Axis & Allies 1941 First Preview

• TripleA

usa 17ipc vs usa 15ipc on the ipc tracker. i hope this is a rule we do not know about and not a misprint.

• Customizer

I like the Hood, Stalin tank, Tiger tanks.  Russians have their own transport now, too!  Be a welcome addition.

Don’t like that too many units are shared.  Why is that?  They now pretty much have unique units for each country by now.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Okay, at first I will admit I was thinking “Seriously with these sculpts?” Removing old correct nation specific pieces and replacing them with new incorrect ones? It was a bit shocking to see what they went with here. The map, still small? Still ugly? I didn’t want to like for some reason. I own every other game in the franchise and this just didn’t seem to compare. I guess because we all expect it to have everything everyone wants for $30…

But, I then read all the posts from the more open minded people here, as well as all of the arguments as to why it’s bad, or lame, or interesting, etc. I then let it all marinate on top of my morning coffee…

I think I like it! Yeah, the sculpt choices are not the best for every nation. Yeah, the map is a little weird. But, you can’t please everyone. This game is not for everyone. It’s for our kids. It’s for our non-grognard gamer friends who want to hang out on a saturday and BS over a couple of beers. It’s for game night at home with family instead of watching nonsensical “reality TV”.

And after further consideration, I’m buying more than 1. I will give it as gifts. I will steal the pieces for house rules. I will find new ways to have fun with an iconic game that I’ve loved since buying 2nd edition in Toys ‘R’ Us with my dad as a kid.

• TripleA

i like the small map and more streamlined units, should make for a nice quick game.
    hopefully this will be the gateway [s]drug[/s] game to get some friends hooked on axis&allies.

with so few land territories i am guessing tanks will only move one space.

• [quote author=Lozmoid link=topic=27527.msg969985#msg969985 date=1338985746]
    I expect the U.S. 17/15 IPCs issue is a mistake.
    [/quote]

I bet so too

• Great post, Variable - I enjoyed

I wasn’t even thinking about my kids, but when I mentioned it this morning, they were actually very interested! Have had trouble getting them into Anniversary… Don’t want to play Classic with them because the rules and gameplay are sooooo different they’d have to unlearn it like a lot of us had to.

Think I’m gonna be buying this to get the kids going (11 1/2 and almost 14)

• [quote author=Hobbes link=topic=27527.msg969953#msg969953 date=1338978026]
    My initial impression based on the pieces and map:

Yuck!
    [/quote]

Funny, that was my exact same reaction.

• The idea is backwards, not forwards guys!  They’re not trying to make a challenging, fulfilling game for the veterans!  So don’t judge it that way.

Of course it’s a shock to see such a map after you’ve been playing GLOBAL 1940!!

Still laughing after reading the person who hoped to reel his friends in to Global 1940 eventually through this game. � Dude, if they won’t play Spring 1942 or Anniversary or Revised, they are never going to get to Global 1940 by starting with this basic game. � You might as well try reeling them in using Risk!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You know what… I get it with the sculpts.

If you buy right into the concept, that this version is FOR NEW PLAYERS, than having sculpts, which are much more clearer to understand, (specifically, the ships being the same)  Makes it easier to know what comprises an enemy force.

Sometimes new players I have played with, have had a hard time, telling the difference between destroyers/cruisers/battleships, or tacs/bombers/fighters, for example.

• Customizer

That makes sense.

Still, it does offer something new in terms of scuplts for us.  I like the Hood!

• TripleA

[quote author=Gamerman01 link=topic=27527.msg970068#msg970068 date=1338996231]

Still laughing after reading the person who hoped to reel his friends in to Global 1940 eventually through this game. � Dude, if they won’t play Spring 1942 or Anniversary or Revised, they are never going to get to Global 1940 by starting with this basic game. � You might as well try reeling them in using Risk!
    [/quote]

i am not sure if this was directed towards me.
    my friends have suggested playing aaa many times as i tell them how much fun i have. the problem is the time commitment. if this is a 2 hour game we will be rolling for the fate of the world over a few beers.

• I don’t remember who wrote that they hoped this would lead to playing Global 1940 with their friends.

I totally agree, allweneed, that you should be able to have a great time playing this game in a short amount of time with buddies.  It looks perfect for that.

Just saying that’s a far cry from playing Global 1940 with the same people, if they have a problem with time commitment on less involved games (less than Global) like Revised or AA50

• Has anyone determined what the pieces model?

It looks like all infantry pieces are based on previous versions, and are unique to each country.
    So the 16 new molds are 8 pieces for the Allies and 8 pieces for the Axis, which I have only identified as so:

Allied Tank:  USSR IS-2
    Allied Fighter:  US P-40
    Allied Bomber:  UK Lancaster
    Allied Transport:
    Allied Sub:
    Allied DD:
    Allied Carrier:
    Allied BB:  UK Hood

Axis Tank:  G Tiger
    Axis Fighter:  G FW-190
    Axis Bomber:  G He-111
    Axis Transport:
    Axis Sub:
    Axis DD:
    Axis Carrier:  J Akagi
    Axis BB:

Can anyone else fill in the blanks?

• @knp7765:

Seems really weird for UK and USA to have Soviet tanks

I suppose this would be useful for some kind of alternate-history house rule in which the Russians give Lend-Lease to the Americans and the British, but I’m going to have a hard time rationalizing those green and tan IS-2 tanks when I fit them into my boxes of US and UK equipment.

(edit by djensen: only trying to see if I can get those quote working)

• I think the new sculpts look cool. I think this is almost a rehash of classic. I hope the remake of 42 has the countries using only histrorically accurate pieces. I don’t know if that will happen though since they have already made these. I hope I’m wrong.

• It is a rehash of MB edition. Minor tweeks but the same idea.

Just get out both maps and compare.

• [quote author=Gamerman01 link=topic=27527.msg970068#msg970068 date=1338996231]
    The idea is backwards, not forwards guys! ��They’re not trying to make a challenging, fulfilling game for the veterans! ��So don’t judge it that way.[/quote]

Apologies. My ‘yuck’ refers only to the graphic/aesthetics, specially of the map. Some pieces didn’t look that good to me either in quality, specially some ships but seeing just piles of pieces and low-res pics didn’t help at all.

I wasn’t judging for the rules, it’s really that the only reason I could think to justify buying this game are the pieces and so far I’m not impressed.

EDIT - I’m more impressed. First map where the Iberian Peninsula is called Spain/Portugal rather than just Spain :D

A list of map changes from Spring 1942:

• 1 extra SZ around the UK (transports in EUS can’t reach UK in 1 round now)
    • Algeria and Libya combined into North Africa
    • Jordan and Persia combined into Middle East
    • Balkans has been merged into E. Europe
    • Belorussia is gone and has been divided between W. Russia and Ukraine.
    • Novo, Evenki and Kazakh combined into Urals
    • Buryatia and Yakut combined into Siberia
    • Several SZs combined into the Indian/Pacific
    • It is now possible to reach the entire Asian coastline from Solomon by ship
    • China has been completely reworked. Now there’s 2 northern and southern China territories (N. China/Szechuan), instead of western eastern (Sinkiang/China). Szechuan also has access to sea.
    • Formosa is gone (Iceland remains though)
    • Kenya/Congo merged together
    • Gibraltar can be accessed from both Atlantic and Med

That seems about it. Map looks interesting to play, with the longer distances between US and Europe and shorter between US and Asia. The shorter route to reach Russia through Asia must be to pressure even more the US to go Pacific. The ICs on Australia/India must be also to be targets for Japan or to have the UK help the US on Asia.

• The 16 new sculpts are…

USSR:
    tank

Germany:
    tank
    submarine
    bomber
    fighter

UK:
    Battleship
    fighter
    transport

Japan:
    Battleship
    Carrier
    transport
    destroyer

USA:
    Carrier
    Bomber
    Destroyer
    submarine

ok that is 16.

• [quote author=Imperious Leader link=topic=27527.msg970144#msg970144 date=1339004451]
    It is a rehash of MB edition. Minor tweeks but the same idea.

Just get out both maps and compare.
    [/quote]

I see what you mean. Of course, now Larry Harris had 30 years to figure out how to change that map so we see it pressuring the US to go more Pacific.

• Interesting, Hobbes, thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m