NEW- Official Global 1942 version of the game- by Larry Harris

• '16

@oztea:

Dont you have grey chips?

Obviously he does. The problem is that there are 14 TERRITORIES with tanks.

• '13

Yes, i see why this wasn’t released to the public and only for tournaments.

I checked and i have the correct number of tank models. This sucks, I got to borrow from other games now.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Yeah, this makes the 1941 release come in handy.

• TripleA

wow guys,

seriously, who cares who made the friggin map variant

judge the game by how it plays, not who made it

Too true. Too true.

• TripleA

This game is total bs. With the way it is setup, Japan should go first, then USSR, then Germany.

• And to think I had hoped people had grown up after last year….oh well - there is still time.

• Founder TripleA Admin

How often do you guys talk to Larry personally? Have you ever? Greg regularly talks with Larry and just because and official announcement hasn’t been made yet, it doesn’t make it not true.

Greg is and deserves to be a well respected member of the A&A community. All of this amounts to whining and being mean. So stop it. Especially you IL, you’re supposed to be a Liaison. That doesn’t mean you get to bash on somebody with little information whenever you want. It means the opposite. You should be helping to sort out any confusion by contacting people through the proper channels. Questioneer posted that he is dubious so you role should be to find out the truth and not continue a flame war.

@questioneer:

You’re right, I just noticed the first paragraph.  He says “I call this…” but then he uses Larry’s name for the game.  A little deceiving.  So not really by Larry, nor official.

• So, I have to ask….how big of a jerk do you (Q and IL) feel now that what Greg listed is ‘official’?

I can answer that for you, if you’d like - but you, I and everyone else following this thread knows the answer to that…why it ever had to come to what it did is a mystery…

Can’t we all just get along…

MM

• You should be helping to sort out any confusion by contacting people

I did exactly that, by contacting Larry for verification. Once i got that i posted the same and dropped any claims i had ( notice no further posts). It was just an unusual way of presenting it from Larry.

• Founder TripleA Admin

But it needs to be done with grace and tact. Maybe Questioneer was the one who was more harsh but … ugh, just be nice and use nice words.

@Imperious:

You should be helping to sort out any confusion by contacting people

I did exactly that, by contacting Larry for verification. Once i got that i posted the same and dropped any claims i had ( notice no further posts). It was just an unusual way of presenting it from Larry.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

All the politics aside, has anyone notice that this game is an Allied sure thing?

The USSR will Crush!  Crush Germany R1!

I set it up, I played it.  The Axis die hard.

• Sorry guys,

I did apologize on Larry’s thread recently.  I just had to be convinced that this was truly Larry’s project.  Given the way the news broke out I was very skeptical of the motives behind the project based on conversations I have had with Greg myself.  I reacted a little harshly, just like Greg did at one point with some online players.  Things like this can get the best (or worst) of us sometimes.  At this point, I don’t really care.  Its a “tournament” setup for time’s sake.  I get that.

Still have yet to play it, but having played 2nd ed 1940 version 30 times or so, I can immediately tell that there wasn’t much thought into this setup…it seems grossly imbalanced and will probably need some retooling for sure.  Literally looks like the base game 42 setup was slapped onto the 1940 Global Map.

Now Larry is also retooling the rules to the 1914 game also- get ready for Alpha+1 again!!! or 2nd edition 1914.

Two things I’ve learned to count on with AA games: buy 2 copies b/c they never make enough pieces and buy the 2nd edition of each of the versions b/c the 1st ed. is always a rough draft.

I’ve learned to just get over these things b/c it just is what it is.

• @Karl7:

All the politics aside, has anyone notice that this game is an Allied sure thing?

The USSR will Crush!  Crush Germany R1!

I set it up, I played it.  The Axis die hard.

I agree Karl. Russia can retake far too much of its original territory on R1 and Germany has no effective counterattack. Egypt also looks totally safe and the IC often built there may not be necessary this time around. I do think it is hard not to let Italy get its Med bonus for two turns though. This extra 10 income should help it stay in the war long enough to help the European Axis.
    Bringing Germany forward in the turn order will give it the customary option(obligation) to attack the UK’s fleet and buy some time that it did not have under the original set up.
    I hope to try out the revised set up order and see if that gives my favourite side a fighting chance. If the turn order can be changed on AAA, I would definitely give someone a game.

• I agree with questioner and second his comments. I just don’t believe things before i can verify them and it didn’t seem natural for Larry to present his ideas like this.

• @djensen:

But it needs to be done with grace and tact.

He can’t do that.  It’s not in his nature.

The way he posts is “a window to the soul”.

• TripleA

This is 1942. Where are the Indonesian troops!?! The allies never liberated it in the real war. I demand more troops!

Everybody knows that Japan should start with some more inf on Indonesia. Put like 4. The game is bad enough without NOs, not getting rolls to defend islands when starting a losing war. What is this easy stuff?!?!

• @Cow:

This is 1942. Where are the Indonesian troops!?! The allies never liberated it in the real war. I demand more troops!

Everybody knows that Japan should start with some more inf on Indonesia. Put like 4. The game is bad enough without NOs, not getting rolls to defend islands when starting a losing war. What is this easy stuff?!?!

It is what it is Cow- a shorter (though I think that’s debatable) GenCon/Origins tournament version.  It definitely seems to be hand-crafted for that purpose.  Though like yourself, I agree just at first glance anyway that there are many issues.  The good thing is that the political stuff is gone (though I enjoy that in the G40 setup) the bad thing is that it seems to have a “closed” game with less variations and/or possibilities.

This reminds me of the AA50 variations of 41 and 42.  41 was the online favorite and in my opinion a more enjoyable game experience.  It played more “open” with more variations and strategy.  42 was the chosen Origins/GenCon edition (minus the NatObj also) which I loathed as others here did.  It was a game with less rules but it played more “closed” variations b/c of the maxed out Axis expansion.  The argument against the 41 was that it transposed into the 42 anyway which was absolutely a false assessment as proven online.  However for simplicity in rules and such the 42 was chosen for the Cons.

I say all that to say the it seems this version is going in the same direction as that one.  I predict the G42 will be a little simplier rulewise, but the true 2nd edition G40 game will remain the better quality game over time.  Also, I can’t see the G42 being able to accomplish a VC win faster than G40 based on that setup but we will see in a few months with more data.

Can you believe AA1914 is being retooled now???  That ridiculous- should’ve just waited for the 2nd edition.  :roll:

• TripleA

aa50 1942 was stupid. I hated how 1 sub vs 1 dd can determine so much of the game. I hated how a bad R1 ends the game.

The axis had an easy time in 1942. Felt like it was not playtested at all otherwise Russia would start with another armor and an inf or something.

This version gives the allies an easy time. I would like to see real battles for islands, 2 inf on each, then each island becomes an intense battle and makes it seem like the axis have a better chance.

• should’ve just waited for the 2nd edition.  rolleyes

BTW Larry referenced a 2nd edition like it was a fait accompli which i predicted.

Check out his posts.

• Fait accompli ?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m