Preview of Axis & Allies Europe/Global 1940

• Official Q&A

Right.  Here’s what the rules say:

The Soviet Union may not declare war on any European Axis power before turn four unless first declared war upon by a European Axis power.

@GrayBlaZe:

In AAP40 the US could not enter any allied countries territory until at war (whereas UK and ANZAC could, with each other).  I would assume that this is also the case in Global and further assume this would also apply to the Soviets having the same restrictions.  I didn’t see this in your post.  Do you know if they (the US & USSR) have the restrictions?

Yes.

• I have to say, some parts of that map looks really squished and detract from the overall appearance. They could have done a better job of drawing Africa by shrinking some of Russia’s north territories and possibly shifting things up a bit. Africa’s look really irks me and China looks somewhat badly drawn. I am excited for this game, don’t get me wrong, but the overall presentation kind sucks IMHO.

• @The:

I have to say, some parts of that map looks really squished and detract from the overall appearance. They could have done a better job of drawing Africa by shrinking some of Russia’s north territories and possibly shifting things up a bit. Africa’s look really irks me and China looks somewhat badly drawn. I am excited for this game, don’t get me wrong, but the overall presentation kind sucks IMHO.

Graphic artists are too expensive these days.

• To me the map looks super, I can’t wait to just set it all up and then drool (hopefully not on it) for like the next 30 minutes.

• @maverick_76:

To me the map looks super, I can’t wait to just set it all up and then drool (hopefully not on it) for like the next 30 minutes.

Ha, i’ll be doing the same.  Biiiig maaaap (drool).

• '10

When a major industrial complex is captured, immediately downgrade it to a minor industrial complex. Adjust any damage to be no more than 6.

love it! great rule

I have to say, some parts of that map looks really squished and detract from the overall appearance. They could have done a better job of drawing Africa by shrinking some of Russia’s north territories and possibly shifting things up a bit. Africa’s look really irks me and China looks somewhat badly drawn. I am excited for this game, don’t get me wrong, but the overall presentation kind sucks IMHO.

i think the board looks great.  its not an accurate representation of the world, its a game board

• @maverick_76:

To me the map looks super, I can’t wait to just set it all up and then drool (hopefully not on it) for like the next 30 minutes.

One way to protect the map from drool would be to cover it.  Several months ago, in anticipation of the Europe 1940 game’s release, I bought a large sheet of clear acrylic (custom-cut to the size I wanted) which I’ll be placing over the complete global map.  This is partly intended to protect the map from scratches and spills and other mishaps (including drool), but it’s also meant to ensure that I’ll have a completely flat surface on which to put the roundels and the sculpts.  Although the Pacific 1940 map looks great, I find it annoying that the surface is uneven due to the joint between the two panels and the creases along which each panel folds.

A fringe benefit is that the plastic sheet will enable me to correct the roundels which are printed on the board.  I don’t like some of the printed roundels because they’re not historically accurate (like the Italian one), and I dislike the fact that some of the printed roundels don’t accurately represent which power actually had jurisdiction over certain territories (like the Solomons, which were a British protectorate, not an Australian or New Zealand one).  I’ve made myself a boxful of custom roundels which are to my liking (laser-printing them on sticky-label paper and applying them to solid white bingo chips), and I’ll place them on the map’s printed roundels before covering the map with the acrylic sheet.  The roundels used in the course of a game will then get placed over the plastic sheet, where they won’t disturb the underlying layer of baseline roundels.

• How much was the piece of acrylic? I’m interested in getting it myself (for the ridges of course  :-D) and have no idea what something like that costs.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Don’t go by the stitched together map. That was is distorted to make the 4 pieces stick together properly. Go by the other photos you see. The stitched map is just for reference.

@The:

• @Driel310:

When a major industrial complex is captured, immediately downgrade it to a minor industrial complex. Adjust any damage to be no more than 6.

This is pretty new and unexpected……  :-o

Meaning Germany can forget pumping out a lot of units in France nor producing 10 inf a turn if they can pull off a succesfull Sea Lion.

I like it too, it also means if/when you get your capital back you can only pump out 3 units. It would be awhile before you would have the $ to upgrade (if at all). Should also be a rule to at least damage a minor IC when ownership is transferred.

• '10

I like this map.

Who needs space in Africa? :?

I need enough space for the main battlefields: Eastern front, China, Pacific

• '22 '19 '18

@marechallannes:

I like this map.

Who needs space in Africa? :?

I need enough space for the main battlefields: Eastern front, China, Pacific

I agree, it has the general shape of Africa and that is all I need.

• For the man that asked: regarding ACME walls

ACME wall is a rule that doesn’t allow a country attack another country (or move) outside from her national borders (Coyote, using the ACME stuff), even if the other country can attack the first freely (the Roadrunner)

This rule appeared for first time in anniversary edition, where China could not attack outside from China (they could not even attack at chinese coast  :-P ) and yet Japan (or Italy from the back) could attack China at pleasure. This is a ilogical rule, no army in the world’s history would stop at her national border just because it’s the border. And also leads to gamey strats as undefended bombers parked in front of big stacks of infs or safe spots to gather troops for a further attack

In AAP40, they not only kept the chinese ACME wall, the mongolians also built one! Japan can attack any mongolian territory but the mongolians cannot retaliate. Mongolians builds the wall so good that they cannot even move from one territory to other of their own country

For global, thanks to Good, the true neutrals rule means that the neutral ACME wall is not in the game (the soviets can “activate” mongolian units so they can retaliate). But the chinese ACME wall is still there. Some said that it was needed or chinese troops would escape to USSR, but I say that a solid non-agression pact rule forbidding the chinamen enter in soviet land if the treaty is in play would solve this

• @maverick_76:

How much was the piece of acrylic? I’m interested in getting it myself (for the ridges of course  :-D) and have no idea what something like that costs.

The sheet of plastic that I bought is a material called non-glare Acrylite P-99, originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness.  The local plastics company from which I bought it cut the sheet to the size I wanted, which is 36" x 96", so they just had to cut a slice from the width because the length was already correct.  (Note that this is bigger than is needed for the A&A Global 1940 map, but my wargaming table is larger than the A&A game requires).  They then shipped it to me by delivery truck, rolled up into a tube about two feet in diameter as I recall (the rolling made possible by the fact that the plastic was just 1/16" thick).  The costs (in Canadian dollars) were $60 for the plastic itself, plus $10 for the cutting, plus $30 for delivery, plus another $15 or so for sales tax.

My wargaming table sounds from its large size as if it’s unwieldy and expensive, but it’s actually something I put together fairly cheaply: it consists of four square card tables (the kind with folding legs) placed end-to-end.  If ever it needed to be put away, I could just fold the legs of the four tables and store them in a closet, but I leave it set up permanently and I use the space under it as storage space for my A&A sculpts.  I keep the sculpts sorted in plastic tackle boxes, which are slotted into a row of inexpensive wooden shelving units (the kind that you purchase flat and assemble at home with metal key) under the table.

I’ve got an old picture of the table posted in Reply #91 of this thread, which shows the configuration I used to have:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=15303.90

In its original configuration, the setup consisted of just the four folding tables.  I later decided that I didn’t like the uneven surface created by the joints between the tables, and that I wanted a bit more height, so I added a lightweight raised 36" x 96" slab to the middle of the table.  I made it out of three large canvases (painting canvases stretched over light balsa-wood frames) purchased at an art supply store, covered with a large sheet of inexpensive black cloth that I got at a fabric store for a few bucks.  The tables are black too, so it all blends together.  The result is a raised central section where the Global map will go (and which will be covered with the plastic sheet), plus a low-level “wing table” on each side of the central slab on which to put game equipment, note paper and so forth.

• Nice, well with depreciation of the dollar I would say that would probably be about what I pay for something like that as well. I will have to do some digging to find a place that does that, because I do admit that the ridges irritate me, not to mention the board separating from time to time if someone hits the edge or something.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m