculpt, which had a transom stern (meaning a square back part).  It first appeared in Anniversary, and I think it was also used in Europe 1940.1.  The later version of the German cruiser sculpt has a cruiser stern (meaning a pointy back part).  My theory is that the sculpt was redesigned to avoid confusion with destroyers, since most A&A destroyers have transom sterns.

Yes, the German cruiser I’m referring to has a square back stern, however, I personally never got them confused with destroyers because of their bow shaped width. The only reason why I would question your theory about why they changed those German cruisers, is because the later ANZAC cruiser vs destroyer sculpts causes the same confusion they maybe tried to avoid earlier.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m