• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Kirk has my vote. I rather liked Archer, too. Picard, Janeway and Sisko - all very different, but basically OK with me. I liked most of the series, but didn’t really care for Deep Space 9. I found that it lacked the spirit of adventure and the sense of optimism of the other variants.
    They boldly stayed where many men had been before.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Mallery29:

As for the Enterprise vs. Defiant…remind me again who got owned by a lowly bird of prey?

Well, a couple different Enterprises got owned by Bird’s of Prey. But point taken. Anyone would with effectively no shields.

I’d rather have the Enterprise-D, especially E, any day over Defiant.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Gotta love this type of total virtual discussion, lets get on with it :)

The Defiant is neither a flagship nor a fleet mainstay nor anything. Its probably a good choice for the type of missions there were. And it did well, considering her development status.
    Dont know if a Galaxy class would have been stealthy enough, with or without a cloaking device, and if it would have been agile enough for all those skirmishes. Cloak would have demanded a lot of energy, I guess.

As for the Voyager and her praised success against the Borg, well, hardly Star Fleet equipment responsible. Say thank you to Seven of Nine, Captain, otherwise the Voyager would not have got even near to any of those Borg installations. But Seven of Nine and the Doctor were undoubtedly pluses for the show.

But in which DS9 differs so much (and thankfully so) to STTNG and Voyager is the absence of black and white only. Hard choices, shady characters alongside principled ones, and even those have a hard time doing the right thing, and often cant, or dont want to. Someone mentioned the episode “In the pale moonlight”. Now try that with Jean-Luc :)
    Garak and Bashir, Odo and Quark, Kira and Damar / Dukat, Dax and the Klingons, so many characters with different mindsets and views interact in this show, I just dont see that anywhere else in that scope. And then Gowron, Martok, Founders, can you ask for more unique characters that have regular appearances?

Too few Romulan encounters, as always, but very good when they are here, as always ;)
    Cardassians, Dominion, Klingons, all are there, and even if the Borg are always interesting, I dont miss them here. The Klingon / Romulan episodes of Next Gen were good in general, too, though.

Whats really hard, though, is deciding the following:

Best Captain: Ok, we had that. No consensus, predictably (thank god for that)
    Best Medic: McCoy, Crusher, Bashir, EMH, Phlox (probably 1 and 3, with 4 most entertaining)
    Best Science: Spock, Data, Dax, Tuvok, T’Pol (now that is a special tough one)
    Best Chief Engineer: Scotty, La Forge, O’Brien, B’Elanna, Tucker (very hard between 1 and 5)
    Best Second in Command: Well, that concept was not there always, but we have Riker, Kira and Chakotey (Riker between the two former)
    Best Security: A lot of dead ones, Worf (not counting Tasha), Odo, Tuvok, Reed (Odo, surprisingly ;) )

Yeah, shame about Enterprise. It was so good to see all those episodes in Season 4 that lead into the future, Dr. Soong, T’Pau, Klingons etc.
    And the Expanse thing was hreat as well. Not to mention (if I have not done so in an exasperating manner yet) when they encountered the Roms ;)

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Afterthought to Cmdr Jennifer: Yep, space battles are great. But I always felt that B5 ones look so unreal (if this is a word that should be chosen with space battles), cheesy even. But that surely is a subjective. Politics was good, as far as I remember, also an important component for me.

Btw, found this one by chance, since we had the captains discussion:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKS0GRxpfZc

• '17

@alexgreat:

Best Science: Spock, Data, Dax, Tuvok, T’Pol (now that is a special tough one)

Spock narrowly edges out Dax in my book.

How about best mirror-verse character? Now that’s a tough one!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@alexgreat:

Afterthought to Cmdr Jennifer: Yep, space battles are great. But I always felt that B5 ones look so unreal (if this is a word that should be chosen with space battles), cheesy even. But that surely is a subjective. Politics was good, as far as I remember, also an important component for me.

I disagree, the humans had rotating sections of their warships to maintain gravity while in Star Trek they never even talk about why they can walk around in space without gravity and then they started coming up with virtual scenario rooms where everyone could walk miles away from each other but still be in the same holodeck.  B5 used pulse cannons and short, high intensity beams, Star Trek used phaser arrays with long bursts and didn’t get to pulse cannons until the Galaxy II (3 nacelle Enterprise from last episode of TNG) and the Defiant (for the record BOTH could cloak, so I think a cloak woulda been just fine on the super seksi Sovereign Class (Enterprise D))

Oh and some of the most ancient aliens in B5 still had rotating sections (the flying saucers rotated in the last major skirmish) so they didn’t even try to say everyone learned all the same technologies even after they stopped being interested in the daily affairs of the galaxy, which I think is great since for some reason, everyone and their brother (and hell, even the Yridians???) got cloaking technology in the star trek universe, and holodecks and transporters (seriously, Klingons wouldn’t have been much happier kicking in the door and storming the ship instead of beaming over ever so gracefully to attack?)

Besides, they had the best end ever!  “Y’all die, the station blows up, and we declare with a firm, voice, that there are NO MORE STATIONS EVER with finality!”  Okay fine, only the captain and the station died, but that was pretty cool!  Compared to that, the only Star Trek Captain that comes close is Picard!  He’s blown up the Enterprise more often than the worst driver in the United States of America has crashed his car!

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Good point about the Yiridians, lol. They surely “acquired” the technology somehow.

But as for B5, they are only fighting gravity (more realistic for our current real level, of course), while in Star Trek they are creating it via a graviton field. Way cooler, and entirely fair, it IS Science Fiction, after all. ;)

Re holodecks, admit it , you’d love one yourself!

That scientific advances are more even distributed in Star Trek is true, but why is that so unlikely? You trade, you share, you steal, and they are all humanoid, after all, all going into space. The finer points might differ, but the principles…all advanced races will get them. Wasnt there this NG episode where they explained where the humanoid races came from? Seems logical to me that they develop in the same direction, if coming from the same “source”.

I agree, star trek is more distant future and babaylon 5 is more immediate future.  I guess I prefer to be able to imagine my grandkids exploring the universe than far distant relatives with no hope of even resembling me anymore doing so!

BTW, anyone here playing STO?  Gunna get us some Romulans here soon!  Woot!  Nothing as bad arse as a D’Deridex decloaking off the starboard bow, firing diruptors and plasma torpedoes!

• Customizer

I liked classic ST’s supporting cast better. I voted Picard though. Frankly I’m more of a Star Wars guy.

@toblerone77:

I liked classic ST’s supporting cast better. I voted Picard though. Frankly I’m more of a Star Wars guy.

Star Wars doesnt make sense.

If all Emperor Palpatine had to do was to get Luke to strike him down to convert him to the darkside, and Luke tried to strike him down (the attempt being the same as the action in his mind and spirit) shouldn’t he have gone back to Endor at the end and made his sister a slave and imprison his best friend as traitors, then declared himself Emperor?  How could he STILL be the good guy?

Not to mention, wizards in space???

Sorry, I digress.  For a 1977 movie, Star Wars was good.  Star Trek, however, in my opinion, is far superior since it’s based on magic and not midichlorians or however you spell that. =^_^=

• @Cmdr:

Sorry, I digress.  For a 1977 movie, Star Wars was good.  Star Trek, however, in my opinion, is far superior since it’s based on magic and not midichlorians or however you spell that. =^_^=

I hope to god you’re not referring to the first Star Trek movie? Have you gone back to re-watch that lately? It is unwatchable in my opinion.

The greatest strength Star Trek has over Star Wars is that after its creator, Gene Roddenberry, made one bad movie, the people around him had enough sense (and courage) to smack his hands away from the controls before he could completely ruin the series, unlike George “franchise-icide” Lucas. It’s really the only reason I think Star Trek has endured as well as it has.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I watched Star Trek TMP recently.  It didn’t seem all that bad to me?

Remember to put it in context with 1979…  and movies like Space Odessy.

• '10

I think that Captain Video tops them all.

• @Gargantua:

I watched Star Trek TMP recently.  It didn’t seem all that bad to me?

Remember to put it in context with 1979…  and movies like Space Odessy.

TMP is the most ‘hard’ sci-fi of all the Trek films. The most Trek of the franchise. TMP is a decent film. No one has the patience for films like that anymore. Just look at ST:INO II. Just another action movie.

• By the way, Patrick Stewart is currently in Montreal to shoot the latest X-Men movie.  There’s a picture of him in today’s print edition of one of the local papers, showing him somewhere downtown in ordinary street clothes with a newspaper under his arm.  I doubt that I would have recognized or even noticed him if I’d passed by him on the sidewalk.

@Clyde85:

@Cmdr:

I hope to god you’re not referring to the first Star Trek movie? Have you gone back to re-watch that lately? It is unwatchable in my opinion.

The greatest strength Star Trek has over Star Wars is that after its creator, Gene Roddenberry, made one bad movie, the people around him had enough sense (and courage) to smack his hands away from the controls before he could completely ruin the series, unlike George “franchise-icide” Lucas. It’s really the only reason I think Star Trek has endured as well as it has.    Â

As far as I am concerned, Star Trek II was the first Star Trek Movie…you mean there was one before it?  Nah, I won’t believe it.

• @Cmdr:

you mean there was one before it?Â

I once heard that one referred to as “Star Trek: The Motionless Picture.”

• '10

All these others were just recordings! Captain Video and His Video Rangers was LIVE television!

Captain_Video_title_card.jpg

• '17 '16 '15 '12

The beginning of Star Trek is very good though. Love the scene where the Klingons move through Vgers outer layers. Good music, authentic stuff.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@alexgreat:

The beginning of Star Trek is very good though. Love the scene where the Klingons move through Vgers outer layers. Good music, authentic stuff.

You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9xaO55LipQ

:P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m