NEW- Official Global 1942 version of the game- by Larry Harris

• http://smo63.fatcow.com/pdf/G42setup2013411.pdf

I’ve noticed that this document is on Greg Smorey’s site (smoreyswamp)- GM of the FTF AA tournaments at Origins and GenCon. � I know he as well as some of the hardcore FTF tourny players disliked the 2nd edition of G40 very much. � I know for a fact that he felt slighted b/c Larry listened to the online AA community on the revision of G40 (Alpha+3/2nd ed) over himself. �

It seems as if Greg may have had a heavy hand on this new 42 version otherwise it would have been posted on Larry’s site first and not Greg’s- I assume Larry will eventually put it on his site. � Kreighund stated some things have to be corrected still.

That being said, its nice to have 2 versions of this game- a longer 1940 version and a somewhat shorter 1942.

The real question is…“Is this version balanced???- Better or worse???”

We’ll leave it to the best AA players in world at AA.org to put it through the crucible of scrutiny. :wink: � :D

• From Krieghund on Larry’s site:

“The turn order is supposed to be Soviet Union, Japan, United States, China, United Kingdom, Italy, ANZAC, France, and Germany.”

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18258

• Thanks Questioneer.
    That is weird Germany being last.
    I liked the look of the Med for the Axis, but this changes everything.

• Well this is much better, it just basically starts on R4 (or R5?)

So the turn order doesnt change after all !

• Yeah, just about.  The turn order is essentially the same.  There is a setup conflict in z49 and Tunisia though.  I attached the TripleA file so you all can take a look at it.  I’m not real crazy about the setup- A lot LESS pieces and things are really spread out.

Its seems to have Greg’s mark all over it.  He heavily favored the AA50-42 version over the 41 (AA.org favorite).  It looks like someone just took the setup from AA50-42 and nearly pasted it to this Global map.  Ridiculous if you ask me.  Looks like a very boring version.  I’m sure after some playtesting, some major problems will surface.  Greg will probably claim this as the system to use at his tournys now.  Notice how this version was never introduced to the online community.  Greg would’ve wanted it that way.

Personally, I think its a farce- this is not Larry’s version- its Greg’s “I didn’t get my way so I’m gonna make my own” version.  It simply has Larry’s name on it.

• Triple A file of the setup

G42setup.tsvg

• Unless Larry has some post that says: “I just developed this new 1942 setup for my G40 game”…these threads remain as Greg’s house rules.

Not to mention we have other threads on this same topic already.

• You’re right, I just noticed the first paragraph.  He says “I call this…” but then he uses Larry’s name for the game.  A little deceiving.  So not really by Larry, nor official.

• Yikes, cats out of the bag.
    I don’t think Larry had 100% control over the project, so it may only be as good as a ‘designer endorsed’ ruleset.
    Distinct from an ‘official’ ruleset.

Still, its a shame I can’t get Larry or Krieg to even bat an eye at my 41 or 42 setups.
    If they want to shift stuff around and call it official, by all means they can, it won’t bother me. (though it would be worth asking why some things are where they are)

• It is not official unless LH says he created it or officially endorses it as an official scenario. If Larry had worked on it don’t you think he might have posted something?

Right now all it is is somebody hiding behind Larry’s name to raise his standard by nefarious means.

• Official Q&A

@questioneer:

Personally, I think its a farce- this is not Larry’s version- its Greg’s “I didn’t get my way so I’m gonna make my own” version.  It simply has Larry’s name on it.

Exactly what part of “designed by Larry Harris” and “yes, it’s legit” did you fail to comprehend?

@questioneer:

It seems as if Greg may have had a heavy hand on this new 42 version otherwise it would have been posted on Larry’s site first and not Greg’s- I assume Larry will eventually put it on his site.

Greg had nothing to do with designing it.  He posted it on his site because it was Larry’s intention to debut it at the convention tournaments.  The intent was to provide a shorter game that would fit better into the face-to-face tournament format.  If other folks enjoy it as well, so much the better.

• @Krieghund:

Exactly what part of “designed by Larry Harris” and “yes, it’s legit” did you fail to comprehend?

aww snap!

• Official Q&A

While we’re on the subject, Greg Smorey has done more for A&A over the years than anyone here.  He’s been running the tournament conventions for 20 years now.  Believe me, that is no easy job, and he has done it with grace and honor.

He has opinions, just like everyone else, and they are no more or less legitimate than anyone else’s.  If you don’t agree with those opinions, that’s fine.  If you don’t appreciate the convention tournament format, that’s fine too.  Everybody’s got their own way of enjoying (or not enjoying) A&A games.  However, after all Greg has done for these games he certainly doesn’t deserve to be accused in this way.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

No offense Kreighund, but YOU have done more for A&A than Greg ever has. ;)

Especially when considering the online community!  The only thing Greg Smorey has done for AA.org and the online community is regularily ostracizes us.

That said, I look forward to playing 42!

• I second that comment. Nobody spends more time helping people ( and alot more people i may add) than you Kreighund.

Well anybody can type anything. The fact that Larry is totally silent on commenting on this says alot. It’s sort of like AAM. They just slap AA name on it. It has nothing to do with Axis and Allies and Larry didn’t work on it either.

• “G42 Set-Up Rules for Alpha +3 By Larry Harris: March 2013”

Back in the old days of “Alpha+3”. I thought that - with 2nd Edition - we finally had left that behind.

• Unless Larry Harris from his own account on his own site posts " I have made this G42 scenario and hope you enjoy it", it is nothing but unverified dribble.

A document like that would never be created by him unless he himself at least commented on it first. Just releasing a document out of thin air and in a vacuum makes no sense whatsoever. He does not do that. Never.

• Official Q&A

@Gargantua:

The only thing Greg Smorey has done for AA.org and the online community is regularily ostracizes us.

The on-line community is not the entire world.  While it’s true that Greg has done little for that community, he has done a great deal for A&A as a whole.

@Imperious:

Well anybody can type anything. The fact that Larry is totally silent on commenting on this says alot.

Yes, anybody can type anything.  My point was that Greg is an honorable man, and I confirmed that it was legitimate.  As for Larry’s lack of comments, I’m sure that he felt little need to say anything on-line, as this is mainly for tournament play at this point and I had already confirmed its legitimacy.

@Imperious:

Unless Larry Harris from his own account on his own site posts " I have made this G42 scenario and hope you enjoy it", it is nothing but unverified dribble.

It’s nice to know that my confirmation carries so much weight.

@Imperious:

A document like that would never be created by him unless he himself at least commented on it first. Just releasing a document out of thin air and in a vacuum makes no sense whatsoever. He does not do that. Never.

If this works out well, I’m sure there will be an “officially” endorsed variant posted on Harris Game Design.  Until that time, feel free to embrace it or ignore it at your discretion.

• Look here. Larry does not create scenarios out of thin air without input from a very well tried process. He does not say nothing and let somebody else speak for him and they post it on their site.

I know you speak for him at times, but this whole thing screams shenanigans from the point in how it just “poof” appears, why it appears, and where it appears.

Reasonably you would expect something posted on his own site and in his own words. We all trust you but this whole thing does not make sense. Seriously.

I won’t say anything bad about it and wait till Larry makes some statement first. What you say does carry weight, but you too might be just relying on somebody else for verification.

Now then if you got a message from Larry rather than doing the “Greg is honorable thing” so you believe him, that’s different.

Please understand this. You are the best and we Love you.

• I got clarification from Larry Harris:

As Per PM:

I did!
    It could become a tournament game… It uses the combined maps of Eur40 and Pac40 and at the same time it skips past all those pre-war neutral considerations that are in Global 40. With this scenario (setup actually) the game puts us right in the middle of the war (1942).

I thought it would be a good use of resources :P

Ok so now moving it to Global 40 until a sub forum is created.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m