• '19 '17

@JDOW:

One rule question btw: Cruisers and battleships that unload Marines into amphibious assault can NOT do shore bombardment, right?
    I might remember the TripleA client still does allow that option so the player unloading marines needs to say “no” then?

They can do shore bombardment even if they unload marines.

• '15 '14

thx!

• '19 '17 '16

It’s actually quite trivial to update the .xml to have the combat movement before the purchase. Is there interest in doing such a thing or has it been considered and decided against?

• '15 '14

@simon33:

It’s actually quite trivial to update the .xml to have the combat movement before the purchase. Is there interest in doing such a thing or has it been considered and decided against?

I don’t get it. Why should combat movement take place before purchases?

• '19 '17 '16

@JDOW:

@simon33:

I don’t get it. Why should combat movement take place before purchases?

Practical reasons. In general you need to decide your attacks before you know what you want to buy. I find it annoying to have to plan out your attacks in your head first and then enter them in later.

• '15

It’s super helpful for folks like myself who have difficulty visualizing their entire turn and the reasonably expected results.

FOr example, you’re playing Japan.  You’ve got several major battles (and a few minor ones) to set up.  Until you can actually see what can go where and how much you’re going to lose, it’s tricky to know what you should be buying as a replacement.

Of course, these sorts of cognitive limitations are what keep me in the mid-tiers.  :-D

In practice, a lot of people will buy stuff, set up their combat move, then realize their buy doesn’t make sense, and redo their turn.  Changing the order will help simplify this process and make turns less time-consuming.  Note that we’re only talking about the combat move, not the actual die rolls.

• '19 '17 '16

It also makes it easier to use the battle calculator to see if you want to make an attack at all which will affect your buy.

• '15 '14

Ok. In fact, I never thought about that.

• I am playing my first bal. mod game in months, and I realize that (unless I forgot something) there is a powerful argument for marines that has never been made.

An argument for keeping them as is.

Since marines are treated as infantry on transports (they could have made them like non-infantry and that would have actually been reasonable), marines upgrade transports.

A transport can now take an artillery and a marine, a mech and a marine, or a 3/3 TANK AND A MARINE
    Contrast that with transports in classic  :lol: that cost 8 IPC’s and could transport only ONE TANK that was by the way 3/2, and NO INFANTRY with it (not that that’s relevant, just interesting comparison)

So transports can take marines to locations for cruisers or battleships or transports to pick up and take from there, and transports have the option of taking an infantry, AAA, mech, artillery, or tank along with, or 2 marines.
    Marines would be overpowered if you lowered the cost or upgraded their capabilities in any way.  They’re already awesome.  Plus you have something (besides AAA) to buy for 5 (if you don’t understand the significance of this I’m not going to take the effort to try to explain it to you), so marines are pretty much perfect as is.

A MARINE AND A TANK on a single transport!!  Holy cow
    A marine that has the option of being picked up by a cruiser or a battleship, which can also bombard when unloading them.  Jeez.  They might be overpowered already.  Maybe they should cost 6  :-D

• '19 '17

@Gamerman01:

I am playing my first bal. mod game in months, and I realize that (unless I forgot something) there is a powerful argument for marines that has never been made.

Since marines are treated as infantry on transports (they could have made them like non-infantry and that would have actually been reasonable), marines upgrade transports.

A transport can now take an artillery and a marine, a mech and a marine, or a 3/3 TANK AND A MARINE
    Contrast that with transports in classic  :lol: that cost 8 IPC’s and could transport only ONE TANK that was by the way 3/2, and NO INFANTRY with it (not that that’s relevant, just interesting comparison)

So transports can take marines to locations for cruisers or battleships or transports to pick up and take from there, and transports have the option of taking an infantry, AAA, mech, artillery, or tank along with, or 2 marines.
    Marines would be overpowered if you lowered the cost or upgraded their capabilities in any way.  They’re already awesome.  Plus you have something (besides AAA) to buy for 5 (if you don’t understand the significance of this I’m not going to take the effort to try to explain it to you), so marines are pretty much perfect as is.

A MARINE AND A TANK on a single transport!!  Holy cow
    A marine that has the option of being picked up by a cruiser or a battleship, which can also bombard when unloading them.  Jeez.  They might be overpowered already.  Maybe they should cost 6  :-D

Yup there are situations in the Pac where you would buy a tp and marines and load them to send them towards the main fleet of cruisers and bbs, which results in barely any tempo loss (if you have extra units in Hawaii for example). That’s often a better solution than having your US cruisers and bbs stay on the West coast, especially considering you probably have a maximum of 3 units that you can produce there on US1.

However, I doubt you can replace inf with marines and be more cost-efficient that way in Europe for example.

• i’m loving marines, i’m finding myself buying them more and more (in my current game vs giallo i now have 5 ca 3 bb and 7 marines  :wink:)….one of the most brilliant innovations to the game in a while i must say, and totally breathes more life into these ships.

@Gamerman01:

I am playing my first bal. mod game in months, and I realize that (unless I forgot something) there is a powerful argument for marines that has never been made.

Contrast that with transports in classic �:lol: that cost 8 IPC’s and could transport only ONE TANK that was by the way 3/2, and NO INFANTRY with it (not that that’s relevant, just interesting comparison)

Marines would be overpowered if you lowered the cost or upgraded their capabilities in any way. �They’re already awesome. �Plus you have something (besides AAA) to buy for 5 (if you don’t understand the significance of this I’m not going to take the effort to try to explain it to you), so marines are pretty much perfect as is.

A MARINE AND A TANK on a single transport!! �Holy cow
    A marine that has the option of being picked up by a cruiser or a battleship, which can also bombard when unloading them.� Jeez.� They might be overpowered already.� Maybe they should cost 6� :-D

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

this is interesting.

I am a conservative player (probably too conservative) and find it hard to buy marines. Are they really that great??? Sure they threaten things, but is 5 marines (axis dominion) or whatever the number is, worth the cost? What are you doing with them? Sure taking Guam with Japan is good. But sacrificing a cruiser or a big boy is hardly worth it, is it?

• @oysteilo:

this is interesting.

I am a conservative player (probably too conservative) and find it hard to buy marines. Are they really that great??? Sure they threaten things, but is 5 marines (axis dominion) or whatever the number is, worth the cost? What are you doing with them? Sure taking Guam with Japan is good. But sacrificing a cruiser or a big boy is hardly worth it, is it?

hey i didn’t say i’m being cost effective, i’m just having fun with the marines  :lol:

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@axis-dominion:

@oysteilo:

this is interesting.

hey i didn’t say i’m being cost effective, i’m just having fun with the marines  :lol:

Haha! yeah that is right, don’t give secrets away!

• '22 '16

I am also starting to love marines.  They can do alot. But I’m not so sure I’m okay with two of them being able to be loaded on a transport or one of them and an art, tank,mech or AA on a transport.  Call me a traditionalist but Axis and allies has always had the transports have to carry at least one inf.  I’ve always looked at transports like they have a spot for 1 or 2 inf or 1 inf and a “special unit”, art, tank,mech etc.  I would consider marines in the special category.  Might balance out their awesomeness!!  Just my two cents.

• '19 '17 '16

I’ve always thought they’re overpowered. Maybe get rid of their amphibious assault bonus and/or support for a bombardment.

• Haven’t played a ton of balanced mod yet, but I would think the transporting of 2 marines on a single transport is rarely done
    That said, I really enjoyed your post

• '15

Well, one nice thing about Marines is that they don’t seem to be overly favored as either Allied or Axis units.  Both sides can potentially get a lot out of them.  In practice, I’ve seen them used more by Allies, but I think that will change as new strategies are developed.

• That’s a good point

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I think there may be a tripple a bug with France.  If Vichy is activated and the only unit left for France is the lone DD for some reason France then can’t declare war on Japan and is permanently neutral via Japan.

The politics option doesn’t even come up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m