• Customizer

Now here are the Naval pieces.
    First the Battleships and Carriers. I still find it odd that they chose a Soviet carrier for the Allies, but I also think it is cool. Even though the Soviet Union didn’t have much of a naval presence in the second world war, it’s nice for them to be represented anyway.
    The Kongo and Hood Battlecruiser sculpts look really good. Not crazy about Germany having an IJN Kongo or American having an HMS Hood, but cool looking pieces none the less.

Next are the smaller ships: Destroyers, Submarines and Transports.
    I really like the new sculpts for all of these and think they show much more detailing than previous WOTC pieces. The Japanese Akitzuki class Destroyer is really a skinny little ship. It kind of reminds me of the skinny little destroyers you would get with Xeno.

Well, enjoy the pics everyone.

Capital Sea Units.JPG
    Lesser Sea Units.JPG

• Excellent post!!  I’m really looking forward to these new pieces.

• Customizer

Thanks for the much needed details. Greatly appreciated.

• Thanks for the pictures.  Let us know how your first game turns out.

• LMFAO!!! I Love two things about this pic…

1. you bought a TABLE FOR THE GAME
    2. Underneath are countless HBG boxes that were used for delivery. I got a pile of them myself
  • '10

That is funny. I got the same thing going for me. A table I bought for A&A set up with a map on it and 50 little white boxes underneath. They’ve been there forever, but it’s like out of sight, out of mind.

• TripleA '12

Firstly, much kudos to knp7765 for his hard work on this. Pictures and details were amazing.

@knp7765:

I flipped through the Instruction Book and found no reference to the missing 2 IPCs from United States IPC chart. In fact, in the section in the front where it states the starting amounts for each country, that also says United States starts at 15 IPCs. So, I figure it is either a mis-print in the book and perhaps they simply missed a couple of small territories when counting up USA’s starting IPCs. OR it could also be a mis-print on the map itself. Perhaps Hawaii and the Philippines are not supposed to be worth anything instead of being worth 1 IPC each. Most of the other islands are not worth anything in this game, including New Guinea and New Zealand. Borneo is only worth 1 and East Indies is worth 2. So, maybe when the printed the map, they gave values to too many US territories by accident.
    I don’t know if there is yet a FAQ/Errata page for this game, but when there is, I imagine that will be one of the first things covered.

I actually think you’re right on the money there, mate. I also thought that the U.S. territories of Panama and West Indies were incorrectly given IPC values of 1, when I first saw the map. But we will find out soon enough I’m sure.

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

Firstly, much kudos to knp7765 for his hard work on this. Pictures and details were amazing.
    I actually think you’re right on the money there, mate. I also thought that the U.S. territories of Panama and West Indies were incorrectly given IPC values of 1, when I first saw the map. But we will find out soon enough I’m sure.

Thanks for the kind words Lozmoid. No, Panama nor West Indies have any IPC value. Here’s a list of the US Territories with IPC values:
    6 = Eastern US
    6 = Western US
    1 = Brazil
    1 = Alaska
    1 = Hawaiian Islands
    1 = Philippine Islands
    1 = Szechwan (Southern China)
    That totals 17 IPCs. It’s anybody’s guess which 1 IPC territories weren’t supposed to have a value. My guess is still for Hawaii and Philippines.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Philippines should be worth something. I’m thinking Hawaii and Alaska should be 0 if anything.

• I don’t think the 15 IPCs for USA at start is mistake.  My understanding is that USA is supposed to start with 15 IPCs for balance purposes, but collect 17 IPCs (or whatever current total is) at the end of their first turn. This reflects to a small degree that the USA is just starting to get its war economy in motion.  In Conquest of Nerath, an A&A style game set in DND universe, Wizards of Coast uses this mechanism (start with different amount than what your “base income.”)

• Customizer

So you think that you start US at 15 and after the first round automatically move them up 2? Well, I understand what you are getting at, but that wasn’t anywhere in the rulebook either. If they are going to do something like that, it should be laid out in the rulebook. After all, this is supposed to be a beginner level game and people just starting out with this kind of game will get confused if it isn’t laid out nice and simple in the rules.

By the way, played my first game today. Axis won everything in 7 rounds, although by the rules (2 capitals) they actually won in 5 rounds. Germany captured Moscow round 2 and London round 5.

It seems as though the game is Axis slanted, but would have to play more to be sure. England really seems to have gotten the short end of the stick. England is only worth 3 IPCs and therefore can only place 3 new units per turn. In this game more than any other, once the Royal Navy is taken out, England is almost defensless.
    For example: Germany attempted Sealion with 2 inf, 2 tanks, 1 fighter and 1 bomber. England had 4 infantry plus 1 US fighter. Both sides were wiped out. However, Germany still had it’s transports, a brand new bomber purchased this round, another fighter brought back from Russia plus 2 more inf and 2 more tanks waiting for another assault. On England’s turn, they could only place 3 new units on England. That’s the limit. Unfortunately, the US didn’t have another fighter to send. So, next German round, of course England falls.  I know this sometimes happens even in Global 40, just with more units on both sides, but it just seemed so weak and almost easy for Germany.

I will say the extra UK factories in India and Australia gave Japan some trouble. The actual unit limitations sure told itself. At one point I needed a 3rd UK destroyer but the game only comes with 2. I was able to use one from my regular A&A pieces but if someone only had this game, they would have to write UK Destroyer on a piece of paper and put it on the board. I also came very close to running out of German inf and tanks even though I was using chips everywhere I could. Personally, I would prefer to buy 2 of this game, one simply for extra pieces, then the game could be played properly.

Overall, I think this is a pretty cool game. While I’ve gotten used to Global 40, it’s refreshing to play a much simpler game once in a while. No SBRs, No AA guns, No shore bombardment. Yes, this is a very simple version, but still fun and not so time consuming as a game of Global or even 1942. This game took us roughly 3 1/2 to 4 hours, and that was with a couple of breaks in play and playing the game in a very leisurely pace. I would guess it was more like 3 hours of strict gameplay time. You have to keep track of IPCs on a sheet of paper, but that’s not so bad. I have designed some simple worksheets for just that purpose. I will try to attach one.

IPC chart 1941 page 1.xls

• Customizer

Well, I tried attaching one of my IPC worksheets but couldn’t get it to work. I designed them using Microsoft Works Spreadsheet. So far, I only know how to attach pictures which are “jpeg” and these worksheets don’t have that ending part. I can’t figure out how to attach one of these spreadsheets so you guys can see it. Oh well, not a big deal. I’m sure most of you will figure out your own way.

• Thanks KNP for the game session report!  I am looking forward to playing for certain.  I agree that the 15/17 IPC thing is a problem. It must be either a typo (should be 17 starting income USA, etc.) or they left out a note explaining that USA starts with two less than their base income.

• TripleA '12

Update…

Order status: Shipped

Delivery Estimate: Wednesday July 18, 2012

Get in!  :-D

• Great. But how? Amazon US you said and for 54$.
    I tried and only said July 27th. Not earlier. Oh well!
    Enjoy!

• TripleA '12

I don’t know how it all works, I just placed my order on Friday morning (GMT) and got the despatch email today this afternoon. The pre-shipping delivery estimate was something like July 22nd - 29th. And now the actual delivery estimate is 18 July exactly. Weird but there you go.

• @wittman:

Great. But how? Amazon US you said and for 54$.
    I tried and only said July 27th. Not earlier. Oh well!
    Enjoy!

I think the key might be that there is more than one entry for it under Amazon.  I saw the same thing at first and then looked around and found one that purported to be able to ship immediately… I then followed K’s lead and sprung for the one-day shipping, thinking “this is probably a mistake, I want them to get it out to me before they realize it!”

The one that announces it as a preorder is actually fulfilled by Funagain Games, a well-known game distributor (and they are offering at a solid discount, btw.)  Looks like the one that I pulled the trigger  on is fulfilled by Amazon itself, and I’m guessing someone in their bureaucracy screwed up and missed that they’re not supposed to be shipping them yet!  So jump in before they catch their mistake!

• Customizer

@DrLarsen:

I think the key might be that there is more than one entry for it under Amazon.  I saw the same thing at first and then looked around and found one that purported to be able to ship immediately… I then followed K’s lead and sprung for the one-day shipping, thinking “this is probably a mistake, I want them to get it out to me before they realize it!”

The one that announces it as a preorder is actually fulfilled by Funagain Games, a well-known game distributor (and they are offering at a solid discount, btw.)  Looks like the one that I pulled the trigger  on is fulfilled by Amazon itself, and I’m guessing someone in their bureaucracy screwed up and missed that they’re not supposed to be shipping them yet!  So jump in before they catch their mistake!

Oh, I am betting it is NOT a mistake. One possibility is the people at Amazon got ahold of this game and realized that everyone else isn’t shipping until the 27th and figured “Hey, let’s get a jump on all these other sellers”. Plus, they are offering it for the full $29.99 while most of the pre-order sellers are offering the game for significantly less (some as low as $19.25 ea) so Amazon is actually getting some of us to pay them MORE money for the same game.
    Another possibility is the reason they can ship it now is BECAUSE they are charging the $29.99 price. All the other sellers offering the game on pre-order for the lower prices is because they are getting the same kind of price break from WOTC. Perhaps Amazon actually had to pay a little more for these games so that they could sell and deliver them now.

• Customizer

By the way everyone. Me and my buddy have played a couple more games now. So far, Axis wins every time, in fact they seem to take a pretty big lead early. Some of it might be due to his and my playing styles, but I’m still going to say this game is definitely Axis favored. Maybe they start out too strong, just not sure.

Our last game actually took quite a long time – 14 rounds. Not sure about the time, but I would guess roughly 5 hours or so. It was technically an Axis victory, but you would really call it a Japan victory because the last combat consisted of two battles: one for Berlin and one for London. Yes, England ended up being the last Allied power left.
    Germany took Moscow. USA went mostly Atlantic and got a force in Western Europe and Southern Europe. Germany took back Western Europe, but then the Brits took it again. The US force in S Europe took a chance and attacked Germany, and won. Germany got their capital back, but then UK took Berlin. Germany got it back again, just to have UK take it again. This time there wasn’t any German forces that could retake the capital so UK kept it.
    Meanwhile, Japan managed to build up a large enough force to hit W USA. Japan and US exchanged Western US 3 or 4 times before Japan finally held on to it. Next round they attacked Eastern US and took it. Now, except for a few warships, USA was pretty much out of the game.
    UK liberated Moscow but Japan had already sent stuff across Russia and up from India so they took it back. Now with control of the Americas plus factories in Russia, it was only a matter of time before Japan hemmed UK in and wiped them out. Plus, Japan was making almost twice as much as UK by this time. (about 32 per round for Japan vs 15-17 per round for UK).
    Two main mistakes were made in this game. First was Germany liberating their capital twice just to end up giving the money over to England twice. Second was UK liberating Moscow without enough men and tanks to keep it from Japan. Under German control, it did nothing but once Japan got it, they could use those factories.
    I look forward to seeing when some of you guys try it out and see if you think it is Axis favored or not.

• @knp7765:

Me and my buddy have played a couple more games now. So far, Axis wins every time, in fact they seem to take a pretty big lead early. Some of it might be due to his and my playing styles, but I’m still going to say this game is definitely Axis favored. Maybe they start out too strong, just not sure. […] I look forward to seeing when some of you guys try it out and see if you think it is Axis favored or not.

Did you and your buddy switch sides during any of your games?  If the Axis wins regardless of who plays it, the rules may indeed favour the Axis.  If on the other hand the two of you always play the same side, then relative player strength may be the explanation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m