• Axis & Allies 1941
    Game
    Game board, play components, rulebook, 370 game pieces

• @Imperious:

Oh dear Lord… I wish people would read the ENTIRE PDF… just once…

Yeah, sorry IL, but I DID read the entire PDF, more than once.  Either they are contradicting themselves in the summary table at the end, or there are 160 combat units total with 32 per nation as it says first.

Game Components
    • 160 plastic pieces (32 per nation)
    • 16 new combat unit sculpts
    • New map
    • Rulebook

And later in the table at the end says “Game board, play components, rulebook, 370 game pieces”

So again … contradictory or 160 PLASTIC pieces (32 per nation) (not 160 NEW plastic pieces (because it clearly does not say “new” anywhere in that 160 pieces.  If that’s what they meant they should have said “160 NEW plastic pieces (32 per nation)”)) with a total of 370 game pieces and then we can wonder what are the other 210 game pieces?  Well since it specifies PLASTIC for the 160, you would have to assume the other 210 are not plastic pieces.  Control tokens, AA/Factory tokens, etc?

I understand where you are coming from IL, but again … we won’t know for sure until we know for sure, right?

The PDF does say…

Game Components
    � 160 plastic pieces (32 per nation)  
    � 16 new combat unit sculpts
    � New map
    � Rulebook

New Units:
    A key feature for enfranchised players is an entirely new set of unit sculpts. There are 16 all-new designs such as the P-40 Warhawk, Tiger Tank, AVRO Lancaster, FW-190, IS-2 tank, HMS Hood, He-111, and the Akagi Aircraft Carrier. These playing pieces can be used in any other A&A game, and will be desirable to players who seek to expand their A&A collections.

But that is talking about what is NEW to the game as opposed to the standard stuff. It does not say it comes with a box or tokens for the nations, but obviously they are included. If you want to get stuck on semantics THEN assume the game has no box, no chips, no dice, no other tokens, no other pieces, no setup charts, etc…And add to that it uses the same mechanics as AA42 which means that is impossible without those components…you basically can’t play the game without parts from other games? I don’t think so. WOTC does not make games that require parts from other games. Each game stands on its own two feet, so obviously the 160 pieces listing refers to NEW SCULPTS AND NOT THE TOTAL GAME PIECES INCLUDED…

The 32 pieces are NEW PIECES PER NATION THAT ARE NEW SCULPTS, IT DOES NOT MEAN ALL YOU GET IS 32 PIECES…that is ridiculous.

Again the people at WOTC just don’t have any skills at explaining the product.

Item
    Contents
    SKU
    UPC
    ISBN
    Size Wt.
    MSRP
    Axis & Allies 1941
    Game
    Game board, play components, rulebook, 370 game pieces
    6 53569 70534 5
    978-0-7869-6016-3
    tbd
    3.44 lbs
    $30.00
    Axis & Allies 1941
    Case
    4 games per case
    NA
    NA
    NA
    tbd
    15 lbs
    NA

• Game Components
    • 160 plastic pieces (32 per nation)
    • 16 new combat unit sculpts
    • New map
    • Rulebook

This list refers to what is new to this version of AA….It has 16 new sculpts and 160 new sculpts which comes out to 32 new sculpts per nation  ( 160 divide by 5 is 32)… The 370 pieces is the total included in the game. Nothing is contradictory except the noob who wrote the caption leaving out the word NEW.

It should read 160 new plastic pieces, new map, 16 totally new sculpts

• Customizer

Not to add to the confusion but I’m surprised no one has noticed that the image of the box clearly states “200 playing pieces” along the top of the box. This could mean that there as indeed 160 PLASTIC pieces and 40 other (likely cardboard complexes etc) pieces. This is purely an observation as I’m not taking sides. If in deed this is a real game. The contradictions make me a bit dubious.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

The contradictions legs me a bit dubious.

There are more contradictions than broken links.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

Not to add to the confusion but I’m surprised no one has noticed that the image of the box clearly states “200 playing pieces” along the top of the box.

That as well, thanks for pointing it out.

It may simply be a mess-up by someone as Imperious Leader has said, since the info on the .pdf is simply contradictory - it mentions 160 plastic pieces, 200+ playing pieces on the image and then 370 game pieces. In any case until there’s an official acknowledgement we won’t be sure of how many pieces there will be.

• That’s a keen observation Bob…

over 200+ pieces right on box…hmmm

Why does the PDF say 370 game pieces

Then is says 16 new sculpts and 160 pieces with 32 per…

That is 3 different stories but consider two of these point out more than 160 pieces total, so that is bunk.

• thanks for the info guys

• TripleA '12

Phew! We’ll get there eventually.  :-)

• @Imperious:

That is 3 different stories but consider two of these point out more than 160 pieces total, so that is bunk.

Not really.  It’s all speculation right now, but the press release clearly stated 160 units w/ 32 per power, which doesn’t include other playing pieces such as factories, AA, dice, tokens….

In order for the game to be played in 2 hours, I’m still of the belief that there are in fact only 32 pieces per power, as stated in the brief.  It will be a reduced game in scope and time, and the only way to do that is reduce the unit count as well.

Assuming 160 playing pieces, there’s easily another 40 in dice, tokens, factories and what have yous.  Which is easily over 200.

But again, all speculation.

• Assuming 160 playing pieces, there’s easily another 40 in dice, tokens, factories and what have you.  Which is easily over 200.

Well it DOES SAY 370 PLAYING PIECES. The box says 200+ playing pieces. Why does the 160 figure carry more weight than the other two bits of info?

How can you discount the difference of 200-370=170 other playing pieces?

Also, dice are not counted as playing pieces, tokens are not counted if you go by past incarnations of the game which only count ‘plastic’ pieces ( e.g.the sculpts).

Again the literature is meaning 160 new pieces featuring 16 new sculpts and 32 pieces per color, the rest being standard pieces. It does not say the only pieces included in the game are all new, rather a portion of them are new sculpts ( an improvement or new feature)

• @Imperious:

Assuming 160 playing pieces, there’s easily another 40 in dice, tokens, factories and what have you.  Which is easily over 200.

Well it DOES SAY 370 PLAYING PIECES. The box says 200+ playing pieces. Why does the 160 figure carry more weight than the other two bits of info?

Spring 42’s box and manual say ‘370 playing pieces’, the manual makes a distinction between pieces (includes AA and ICs) and dice/chips.

Actually, I just noticed something curious:
    The weight of a Spring 42 gamebox is 2.4 pounds, shipping weight 3.4 (on Amazon’s site).
    According to the info on the .pdf, AA41’s weight will be 3.44 pounds

So we’re definitely looking into something like Spring 42 in actual size and weight.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The all encompassing question then becomes…

Does Cardboard weigh more than plastic? :P

• I’m with IL, the evidence points to the 370 pices with the 160 being new pieces.

In that case, however, there are probably new inf piece for all nations, as I don’t see WotC giving us 10+ new pieces of each new sculpt (Akagi? Hood? He-111?) unless there are 18-20 inf and 6 each of the other two new sculpts.

• Customizer

Yeah, with stuff like battleships, carriers and bombers, depending on the nation, I would guess 4 or 6 of each. With the tanks and fighters we will probably get more, like 8 - 12, again depending on the nation.

• @Gargantua:

The all encompassing question then becomes…
    Does Cardboard weigh more than plastic?

If you use enough cardboard, yes.

• @reloader-1:

I’m with IL

• I think I’m getting more excited for this the more I think about it.  I do wish they were redoing the Anniversary Edition as well.  I guess I’ll need to get this and the 1942 2nd edition.

• here’s a link to an online game store who have it available for preorder:
    http://www.funagain.com/control/product;jsessionid=71A6802287EF96958E51859B806A1974.jvm1?product_id=025815
    some April fool joke huh? :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m