which is better M4 Sherman or T-34-85?

• both of these tank’s are the most well-known in the world (arguably), cheap to make, easy to make, easy to drive, easy to maintain and easy to make variants out of. but which is better?

• @king_of_tanks undoubtedly, the T34.

• 2024 2023 '22

@king_of_tanks

On paper, it’s very even. The T-34/85 wasn’t as reliable as many people think, but it had at least an equal gun and armour to the best Sherman (jumbo).

In practise, the Sherman was superior. Poor Soviet training and tactics compared to the US repeatedly led to higher loss ratios to German armour even in 1944 while the Shermans usually lost less tanks than Germany.

Granted, these are combat losses to all causes, but Germany’s mechanical reliability should have been equal on both fronts. Note that anti-tank guns made up a majority of the losses of both sides. But we can assume that the number of tanks destroyed by Germany to anti-tank guns to be relatively equal.

However, the Western Allies had a bigger degree of air superiority than the Soviets.

• @witt If I was wanting to win a race in distance I’m picking the Sherman. The tank is mechanical sound.

If I was fighting a tank on tank engagement off-road I’m picking the T-34/85.

My father works in the heavy machine industry building roads. In the 1970s a coworker of his commanded a Sherman and had three shot out underneath him.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m