• '17

My vote’s South America because you have more expansion options than Australia.

• As most will agree, your continent won’t do you a lot of damn good if you don’t have other interests elsewhere.  Basic tactics of RISK (thankfully a much better RISK player than A&A….probably cause of the die rolls!), dictate a continent of interest while holding a position for contention.

I find if I’m in a purple mood, I will try to wage war in N. America. If things get tough, I can run to Asia, S.A., or Europe and try to regroup.

I find if I’m craving Latin,  then I need to focus my additional forces in the Middle East/SE Asia for outs to Africa/Europe/Austraila

While I would love to get N. America, I find this under heavy contention in most my games. Everyone knows Europe and Asia can be death traps, so everyone is pushing for an “in” at N.America.  This is where I have figured the reverse of the Austrailian strat does not bode well for succes in N. America.  I will use a Northern Asia/Eastern Europe mentality.  These forces are key to a two front war for those trying to breech into Canada via Europe or Asia.

A continent is key to success, but a second force is vital for expansion, especially for you Down Under Campers!

• I haven’t played Risk in many years, but I always wanted Australia.
    I can’t remember exactly how the game is played, but I do remember when I played it when I was young that the pieces were tiny wooden blocks.
    It’s probably changed some since then.

• Now if we were talking say LOTR Risk, I’d have to go with Gondor! It’s the key to the entire game, even if it’s a bitch to hold!

• @Mallery29:

Now if we were talking say LOTR Risk, I’d have to go with Gondor! It’s the key to the entire game, even if it’s a b���� to hold!

I enjoy LOTR Risk.

• I’ve always like Africa because you can usually capture it in the first turn or two and everyone ignores you.  Then you can break up Asia Europe and S America and eventually capture them.

• S. America allows two paths to victory.  Neither will be so obvious to your opponents until you cash out a big set of cards to knock out your nearest one for the next set of 3+ cards.

Wash, rinse, repeat your way to the victory.

• N.-America and S.-America combined. Lock the Gates, collect 7+ every turn and invade Asia next!!

• @aequitas:

N.-America and S.-America combined. Lock the Gates, collect 7+ every turn and invade Asia next!!

Wise moves.

• '17 '16

I find the Australia strategy as bush-league stuff, and often such a player can get bottled up and has nowhere to go to stop others from getting other prizes.

I like to do the reverse psychology strat… since most people think of Europe as a death trap, few will commit much to either taking or defending it, which often leaves it open to a person who will commit to taking it, and its just as easy to deny almost any other players continent from Europe as it is from being attacked from outside.  Offense is the best defense… if you can pick up the Mid East and Greenland during initial deployment and mass armies there, people will always assume you’re going for North America and/or Africa, but instead turn inward from both directions and seize Europe.

Every game is different of course, but I so often find people ignoring Europe as a death trap, it leaves it open for conquest to those with vision… seal Iceland/Greenland off, Ukraine and the Middle East, that’s three blocking territories for five armies, then wage war in Africa as your active front, keeping southern Europe blocked off.

• North America, because it is easier to defend than some, allows an easy road to expansion, most obviously through South America, and provides access to disrupt Europe and Asia.

Asia, Europe and Africa are hard to defend. It is difficult to expand from Australia.

• '17 '16

@Mallery29:

Now if we were talking say LOTR Risk, I’d have to go with Gondor! It’s the key to the entire game, even if it’s a b���� to hold!

Awww… I finally got around to getting this game too!

LotRRiskCustom.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m