Global 1940 is the best Axis & Allies game

• @wittmann:

You are right. In so many games they are soon overtaken economically by both Germany and Japan, which is silly.

Particularly in 1914. An income of 20? For most of the game?

• Hey guys,
    I love G40 as much as the next guy, but I do have a couple of problems with it…
    1. Time, it takes up to 6 hours to play the game, realistically, and that can be hard to crank out in an day.
    2. Players, it it great to play G40 with more players (and it’s pretty sweet to have them) but trying to convince 5 guys to play one game for a whole afternoon isn’t easy.
    3. Money, in G40 there is so much money poured into each economy that one power rarely can’t replace their losses. This leads to games that can go up to 20 turns! Don’t get me wrong I like the things you can do in G40 but it seems to get ridiculous.

I do like Global, and I think it is th best game, but in terms of playing, I like the shorter ones, but just my 2 cents…
    Thanks,

• “Time, it takes up to 6 hours to play the game,”

You play fast.

• @ghr2:

“Time, it takes up to 6 hours to play the game,”

You play fast.

Lol!

• I was a big player of the original axis and allies game which i played with my group of friends on several occasions and the one thing that my friends and i enjoy is scale. We used to love playing risk as kids and when my one buddy played the  original axis and allies and told us about it we jumped at it and loved it. i cannot describe to you the excitement that I got from finding out that there was an axis and allies board of this magnitude that makes my pool table the only viable playing surface. This game just looks epic every-time i start setting it up for my friends to come over and i just can stare at it for hours and make sense of all the strategies i have seen on the forums. Sure it takes half a day to fully finish a game but that is the fun of it! What else can you honestly use as an excuse for having your buddies come over and spend practically the entire weekend in your basement?.. And yeah cruisers cost a bit too much, America making 50 some ipc’s off the bat is a tad ridiculous, and Spain is somehow the size of Australia, but you know what?.. I love this game, i have loved it, and i will continue loving it because it is awesome and i can change the cost of cruisers and starting ipc’s and laugh its geographical inaccuracies because this game isn’t perfect and nobody expected it to be. But it makes me happy and thankful of my purchase everyday, and that’s why Global 1940 is awesome

• Totally AGREE!

• @BluGerman:

I was a big player of the original axis and allies game which i played with my group of friends on several occasions and the one thing that my friends and i enjoy is scale. We used to love playing risk as kids and when my one buddy played the  original axis and allies and told us about it we jumped at it and loved it. i cannot describe to you the excitement that I got from finding out that there was an axis and allies board of this magnitude that makes my pool table the only viable playing surface. This game just looks epic every-time i start setting it up for my friends to come over and i just can stare at it for hours and make sense of all the strategies i have seen on the forums. Sure it takes half a day to fully finish a game but that is the fun of it! What else can you honestly use as an excuse for having your buddies come over and spend practically the entire weekend in your basement?.. And yeah cruisers cost a bit too much, America making 50 some ipc’s off the bat is a tad ridiculous, and Spain is somehow the size of Australia, but you know what?.. I love this game, i have loved it, and i will continue loving it because it is awesome and i can change the cost of cruisers and starting ipc’s and laugh its geographical inaccuracies because this game isn’t perfect and nobody expected it to be. But it makes me happy and thankful of my purchase everyday, and that’s why Global 1940 is awesome

Makes me want to play with you :)

• @MistuhJay:

@wittmann:

You are right. In so many games they are soon overtaken economically by both Germany and Japan, which is silly.

Particularly in 1914. An income of 20? For most of the game?

i was thinking more of 1942 and 1940.
    I am not as concerned in 1914, as I thought the US did not invest as much in WW1 as they did in WW2 and the Allies definitely have the advantage in this game.
    I have also only played it once as I got fed up with the early rule changes. I am waiting until I see the rules and set up before I play again. The game disillusioned me.

• Customizer

i love the pacific side
    the airbases and naval bases really make it interesting

• TripleA

The Europe half sucks for me, the skirmishes only occur between Italy and UK, the rest is a big stack moving toward Russia, maybe a few infantry blockers here n there to fight, but it is a one way movement for the most part which is stupid.

• @Cow:

The Europe half sucks for me, the skirmishes only occur between Italy and UK, the rest is a big stack moving toward Russia, maybe a few infantry blockers here n there to fight, but it is a one way movement for the most part which is stupid.

Nobody ever came with a stacking rule and/or some kind of enlistment track limiting infantry and tanks that can be built (taking into account relative labor force of each country)? Those two simple house rules could improve the strategic feeling and flow of the game.

• @Meta:

@Cow:

Nobody ever came with a stacking rule and/or some kind of enlistment track limiting infantry and tanks that can be built (taking into account relative labor force of each country)? Those two simple house rules could improve the strategic feeling and flow of the game.

Interesting thought!
    Recruitment and stacking limits. I have tried to invent some as a houserule once myself but got stuck into balance-issues and decided it wasnt worth my time ;-).

But I guess it is doable for a smart person with time to do it (especially if getting paid for it >.<).

• '20 '18 '17 '15

“1. Time, it takes up to 6 hours to play the game, realistically, and that can be hard to crank out in an day.”
    I have NO problem with the amount of time it takes.  I may only get to play the game once a year, but it’s the best weekend of that year, without fail, every year.

“2. Players, it it great to play G40 with more players (and it’s pretty sweet to have them) but trying to convince 5 guys to play one game for a whole afternoon isn’t easy.”
    Find better friends.  Seriously.  I have to drive 5 hours to get my annual “War & Bourbon” weekend.  Totally worth it.

“3. Money, in G40 there is so much money poured into each economy that one power rarely can’t replace their losses. This leads to games that can go up to 20 turns! Don’t get me wrong I like the things you can do in G40 but it seems to get ridiculous. “
    You’re doing something wrong if it’s taking 20 rounds.  And units cost so much, it’s pretty easy to lose a lot more than your income on any given turn.

• Sponsor

@Veqryn:

the airbases and naval bases really make it interesting

I truly believe that this simple mechanic is the greatest evolution to the Axis & Allies franchise ever devised. Air bases and Naval bases add so much depth and strategic variables that it is a huge part of what makes G40 different from other A&A games. I love the fact that bases are useless on an average size map, and one must have the extra spaces that G40 provides to even allow the room needed for units to use bases. Air and Naval bases are simple units, but they effect the game greatly by effecting so many other units… Genius.

• Customizer

Guys,

@BluGerman:

I was a big player of the original axis and allies game which i played with my group of friends on several occasions and the one thing that my friends and i enjoy is scale. We used to love playing risk as kids and when my one buddy played the  original axis and allies and told us about it we jumped at it and loved it. i cannot describe to you the excitement that I got from finding out that there was an axis and allies board of this magnitude that makes my pool table the only viable playing surface. This game just looks epic every-time i start setting it up for my friends to come over and i just can stare at it for hours and make sense of all the strategies i have seen on the forums. Sure it takes half a day to fully finish a game but that is the fun of it! What else can you honestly use as an excuse for having your buddies come over and spend practically the entire weekend in your basement?.. And yeah cruisers cost a bit too much, America making 50 some ipc’s off the bat is a tad ridiculous, and Spain is somehow the size of Australia, but you know what?.. I love this game, i have loved it, and i will continue loving it because it is awesome and i can change the cost of cruisers and starting ipc’s and laugh its geographical inaccuracies because this game isn’t perfect and nobody expected it to be. But it makes me happy and thankful of my purchase everyday, and that’s why Global 1940 is awesome

––Amen, Brother!
    ––And you know what? I believe the next incarnation of HBG’s global map,….1936/39/40 will be even better as I believe the idea of “Evolution of Units” will be introduced. And yes, it will be an even longer, FUNNER game. I can’t wait for it.

“Tall Paul”

• Evolution of units?

• Customizer

Guys,

––As I haven’t questioned Doug about this yet this is only my opinion, and may be incorrect. And I certainly do NOT speak for HBG.

----“Evolution of Units” is where you start a game with older units available and throughout the game newer, more powerful versions become available as well as NEW UNIT TYPES. This is something that I have been thinking about and working towards for a while. But it looks like HBG is already doing the hard work for us (again).
    Example:
    U.S. player might start with
    P-40 (Early War Fighter), then P-51 (Mid War Fighter) made available, etc.
    F-4F “Wildcat” (Early War Naval Fighter), then F-6F “Hellcat” (Mid War Naval Fighter),
    Stuart (Light Tank), then Sherman (Medium Tank), then (Heavy Tank)
    “Nevada” (Pre War Battleship), then “North Carolina” (Battleship), then “Iowa” (Super Battleship).

––The above are nothing more than my thoughts,…and I hope might be included in HBG’s plan for their 1936/39/40 Global game and map they are planning to release next fall.
    ----I have several of the “Factory Cities” from the Risk, 2008 version that I had planned to use as Research Centers. I definately DO NOT like the way R&D is handled via the OOB standard rules. I simply wanted a more balanced version, that would allow any country who wanted more modern/powerful units, and new TYPES of units to simply buy a Reasearch Center and then at as tthe game progressed pay a fee to enable certain “technologies” to become available to them for production. I hope this is what HBG is planning for their 1936/39/40 Global game. If not,….it will be my “Home Rule” modification. I’ll talk with Doug and see if my “guess” is anywhere near what he plans.

“Tall Paul”
    p.s. - Below are pics of the “Risk” cities that I plan on using for “Research Centers”.

factories1-1.JPG
    ![$(KGrHqJ,!nwFIuFrlhWPBSMOZ!Y6Fg60_57.JPG](/uploads/imported_attachments/migrated/282496%24(KGrHqJ%2C!nwFIuFrlhWPBSMOZ!Y6Fg60_57.JPG)

• @Tall:

Below are pics of the “Risk” cities that I plan on using for “Research Centers”.

Yes, those are nice – I own a supply of them, and they can also serve well as major industrial complexes (with the plastic OOB ICs from earlier games serving as minor ICs).  The cities from Risk: Metal Gear Solid (see below) could similarly be used as research centres for things like advanced weapons, since they look somewhat futuristic.

Risk Metal Gear Solid Cities.jpg

• Customizer

CWO Marc & Others,

––Those are pieces interesting. But I prefer my “older-looking” pieces for WW2 Research Centers. Since “Allworkandnoclay” only finished some of my factories before he went on another “world exploration” I plan on using HBG/Shapeway’s smaller Factory as a Minor Factory along with my OOB Industrial Complexes for my Major Factories. I haven’t seen the Shapeway factories in person yet,….but from the pics (below) they are so much smaller that I believe they will be perfect.

“Tall Paul”

HBGMinorFactoryComp.jpg
    major_ic.jpg

• @Tall:

Since “Allworkandnoclay” only finished some of my factories before he went on another “world exploration” I plan on using HBG/Shapeway’s smaller Factory as a Minor Factory along with my OOB Industrial Complexes for my Major Factories.

Nice paint job!  Painting bricks on the factory chimneys must have taken a lot of squinting and an impressive degree of eye-hand coordination.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m