NEW- Official Global 1942 version of the game- by Larry Harris

• Official Q&A

While we’re on the subject, Greg Smorey has done more for A&A over the years than anyone here.  He’s been running the tournament conventions for 20 years now.  Believe me, that is no easy job, and he has done it with grace and honor.

He has opinions, just like everyone else, and they are no more or less legitimate than anyone else’s.  If you don’t agree with those opinions, that’s fine.  If you don’t appreciate the convention tournament format, that’s fine too.  Everybody’s got their own way of enjoying (or not enjoying) A&A games.  However, after all Greg has done for these games he certainly doesn’t deserve to be accused in this way.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

No offense Kreighund, but YOU have done more for A&A than Greg ever has. ;)

Especially when considering the online community!  The only thing Greg Smorey has done for AA.org and the online community is regularily ostracizes us.

That said, I look forward to playing 42!

• I second that comment. Nobody spends more time helping people ( and alot more people i may add) than you Kreighund.

Exactly what part of “designed by Larry Harris” and “yes, it’s legit” did you fail to comprehend?

Well anybody can type anything. The fact that Larry is totally silent on commenting on this says alot. It’s sort of like AAM. They just slap AA name on it. It has nothing to do with Axis and Allies and Larry didn’t work on it either.

• “G42 Set-Up Rules for Alpha +3 By Larry Harris: March 2013”

Back in the old days of “Alpha+3”. I thought that - with 2nd Edition - we finally had left that behind.

• Unless Larry Harris from his own account on his own site posts " I have made this G42 scenario and hope you enjoy it", it is nothing but unverified dribble.

A document like that would never be created by him unless he himself at least commented on it first. Just releasing a document out of thin air and in a vacuum makes no sense whatsoever. He does not do that. Never.

• Official Q&A

@Gargantua:

The only thing Greg Smorey has done for AA.org and the online community is regularily ostracizes us.

The on-line community is not the entire world.  While it’s true that Greg has done little for that community, he has done a great deal for A&A as a whole.

@Imperious:

Well anybody can type anything. The fact that Larry is totally silent on commenting on this says alot.

Yes, anybody can type anything.  My point was that Greg is an honorable man, and I confirmed that it was legitimate.  As for Larry’s lack of comments, I’m sure that he felt little need to say anything on-line, as this is mainly for tournament play at this point and I had already confirmed its legitimacy.

@Imperious:

Unless Larry Harris from his own account on his own site posts " I have made this G42 scenario and hope you enjoy it", it is nothing but unverified dribble.

It’s nice to know that my confirmation carries so much weight.

@Imperious:

A document like that would never be created by him unless he himself at least commented on it first. Just releasing a document out of thin air and in a vacuum makes no sense whatsoever. He does not do that. Never.

If this works out well, I’m sure there will be an “officially” endorsed variant posted on Harris Game Design.  Until that time, feel free to embrace it or ignore it at your discretion.

• Look here. Larry does not create scenarios out of thin air without input from a very well tried process. He does not say nothing and let somebody else speak for him and they post it on their site.

I know you speak for him at times, but this whole thing screams shenanigans from the point in how it just “poof” appears, why it appears, and where it appears.

Reasonably you would expect something posted on his own site and in his own words. We all trust you but this whole thing does not make sense. Seriously.

I won’t say anything bad about it and wait till Larry makes some statement first. What you say does carry weight, but you too might be just relying on somebody else for verification.

Now then if you got a message from Larry rather than doing the “Greg is honorable thing” so you believe him, that’s different.

Please understand this. You are the best and we Love you.

• I got clarification from Larry Harris:

As Per PM:

I did!
    It could become a tournament game… It uses the combined maps of Eur40 and Pac40 and at the same time it skips past all those pre-war neutral considerations that are in Global 40. With this scenario (setup actually) the game puts us right in the middle of the war (1942).

I thought it would be a good use of resources :P

Ok so now moving it to Global 40 until a sub forum is created.

• Yeah this Greg peeson looked to me like someone that wants a fight and has a bad opinion of the online community as a whole.
    Yet you all shouldnt attack him always. We could be all friends lol. I myself Im glad theres a lively online community. I cant participate to Greg’s conventions being European.

• Sponsor

For the record, Oztea’s 1941 setup was very well done and didn’t need “official” approval to be played and enjoyed by many open minded members here. There are very creative people in this community, but we bicker amoungst ourselves and wait obediently for Larry to throw us a bone. That said, can someone please tell me if this “legitimate” setup is actually worth playing?

• @Imperious:

I second that comment. Nobody spends more time helping people ( and alot more people i may add) than you Kreighund.

Exactly what part of “designed by Larry Harris” and “yes, it’s legit” did you fail to comprehend?

Well anybody can type anything. The fact that Larry is totally silent on commenting on this says alot. It’s sort of like AAM. They just slap AA name on it. It has nothing to do with Axis and Allies and Larry didn’t work on it either.

Agreed, its house rules until we here from the man himself.  That being said…what a cheap setup…someone just pasted the 42 base game setup to this Global map-not very creative.  Oztea’s setup is much better than this.

• Larry did say this:

I did!
    It could become a tournament game… It uses the combined maps of Eur40 and Pac40 and at the same time it skips past all those pre-war neutral considerations that are in Global 40. With this scenario (setup actually) the game puts us right in the middle of the war (1942).

I thought it would be a good use of resources Tongue

• @Imperious:

Larry did say this:

I did!

I thought it would be a good use of resources Tongue

Then he needs to change the setup- Alpha+4 anyone???

• Sorry, not buying it. I know how Greg felt about the online community getting preference over his opinions. He wasn’t happy about that. Despite his great contributions to the AA community, its very hard to believe that he didn’t have a heavy hand in the creation of this version.

1. The creation of this version was never introduced to the online community.

2. It was posted on Smorey’s site not on Larry’s site (which would have been neutral).

3. Larry never introduced it first.

C’mon, give me a break. My suspicion is Smorey got upset, talked to Larry and got his own version he endorsed. End of story- what a baby.

• Well i was suspicious all the way. Not even borderline. But since that PM was confirmed by Larry it is doubtful Larry would lie. I figured Kreig was duped by Greg.

My opinion has now totally changed, yet i have no idea why it wasn’t posted on HGD. I agree with all your points BTW. I too think how it was introduced was just to get Greg more internet clicks.

Somebody should repost it here in a printable form because it does not format correctly if you copy and paste.

• TripleA

Different starting setup. Different NOs.

Same rules other than that?

No politics right? Everyone at war? Turn order?
    ~
    Germany can’t go first because he would start with about 42% to take Russia. Pretty close to a coin flip to sit down and instantly win or lose the game.

Japan would have to go first in this version or Russia could BS Japan by rolling mech over starting round 2.

Version requires a little bit more play testing in my opinion.

• The NOs are meant to be the same, ignoring any ones while not at war.
    Japan and Russia still have their pact, but it can be broken by either side  as usual.
    Turn order is different too(Russia starts and can reconquer most of its lost territory).

• TripleA

Well I am not too enthusiastic about this version.

I would have to see the full turn order and see how full cheese plays out.

• @wittmann:

Japan and Russia still have their pact, but it can be broken by either side  as usual.

What about Korea then? In 2nd Edition it is part of the pact (other than in Alpha+3.x)?

• TripleA

they should get rid of that pact for this version.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m