• '12

It was a terrible event.  The sad thing is nothing will change after this event.  People will use this event for their cause, and the other side will also use this event for their cause.  The same arguments will be re-hashed.  Sadly, in a few years from now, there will be no new laws that might help reduce events like this if that is even possible.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Jermofoot:

This is something I’m actually serious about and am not too soft to pull punches.  And call me a jerk all you want:  I’m not going to flinch when I think ridiculous ideologies and those that espouse them are harmful and will call them out on it.  Someone has to.

Besides, I’m a grown man, and if I can’t handle a simple insult that I’ve heard a million times before, then I should be nowhere in public or on the internet.

Good. I am glad we agree then. And I am also pleased to see that you took my comment in the spirit it was meant. Stick to your principles and I will stick to mine; can’t ask much more than that. But in any case, you did not seem to be very respectful of whatever his opinion was. My point was criticism of your delivery, not your message.

@Jermofoot:

Besides, I’m a grown man, and if I can’t handle a simple insult that I’ve heard a million times before, then I should be nowhere in public or on the internet.

I think that is very much the point of this entire thread, and hopefully we have just illustrated a ‘proper’ reaction to criticism, failure, embarrassment, or whatever the negative catalyst may be.

• "You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here’s why.

It’s because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he’ll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN’s article says that if the body count “holds up”, this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer’s face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer’s identity? None that I’ve seen yet. Because they don’t sell. So congratulations­, sensationalist media, you’ve just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man’s name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@aequitas:

It’s because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he’ll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

I very much agree. It is about fame as much as it is anything else… probably more.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

In typical Gargantuan Fashion, I will acknowledge that this event is incredibly tragicy, BUT I am going to take the pains to point out that THER ARE BIGGER THINGS TO CONSIDER.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98055567

Why don’t we all talk about adressing HUGE problems. Like traffic Fatalities?  A million children die every year worldwide, because people drive unsafely - And no one cares about them?

20 < 1 Million IMO.

If we can make one change that saves 100,000 lives… we can say we counted for something.

• Why don’t we all talk about addressing HUGE problems. Like dying from old age?
    Why don’t we all talk about addressing HUGE problems. Like dying from accidents ?
    Why don’t we all talk about addressing HUGE problems. Like the coming meteor?

Perhaps just addressing controllables like some mentally unstable kid shooting other kids is a more fertile topic that can be solved.

Traffic Fatalities are the #1 most preventable form of death in the world.

Read the WHO report I cited.

“Once a child reaches age 9, injuries become the leading cause of death,”

• Traffic Fatalities are the #1 most preventable form of death in the world.

Read the WHO report I cited.

Right a guy blows his tire and crashes…
    A guy overheats his car and pulls over and gets run over due to drunk driver…
    Storm causes a car to go off the road and crash…
    You can’t stop these events even with careful planning. They just happen.

Some accidents can be prevented, others not. Most of them not.

• Gargantua , with all due respect, please STOP putting out this NONSENSE!…
    I understand that you have a diffrent view point of some issues in this world but it is not an excuse to compare this shooting on a Elementary School with Traffic Fatalities.

If we think this is just happening every once in a while then we err.
    In the past 2-3 month, Families in Europe were just plain wiped out because one parent decided it is better to be dead.
    Dad called Mom or Mom called Dad to inform the Partner that they take the kids to a better place,  killed the kids and then them selfs.

If you don´t have Kids then I do understand that your view may differ, but I beg you to release your grip in commenting in your usual provoking way!

Again: are we too soft as a society ? - NO but we are way to Pride! Â

and when our money or our kids are be taken away from us , we are hurt the most.

@aequitas:

Gargantua , with all due respect, please STOP putting out this NONSENSE!…
    I understand that you have a diffrent view point of some issues in this world but it is not an excuse to compare this shooting on a Elementary School with Traffic Fatalities.

If we think this is just happening every once in a while then we err.
    In the past 2-3 month, Families in Europe were just plain wiped out because one parent decided it is better to be dead.
    Dad called Mom or Mom called Dad to inform the Partner that they take the kids to a better place, � killed the kids and then them selfs.

If you don´t have Kids then I do understand that your view may differ, but I beg you to release your grip in commenting in your usual provoking way!

Again: are we too soft as a society ? - NO but we are way to Pride! �Â

and when our money or our kids are be taken away from us , we are hurt the most.

Well EXCUSE ME for commenting that we should try to prevent the some of the 1 million child deaths expected for next year.

• Hi Vance, Guest.
    Hope you are well.
    You are missed.

• He blamed that girl for hanging herself…calling her a coward of all things…a 14 year old.

I wonder what he would call the extremist in Norway who killed like 77 people on that island…The victims are probably cowards too right?

Good Grief.

• I saw Vance, Guest posted. It has since been deleted.
    Who [gave] me minus one for seeing Vance was on for a while?
    Speak up.

@Imperious:

He blamed that girl for hanging herself…calling her a coward of all things…a 14 year old.

I wonder what he would call the extremist in Norway who killed like 77 people on that island…The victims are probably cowards too right?

Good Grief.

I’m sorry - was there someone else in the room that tied the rope around her neck? No. She wanted everyone to feel sorry for her, and now they all do - as she murdered herself.

Yes - I blame her for how she chose to end her own tragedy - She is soley responsible for what she did to herself

Why did she do it? General consensus is that she was too afraid to face the challenges in her life. So she killed herself….

If I went and “killed myself” because I couldn’t handle IL at AA.org, then who would be the idiot?

Don’t fret though IL - at the time I quickly went and flipped through my webster’s dictionary to put ‘words’ to the heinous and terrible act and this is what I found!

COWARD = Noun

A person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

What an accurate use of the english language on my part - however impolite you may find it.

I’m sorry you are offended that as a general rule I don’t hold murderers (Self or other people) in high regard. Let me know when you get over it.

• I’m sorry - was there someone else in the room that tied the rope around her neck? No. She wanted everyone to feel sorry for her, and now they all do - as she murdered herself.

Yes - I blame her for how she chose to end her own tragedy - She is soley responsible for what she did to herself

NO, she was undeveloped emotionally. [edited by GG] No matter what tragedy sets in, you always blame the victims or [say] …. “that’s nothing did you know how many people die from choking on chewing gum?” [edited by GG]

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m