Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Yes.
    It’s a friendly territory

• Official Q&A

…however it will not claim the territory.

• '12

@Krieghund:

that’s what i was wondering - thanks

• @Boldfresh:

@Krieghund:

And it’s not what you asked!

• '12

@Gamerman01:

@Boldfresh:

@Krieghund:

And it’s not what you asked!

absolutely correct - sorry - guess krieg read my mind!  :lol:

• @Boldfresh:

@Gamerman01:

Yes, that is allowed

Could a lone aa offload to an orange java?

you just would not claim the territory(and income). Would  still be Dutch.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

If the USSR while at peace with Japan moves into Korea when occupied by the USA who is at war with Japan, what happens if Japan attacks Korea?

• If the USSR is at peace with Japan, then they couldn’t have moved into allied occupied Korea in the first place, as they were not yet part of the allies on the Pacific half of the board.

• Right, USSR would have to declare war on Japan to move into USA controlled Korea.

If this is the case, and Japan attacks USA controlled Korea with USSR units in it, nothing happens with the pact or Mongolia.
    The Mongolians only join Russia if Japan attacks a USSR controlled territory bordering Mongolia.

The Mongolia, Neutral, and Dutch questions just keep pouring in.  I made a thread trying to lay out these rules in a different way, in an attempt to make them more understandable.  You can read them here.  Maybe I should ask a Mod to sticky this thread.  Go to the first couple posts of this thread.  I believe the correct answers to both Boldfresh and Karl’s questions can be found in them.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30776.15

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

Right, USSR would have to declare war on Japan to move into USA controlled Korea.

Talk about your double standards!  Italy can attack Russia with impunity while Germany reinforces without being at war with Russia, but Russia cannot reinforce the United States without going to war with Japan. :P  (On Japanese soil that is.)

• There is simply zero reason why USSR should’nt declear war on Japan turn 1  :-)

• Exactly.  It benefits Russia (and future US movements) to declare war immediately on Japan even if there are no combat moves planned on R1.

• A question about retreats and suicide missions:

Imagine two of my fighters start at my airbase in Dutch Guinea. They fly five spaces to SZ 6. It is possible because my empty carrier moves there, too. Along with 10 Battleships or something. Imagine further that for some reason I occupied Korea. Now the battle begins because there are 123 enemy ships.

May I retreat my Carrier? What happens to my planes?

I suppose the planes will be taken out of the fight, but remain in the same zone? They will die? They are not allowed to move to Korea as, say, units scrambling and using their home base are allowed to? I am allowed to retreat the carrier even though that will doom the fighters? I cannot retreat the battleships and leave the carrier (or the planes) fighting?

• @Shaniana:

A question about retreats and suicide missions:

Imagine two of my fighters start at my airbase in Dutch Guinea. They fly five spaces to SZ 6. It is possible because my empty carrier moves there, too.

Actually, your carrier is not required to go to Z6 in combat move.  It must only be POSSIBLE to get there in noncombat movement.  If there are planes surviving and the carrier can get there in noncombat (may not be able, if an attack failed to clear the way), then you are required to send as many carriers as necessary to pick up survivors.  If you CAN pick them up, you MUST.

Along with 10 Battleships or something. Imagine further that for some reason I occupied Korea. Now the battle begins because there are 123 enemy ships.

May I retreat my Carrier?

Yes

What happens to my planes?

splish-splash they are taking a bath in Z6

I suppose the planes will be taken out of the fight, but remain in the same zone?

Right

They will die?

Only the pilots will die.  The planes will sink to the bottom of the ocean.  :wink:

They are not allowed to move to Korea as, say, units scrambling and using their home base are allowed to?

Correct, not allowed to move any more.  It is on DEFENSE that planes get a movement point to land after being displaced from a carrier or scramble or intercept, what have you.  Not on offense.

I am allowed to retreat the carrier even though that will doom the fighters?

Yes

I cannot retreat the battleships and leave the carrier (or the planes) fighting?

No.  Everything must retreat together.

See my first comment.  You do not have to move the carrier into Z6 to join the battle in the first place.  But if you retreat, the planes will be stuck in Z6 with nowhere to land and will be forfeited (because they have 0 remaining movement after flying the full 5 spaces)
    Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you need

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think he was saying to move the carrier specifically so he could retreat it later and NOT have one available to retrieve the fighters.

Given Gamer’s response, I am going to say it is legal because the carrier was available for landing at the time the combat movement phase ended, just because he were “forced” to retreat it does not negate it being available at the end of the combat movement phase as a valid landing zone for the planes.

• @Cmdr:

I think he was saying to move the carrier specifically so he could retreat it later and NOT have one available to retrieve the fighters.

I don’t know about that, but the reason for moving the carrier to Z6 is irrelevant, I think

Given Gamer’s response, I am going to say it is legal because the carrier was available for landing at the time the combat movement phase ended, just because he were “forced” to retreat it does not negate it being available at the end of the combat movement phase as a valid landing zone for the planes.

Yes, it is certainly legal to combat move the carrier to Z6 and then retreat it.  But the planes will be stuck in Z6 and will not be able to move one more space to land on the retreated carrier.

It would be available for landing space for planes if it is undamaged, however the planes that moved to Z6 using all 5 movement points CANNOT follow the carrier and land on it.  They are out of fuel.

• Thank you very much, that was exactly what I wanted to know. And it was more about the princible, not the specific example.
    Another question:  The rules state:

“Land units belonging to friendly powers must load on their controller’s turn…”.

In your own turn, you must take your own units from the land adjacent to your freighter, you cannot move a tank from a land far away before. However, if you board an allied freighter, you a are supposed to move there yourself - so, can a British tank move from Burma to Shan State and then board an ANZAC transport vessel in SZ 37 in one single (British) turn?

• @Shaniana:

can a British tank move from Burma to Shan State and then board an ANZAC transport vessel in SZ 37 in one single (British) turn?

No.  Mech and tanks cannot move to a different territory on land and then board a transport in one move.

• Can USA put figters og troops on british land i the pacific when its not at war with japan?

• Hi Bombah. I am afraid not.
    US units can only sit in US’ territories while at peace.
    It has no allies until it is at war; only Allies can land in each other’s territories.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m