Axis & Allies 1941 First Preview

• Customizer

Djensen

Any chance of getting some close up shots of the new pieces?

Cheers

• @jim010:

Djensen

Any chance of getting some close up shots of the new pieces?

Cheers

I suspect the reason why we haven’t seen more yet is because Djensen is preparing some articles for the next days ;)

• @Rebel:

Nah… it’s an April Fool’s joke…

If somebody had suggested a few months ago that, in a future A&A release, the Americans would be given a Russian tank named after Josef Stalin, it probably would have been considered an April Fool’s joke.

• Customizer

Hey IL,
    A minor correction to your list of new sculpts:
    The British got the new Bomber sculpt – the AVRO Lancaster
    The US got the new Fighter sculpt – The P-40 Warhawk

Everything else looks correct to me. I would still like to know all of the classes/models.

• @knp7765:

I would still like to know all of the classes/models.

Me too.  In David’s opening the box video, in the scene in which he’s flipping through the rulebook, I couldn’t tell if the last pages of the rulebook (as in some of the previous rulebooks) identify the units on which each sculpt is patterned.  Hopefully they do.

• I can see why this game is only going for 30 bucks. Looks pretty cheap. No money and I didn’t see any setup charts. No chips either. Cardboard cutouts for chips. Wow what a downer. Wizards of the Cheap couldn’t be more correct on this one. This is the first AA game I am really not that excited about. I hope 42 has nation specific units or I will not buy either of these games.

• TripleA '12

From what I could see from the video, it looked like the set up charts were printed on the back cover of the rulebook…

• Founder TripleA Admin

Is this correct for the new sculpts?

Allied Tank = USSR IS-2
    Allied Fighter = US P-40
    Allied Bomber = UK Lancaster
    Allied Transport = UK Tower Hill
    Allied Sub = US Gato
    Allied Destroyer = US Sumner Class
    Allied Carrier = Ark Royal
    Allied Battleship = UK Hood

Axis Tank = German Tiger
    Axis Fighter = German FW-190
    Axis Bomber = German He-111
    Axis Transport = Japan Hakusan Maru
    Axis Sub = German Type VII
    Axis Destroyer = Japan Akitsuki
    Axis Carrier = Japan Akagi
    Axis Battleship = Japan Kongo

• Founder TripleA Admin

If you watch the video, the units are all easier to see.

• Can we see the setup charts?  :-D

• Please post a picture of the setup charts.

• Customizer

I suppose the game will be out in about a week.  We can wait.

• @jim010:

I suppose the game will be out in about a week.  We can wait.

Waiting is for Christmas. We want to see the charts now please :D

• Founder TripleA Admin

Here’s what I’m thinking for the upcoming previews of Axis & Allies 1941: map & setup, rules, and finally a game review. Maybe a time lapse video of playing a game.

• that would be fantastic. Just go over a turn with the new rules

• Board game geek summary says it uses “game mechanics” used in 2nd edition rules…
    Does that answer any questions?

It’s selling at $19.99

• Customizer

@djensen:

Here’s what I’m thinking for the upcoming previews of Axis & Allies 1941: map & setup, rules, and finally a game review. Maybe a time lapse video of playing a game.

Excellent plan.

• Hard to get excited bout these new sculpts. I’m so used to great quality of the HBG and FMG game pieces now that the oob pieces look cheap and amateurish.

• @Gamerman01:

Board game geek summary says it uses “game mechanics” used in 2nd edition rules…
    Does that answer any questions?

This reflects to the sales flyer. There it was said:

@sales:

Familiar Mechanics:
    This game utilizes the A&A game mechanics present in A&A 1942 2 Edition, as designed by Larry Harris (the creator of the original game).

• @djensen:

Is this correct for the new sculpts?

Allied Tank = USSR IS-2
    Allied Fighter = US P-40
    Allied Bomber = UK Lancaster
    Allied Transport = UK Tower Hill
    Allied Sub = US Gato
    Allied Destroyer = US Sumner Class
    Allied Carrier = Ark Royal
    Allied Battleship = UK Hood

Axis Tank = German Tiger
    Axis Fighter = German FW-190
    Axis Bomber = German He-111
    Axis Transport = Japan Hakusan Maru
    Axis Sub = German Type VII
    Axis Destroyer = Japan Akitsuki
    Axis Carrier = Japan Akagi
    Axis Battleship = Japan Kongo

The IS-2, P-40, Lancaster, Tiger, He-111, Akagi and Kongo listings look right, and they match the types/classes that were listed in the WotC announcement.

The Hood (also listed in the WotcC announcement) is definitely right for the British, but the Americans and the Russians share a different (and unidentified) capital ship, according to the still pictures which David posted.

The FW-190 (also listed in the WotcC announcement) looks right for Germany, but in the still pictures which David posted the Japanese fighter looks different from the German one.  It may just be because of the angle at which the pieces are lying on the table, or it may be that Japan has a different fighter from the FW-190 (in the same way that Britain has the Hood battlecruiser, while the US and the USSR have a different battleship).  Maybe David could look at his sculpts side by side to check if they’re the same or not.

The destroyers, subs and transports, plus the Allied carrier, aren’t named in the WotC announcement, so the classes listed here are guesses at this point.  Hard to tell definitively from the pictures if in each case the Allied countries all share one type and the Axis countries all share another; again, that’s something which David could verify for us by inspecting his sculpts side by side.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m