Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Great, thanks!

What if: the Germans retreat after 1 round of combat? Will the transport in that case only be destroyed if the subs rolled a hit during that one round?

• If at the end of a round of combat there are only transports (or AAA) left, you can’t retreat.  So if the attacking fighters destroyed the last defending fighter in a given round, the attacker would have no options because combat is over.  The sub would have to stay there and sink the transport (well, unless you choose to submerge the sub before it scores a hit, because maybe you want the transport to survive - this is a possibility)

So if after 1 round of combat there is a remaining UK fighter, then the Germans can retreat, and the transport would be sunk if the sub scored a hit.  If after 1 round of combat all UK fighters are destroyed, then there can be no retreat

• Thanks! But I will rephrase my question because I still have a situation in my mind that’s not resolved. Maybe I’m just thick-headed. Apologies in that case…

Germany attacks with 1 sub + 2 fighters.
    UK defends with 1 transport + 2 fighters (scrambled).

Germany rolls 1 with the sub; and 6,6 with the fighters.
    UK rolls 1,6 with the fighters.

Germany wants to preserve its fighter and retreat. What happens to the transport; has the sub killed it in the 1st combat round? What happens to the sub if Germany retreats its remaining fighter and sub?

• @Ozymandiac:

Thanks! But I will rephrase my question because I still have a situation in my mind that’s not resolved. Maybe I’m just thick-headed. Apologies in that case…

Germany attacks with 1 sub + 2 fighters.
    UK defends with 1 transport + 2 fighters (scrambled).

Germany rolls 1 with the sub; and 6,6 with the fighters.
    UK rolls 1,6 with the fighters.

Germany wants to preserve its fighter and retreat. What happens to the transport; has the sub killed it in the 1st combat round? What happens to the sub if Germany retreats its remaining fighter and sub?

This is the order how to resolve this situation:
    1. The German sub has it’s surprise strike. As it hits, the hit must be assigned to the Transport. The Transport sinks and is removed from the game.
    2. The German fighters shoot and miss
    3. The UK fighters shoot and score a hit
    4. Germany removes a fighter, as the German sub cannot be hit by the UK fighters.
    5. Germany retreats the remaining fighter (during NCM) and the submarine (to a single adjacent friendly space from which it came from).

HTH :-)

• Right - thanks P@nther

• Thanks a bunch everybody! This clarifies a lot.

• HI All. I am new to the forum and I have some general questions and hope you guys can help. I am a very experienced Axis and Allies player having played on line for years with the old Hasbro version, 3 years at the WBC,  with my sons and a local group. Recently a friend of mine downloaded triple A for me but I have no idea how to play it on line. I am a bit intimated by computer stuff I visited War club buy could not figure it out. My Questions are:

-How can I play Global 40 on line or through e mails. Be as specific as possible I am slow at this stuff.

-We had a Big Axis and Allies game day last May and had 19 attendees, this year we met a great group from CT and have invited them. We are doing it again Jan. 28th in Whitestone Queens. Call it the Battle of NY for now. You can play any version but we are going to have a Tournament for Global 1940 2nd edition. The basic format is you play on a team and your team plays 2 games simultaneously. One as the Axis and one as the Allies. If you come alone we would find you a team. How would I advertise that on this site or anywhere else. We are thinking your team plays 1 game as Axis and 1 game as Allies. Allies get  aground bid of 15 1 unit in a country. You get points for a win and victory territories. Can I post that on this forum. Has anyone done this how did that work?

-Last question today I have read some posts on bids. What do you guys think is reasonable? This is related to the tournament I mentioned above. My experience is with less experienced players who do not go for Russia strong you may not need a bid but more experienced players might need a bid in the low 20’s for the allies particularly if you limit that bid to 1 ground unit in a territory you have men in already.
                                Any feedback is great.
                                  Thanks
                                      Mustang440

• Hi and welcome to the A&A.org boards!
    This thread is actually dedicated to questions about applying the rules of the game correctly

I encourage you to copy and paste the text of your post to a different thread - perhaps to “Player Help” or “Software”.  I will leave your post here, since we have a lot of helpful players who are experienced with playing TripleA on forums (and perhaps by e-mail or online) and would probably be happy to help you.

After you figure that out, you may be interested - check out the “league” forum on this site where matches between players are facilitated and a rankings list is maintained on a daily basis.  I am actually the moderator of that league so would be happy to help you or answer any questions about the league if you are interested.  League games are play-by-forum - players have up to 72 hours for each move generally, so you can make your moves at your convenience.  The league is very flexible and if your opponent agrees, you can modify this timing, along with just about anything else.

Someone else could probably help you with playing Global 40 online with TripleA even better than I - I am answering you first mainly because I’m one of the main guys who fields rules questions on this thread.

• '19 '17 '16

Here’s a thread for play by forum: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27127.0
    (Although the download link is outdated. Can it be updated? Should be: http://triplea-game.org/download IIRC)

Play by email is almost the same.

Play online is simple isn’t it?

• '19 '17 '16

If USSR is not at war on the Pacific map, can the USA land planes or unload land units on USSR territory. If so, why?

I’d have thought the rule that a power can be at war on the Europe map but is considered not at war on the Pacific map unless one side is at war would prevent it. Triple-A allows it of course.

• If the USSR is not at war in the pacific then no, the rest of the allies cannot land planes on USSR territory in the pacific half of the map.

Of course, the USSR can declare war on Japan from turn one with no consequences, so there’s really no reason not to be at war since all not being at war does is limit your options.

• Pancake is right, if USSR is not at war with Japan, no allied units can enter Russian territories on the Pacific map.  USSR is neutral on the Pacific map if not at war with Japan, and neutral power rules apply

• '19 '17 '16

That is what I thought would be the case. Ussr Dow does have adverse consequences in balanced mod

• '22 '16

During the Combat phase shouldn’t I be able to move a trn into sz 6 from sz 5 pick up an inf and move back to sz 5 even though there is a US sub in sz 6 as long as I bring a dd with it?  Triple A is not allowing me to leave sz 6.  Thanks!

• Yes, and you don’t need a destroyer - that’s only for when the hostile sub is in the destination sz (Z5 in this case)
    You should be able to totally ignore that sub

• @majikforce:

… Triple A is not allowing me to leave sz 6.  …

I have recreated a similar scenario and TripleA showed no issue at all … it worked as expected, as it allowed me to move the loaded transport out of the seazone containing the enemy sub and back to the intended destination (original seazone).
    Can you please open a thread and provide a savegame in the Software subforum? This would possibly enable us to investigate …

Thank you.

• '20 '16

Questions regarding transport loading and blocking of said loading.

My understanding is:
    1. A transport may not load in a hostile sea zone.
    2. A transport may move to avoid combat during the combat movement phase, even if it is not performing a combat move.
    3. A transport may not move, load, or unload during non-combat if it moved, loaded, unloaded or participated in combat or combat movement. Including escaping combat, as stated above.

Question: Is a sea zone that becomes hostile, due to a DOW, that turn, treated the same as a SZ that was hostile at the beginning of the turn? If not, which of these restrictions still applies, and which do not?

Example: Transport starts the combat movement phase in SZ with (new or ongoing) enemy surface warship.
    If the transport leaves the SZ to avoid combat, it must do an amphibious assault or nothing at all, besides that movement during that turn.

Please tell me if there is a difference, and anywhere I might be wrong in what I’ve stated. Thanks!

• You should read the first paragraph in the blue side bar on page 12 of the rulebook, because this is where the exception is clearly given.  It is about the mechanics of declaring war

• '19 '17 '16

@P@nther:

@majikforce:

… Triple A is not allowing me to leave sz 6.  …

I have recreated a similar scenario and TripleA showed no issue at all … it worked as expected, as it allowed me to move the loaded transport out of the seazone containing the enemy sub and back to the intended destination (original seazone).
    Can you please open a thread and provide a savegame in the Software subforum? This would possibly enable us to investigate …

Thank you.

I have also checked and found no problem.

• '16 '15 '10

If Allies declares war on neutrals, does Mongolia also become pro-Axis or is Mongolia subject to different rules?

Edit: It appears this question is answered in the first post of the Mongolia thread.  So from what I can tell, TripleA has it right that if Allies declare on true neutrals, Axis can’t activate Mongolia (unless Russia declares on Mongolia).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m