Game report for 1914…from Larry Harris

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

This seems pretty cool thus far! Does anyone else feel just 4 rounds to get to 1917 seems a little quick though? Especially since decisive battles will be few and far between with one round attacks? The CP has just 4 attacks to crush the allies before America and it’s power house economy comes over and puts the hurt on. If the game follows history the CP is done once the US shows up in numbers. They really needed to take France out before then to win, but maybe it will take the U.S. a couple rounds to really do anything. Over all I’m liking the rules, but still wish there was a blow up box for the Western front.

Perhaps the Naval situation will have it optimal for Germany being a bit more aggressive with their subs than they were in the war. It does seem a little weird that it is so soon, but that would be a plausible way to explain the early US entry if the turns are less than a year but USA comes in on 4.

As for the blow up box, have you played The Great War on TripleA?

• IL, maybe it will be a quicker game and that definitely would be cool. For most people A&A is too long and hard to get new people to devote the time. Just us super fans love the 12 hour gaming sessions. And it probably will and should historically take the US a little time to actually really hurt the CP so it will work out fine.

Vorbeck, yes I have played that and I love that idea of the blow up box. Adds so much for the western front. In this game it will be like two spaces probably that France and Germany just put men in over and over. Seems kinda boring. The blow up box allows some movement while giving it the impression of not really getting anywhere. Plus it’s awesome on that game in Triple A when you send units from the larger strategic map to the blow up box. It really gives it a thematic sense of sending men into the trenches. I will probably make house rules for this game to include that if there is a way to make it balanced. Maybe future deluxe editions could include the blow up box. We’ll see.

• They phased them out since classic, then went with larger maps eventually as the solution. I don’t think we will ever see those again.

• I’m most interested in the Turn Time,4 does seem a bit rapid to get the US in so I keep thinking
    a Turn Year will be divided into monthly/Seasonal  periods of some sort.

• Perhaps the US gets to start BUILDING at turn 4, but starts with no units.
    So that way, their entry to the war will really be like turn 6 or 7

• Customizer

If it starts with no units how is it going to invade Haiti and Mexico?

• Thats why the allies should get Zeppelins, and travel where they like and bomb.

• Customizer

Very difficult to see, but I don’t think Mexico is on the map. Pity; it’d be an option for Germany to “mobilize” its Latino ally by sending a battleship to Vera Cruz.

Then you could tell us all that it was the boat that triggered the war…

• Notes- only notes can do that.

• Customizer

What if the boat were carrying the note?

I still think the American election of 1916 should feature somewhere, with a Hughes Presidency meaning an immediate declaration of war.

Then you could argue that it was the V… you get the idea.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’ve had aboat anote of this!

• Customizer

I don’t see the need for blowing up the Western Front area. For me, this would actually remove the true feeling of that conflict. The entire point of it was that so many men were fed into a short and static front, which barely changed for 4 years. It should feel congested and static. It was a war of attrition with no room for flanking movements. Just two areas between the Sea and Switzerland would be fine.

The only reason America comes in on turn 4 is to pander to the US market. Personally I think this underestimates them, but the marketing departments clearly think otherwise. No American planes or tanks made it to Europe in time to fight, so a lot depends on if and how France and Britain can supply them with hardware.

@Admiral_Thrawn:

IL, maybe it will be a quicker game and that definitely would be cool. For most people A&A is too long and hard to get new people to devote the time. Just us super fans love the 12 hour gaming sessions. And it probably will and should historically take the US a little time to actually really hurt the CP so it will work out fine.

Vorbeck, yes I have played that and I love that idea of the blow up box. Adds so much for the western front. In this game it will be like two spaces probably that France and Germany just put men in over and over. Seems kinda boring. The blow up box allows some movement while giving it the impression of not really getting anywhere. Plus it’s awesome on that game in Triple A when you send units from the larger strategic map to the blow up box. It really gives it a thematic sense of sending men into the trenches. I will probably make house rules for this game to include that if there is a way to make it balanced. Maybe future deluxe editions could include the blow up box. We’ll see.

Axis&Allies1914plain.PNG

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What’s the word on the bolshevik revolution?

• That would depend on what the note says.

• Customizer

No, it depends on what they wrote in it.

• And the decisions and anticipations that caused it to be sent.

• @Gargantua:

Turn 3 Lenin is sent across Germany with a NOTE :-D

• @Imperious:

That would depend on what the note says.

Oh Boy!

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

The crew of Battleship Potemkin have been holding a ballot on support for the revolution. One of them will pass me a message when its done.

So when the bloke on the boat with the note on the vote comes round I’ll tell you what they wrote in the note on the vote on the boat.

• Flashman :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m