Preview of Axis & Allies Europe/Global 1940

• Founder TripleA Admin

The latest preview outlines all of the rules you need to play Axis & Allies Global 1940 with your Europe and Pacific game sets. I only left out National Objectives & Bonus income. (NOs are a lot of work to type up).

The preview includes two views of the map. One is over-covering my coffee table, which is big to begin with. The second is a semi-reasonable image of the global map that I stitched together to make it readable.

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/439

• Nice.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post all the goodies!

• “Soviet Union. Not at war. May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first. May declare war on Japan (the rule book indicates the game setting is before the non-agression pact, which was signed in 1941). When not at war with Japan, may not move units into China.”

Does this mean that if Japan declares war on the Russians they in turn can declare war on Germany?

• @Dany:

“Soviet Union. Not at war. May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first. May declare war on Japan (the rule book indicates the game setting is before the non-agression pact, which was signed in 1941). When not at war with Japan, may not move units into China.”

Does this mean that if Japan declares war on the Russians they in turn can declare war on Germany?

No, check the rules

The thing that continues annoying me is that the ACME wall passed to the global game and we don’t have any non-agression pact USSR-Japan  :-P

The only saving thing is that USSR cannot move units into China unless at war with Japan. That’s a good rule because at least it gives Japan a incentive to not declare war on USSR, but I’m wondering what stops USSR from declaring Japan anyway. Are USSR forced to do a real attack or they can just declare war on Japan and not doing any combat move? Because if it’s so, It kills the rule: if USSR wants aid China, there is not much that Japan can do to prevent it. Anyway, it seems a too small penalty even for Japan, I was waiting that one and also a big economic penalty for the attacker

• In fact, USSR could have another incentive to declare war on Japan. If at war, USSR can attack neutrals, so they could grab Persia income and units. So: DOW Japan, send much needed aid to China (aa gun and mechs maybe?) and grab Persia for commie cause  :-P

Probably USSR will be at war with Japan before that with Germany in most of games?  :x

• I suspect that russia will build an inf wall to block Japan, then russia will focus on germany. Whats an ACME wall?

• @strategic:

Whats an ACME wall?

For the love of god please dont ask!

The map is huge! I cant wait to get this game. I also love the quick shot of the A&A cat  :-D

• David-
    Thanks for the review and all the previews to date!
    Thoes426 :evil:

• David… I agree with all the rest.  THANKS so much for the effort you put into putting all this stuff online.  I hope WOTC appreciate how much you’ve heightened the anticipation for this game to all the arm chair generals out there.

• When a major industrial complex is captured, immediately downgrade it to a minor industrial complex. Adjust any damage to be no more than 6.

This is pretty new and unexpected……  :-o

Meaning Germany can forget pumping out a lot of units in France nor producing 10 inf a turn if they can pull off a succesfull Sea Lion.

• @Driel310:

When a major industrial complex is captured, immediately downgrade it to a minor industrial complex. Adjust any damage to be no more than 6.

Meaning Germany can forget pumping out a lot of units in France nor producing 10 inf a turn if they can pull off a succesfull Sea Lion.

They should also destroy captured minor complexes

• Thank you Djensen for providing this excellent preview.

Good point from Funcioneta that there is not much incentive for Russia to not declare war on Japan other than it’s less to worry about.

I really don’t like one of the United Kingdom rules.

“Units purcahsed with the Europe IPCs may only be deployed on the Europe map. Units purchased with the Pacific IPCs may only be deployed on the Pacific map.”

Talk about acme walls.  So basically any new units can’t move between Eur and Pac but can initial setup units?  Plus this rule also means that even if the Allies beat down Germany and Italy, but Japan has been successful in the Pacific then this rule means that the UK can’t send aid to the Pacific side.  How silly is that.  Split income is one thing but blocking units from crossing maps is stupid.

EDIT: wait I read it wrong, deployed, means you can only place new units on said side of the world.  Nothing is stoping units from moving from Europe to Pacific or vise versa.

• '19

@Driel310:

When a major industrial complex is captured, immediately downgrade it to a minor industrial complex. Adjust any damage to be no more than 6.

Well they can always upgrade it to a major IC the next turn but at least they dont get it for free anymore.

@Seven_Patch:

Thank you Djensen for providing this excellent preview.

Good point from Funcioneta that there is not much incentive for Russia to not declare war on Japan other than it’s less to worry about.

“Units purcahsed with the Europe IPCs may only be deployed on the Europe map. Units purchased with the Pacific IPCs may only be deployed on the Pacific map.”

Talk about acme walls.  So basically any new units can’t move between Eur and Pac but can initial setup units?  Plus this rule also means that even if the Allies beat down Germany and Italy, but Japan has been successful in the Pacific then this rule means that the UK can’t send aid to the Pacific side.  How silly is that.  Split income is one thing but blocking units from crossing maps is stupid.

They can cross the map you just have to deploy them on the correct side.  After they are deployed they can do whatever you want.

• @ksmckay:

@Seven_Patch:

Thank you Djensen for providing this excellent preview.

Talk about acme walls.  So basically any new units can’t move between Eur and Pac but can initial setup units?  Plus this rule also means that even if the Allies beat down Germany and Italy, but Japan has been successful in the Pacific then this rule means that the UK can’t send aid to the Pacific side.  How silly is that.  Split income is one thing but blocking units from crossing maps is stupid.

They can cross the map you just have to deploy them on the correct side.  After they are deployed they can do whatever you want.

That’s good, I re-read the rule and realized my mistake.  Thanks.

Anyway, my thinking is that if UK manages to survive any sealion attempts, it could (if financialy able) buy a minor factory on the Europe side of India and buy Infantry to move to Pacific.  Or just ferry units from South Africa if the Japanese fleet is not a threat.

• :-o :-o :-o  I need to change my pants

• Founder TripleA Admin

I think we need Kieghund to answer this one. What I wrote is not a carbon copy of the rules, it is abbreviated. But my interpretation is that this.

SU declares war on Japan, may NOT declare war on European Axis because Japan did not declare war on SU.
    Japan declares war on SU, then SU may declare war on Axis powers.

For other nations, it was more explicitly written.

@Dany:

“Soviet Union. Not at war. May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first. May declare war on Japan (the rule book indicates the game setting is before the non-agression pact, which was signed in 1941). When not at war with Japan, may not move units into China.”

• Founder TripleA Admin

Correct.

@Seven_Patch:

EDIT: wait I read it wrong, deployed, means you can only place new units on said side of the world.  Nothing is stoping units from moving from Europe to Pacific or vise versa.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes, they show their appreciation by sending me the board games early and sending other free product, when they have it.

@Bruda_Iz:

David… I agree with all the rest.  THANKS so much for the effort you put into putting all this stuff online.  I hope WOTC appreciate how much you’ve heightened the anticipation for this game to all the arm chair generals out there.

• Hey djensen,

First off, great job.

I got a question on the Political Situation.  In AAP40 the US could not enter any allied countries territory until at war (whereas UK and ANZAC could, with each other).  I would assume that this is also the case in Global and further assume this would also apply to the Soviets having the same restrictions.  I didn’t see this in your post.  Do you know if they (the US & USSR) have the restrictions?

• @djensen:

I think we need Kieghund to answer this one. What I wrote is not a carbon copy of the rules, it is abbreviated. But my interpretation is that this.

SU declares war on Japan, may NOT declare war on European Axis because Japan did not declare war on SU.
    Japan declares war on SU, then SU may declare war on Axis powers.

For other nations, it was more explicitly written.

@Dany:

Krieg said that if Japan declares war on Russia, Russia isn’t able to declare war on Germany until R4 or until Germany/Italy declare war on Russia

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m