• First of all, I�ll tell what this is for the people who don�t know what this operation was:

It was the second to last major German offensive of the war, launched in mid february 1945. Its objective was to cut off the leading elements of Zhukovs 1st Belorussian front.

The attack was launched as a limited offensive, but Guderian planned it as a major offensive. For this offensive, he wanted to evacuate the courland pocket, remove forces from italy and norway, and use Sepp Dietrich�s 6th SS Panzer army, which was send to hungary to attack around lake balton.

The only thing Guderian did get approved by Hitler was that Walther Wenck directed the operation instead of Heinrich Himmler.

How could the operation have gone if Guderian got the forces he wanted?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The forces were a “paper” offensive.

Germany didn’t have the elements or resources to put together a cohesive and successful offensive.

Even if brand new crack forces came through a dimension portal to join the fight, and even if the offensive saw some success.  The war is still over in 45.

• I’ve never heard of this operation, but I agree with Garg that by this late date the Third Reich was basically toast and that it was all over for the Nazi regime except for the buttering.  At best Guderian might have bought his compatriots a little more time to flee to the west and surrender to the Anglo-Americans rather than taking their chances on the doubtful mercies of the Red Army.

• @CWO:

I’ve never heard of this operation, but I agree with Garg that by this late date the Third Reich was basically toast and that it was all over for the Nazi regime except for the buttering.  At best Guderian might have bought his compatriots a little more time to flee to the west and surrender to the Anglo-Americans rather than taking their chances on the doubtful mercies of the Red Army.

I completely agree.

• You mean this below or that quack Adolf telling his peeps to send General Wenck to save Berlin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Spring_Awakening.

Hitler could not recoup Norway or Courland, the Soviets would have sunk anything in the Baltic by that time.

Anything directed towards Balaton would have been encircled. by 45 the Soviet ratio’s vs German in all categories were decisive.

• KAMPFGRUPPE Wenck, not a Division, just a few peoples! Old men with Panzerfausts and younglings with StG '44’s

I can only agree with the rest, paper is patient. The war was allready over.
    But it is an interesting thought of what if? Axistiger 13

• @Imperious:

You mean this below or that quack Adolf telling his peeps to send General Wenck to save Berlin?

I mean this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Solstice

• Thanks AxisTiger. I had forgotten about the 11SS Panzer Army(Steiner commanding). Have not read all the article, as of time constraints, but I hope to.
    I was amazed to read how many Hetzer were available.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m