• @CWO:

The colleague mentioned that one of the things he wanted to do during his trip was “drink Canada Dry.”  My friend commented, “That sounds rather ambitious.”

There is no Like button big enough for this statement!  :-D :-D :-D

you sir have just made my day  :lol:

• @Clyde85:

you sir have just made my day  :lol:

Glad you enjoyed the anecdote.  I’ve heard (but have never been able to verify) that a lot of polar explorers have a great fondness for a drink called “Canadian Club and snow” – essentially a variation of whiskey on the rocks that can be made easily under Arctic field conditions.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

@Clyde85:

How about "Canada, Americas Hat"�  � :-D

Seriously though Dominion of Canada does have a nice ring to it, sounds all regal and what not

+1    America Jr. and America’s Little Brother always makes me laugh.

• A friend of mine who lives in Britain says that one day he was talking with a colleague who was telling him about his plans to come visit Canada for the first time.  The colleague mentioned that one of the things he wanted to do during his trip was “drink Canada Dry.”  My friend commented, “That sounds rather ambitious.”

LMFAO!!!  Best post I’ve seen in a month.

This should be the new flag:

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

The term “Dominion” had a special meaning in the British Empire.  It meant large colonies that were self-governing (Canada, South Africa, and I think India were, but I’m not sure about Australia and New Zealand but they might have been dominions too).  So yes, we should be called a Dominion.

The flag should be just like the modern one, but instead of red rectangles on the right and left to represent the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans they should be blue because water is blue not red.  Also, instead of a red maple leaf in the middle it should have the “D” from the logo of the old Dominion Store grocery chain, with a marijuana leaf in the D to represent British Columbia.

dominion.jpg

• The term “Canada Dry” also had a special meaning in the British Empire.  Although Canada Dry originated in its namesake country, it is now produced in many countries around the globe, including the United States, Mexico, Colombia, the Middle East, Europe and Japan. In 1890, Canadian pharmacist and chemist John J. McLaughlin of Enniskillen, Ontario opened a carbonated water plant in Toronto where the legend of this drink began. Canada Dry’s popularity as a mixer began during Prohibition, when its flavor helped mask the taste of homemade liquor. In the 1930s, Canada Dry expanded worldwide, and from the 1950s onward, the company introduced a larger number of products. Canada Dry eventually became Canada’s greatest export and synonymous with the nations people, pride, and country.

And it’s delicious.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Geeze IL, you know an awful lot about pop.

• '12

Glad Canada’s biggest export is not Justin Beiber….but as long as they exported him…

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

One of Canada’s primary manufactured exports (top 3) is small arms and ammunition.

We make it all for the British and Americans,  the infrastructure being built prior to WWI, and continuing through the end of WW2 and the Cold War.

I mean face it, it’s not like the U.S. can buy M16’s from China.

• I wouldn’t suggest buying anything from China.
    Whatever I buy(then touch) falls apart!
    Try finding something made in England. Practically impossible.

Was not aware Canada made arms  and munitions, Garg.

• '12

Quite the auto industry in Ontario Witt.  During WWII the Canadian auto sector (by Canada I mean the province of Ontario) built more trucks then Germany and Russia combined.  Not bad for a province that had less than 4 million people in 1941.  I agree with the quality of Chinese products.  Just had a heater in the bathroom die, was about 2 years old and made in China.  I doubt that will stop many people from buying Chinese cars at Walmart in a few years once they appear.  Not like my 1971 Chevy hotrod pickup truck or my 1980 Chevy Camaro muscle car, those were built to last a bit longer.

• You think that will be the next thing: Chinese cars in a supermarket?
    I am disgusted at the thought, but it is the way of the world. All for ease.
    I should have told you I am renowned for my breaking skills.
    Friends and family take the piss because of it.
    You buy it, I will break it!

• '12

Only recently here has walmart ventured into groceries, it was primarily a department store initially.  Yeah, I think low end Chinese cars for about 5000 dollars will appear in walmart in a few years.  Witt, you would be an excellent product tester!

• I would. But only with Chinese goods.
    I just broke a pencil sharpener. With a pencil!
    Maddy and I were colouring in.
    I have taken two vacuum cleaners back in two weeks.
    My wife is still cross that I broke our marble fireplace while chopping wood.
    We had only been in our new house one day.
    The axe I was using lasted another week before I broke the head in a log.
    It is lucky my brother and father are good at mending things.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I’ve noticed some very cheap looking “off-road” motorcycles for sale at Canadian Tire for $500 (Canadian tire is a hardware department store sort of like Home Depot but with automotive stuff instead of lumber).  The bikes aren’t street legal in Canada because they don’t have the right lights on them but you could probably rig that up if you’re mechanical.  They probably are legal where they make them.  Anyway the point is you can buy a brand new motorbike for about 2 weeks pay if you make minimum wage.  For most people it would be 1 weeks pay.  One of these days they will start selling street legal ones for $500 and I will probably buy one.   Could the car manufacturing industry in Ontario ever hope to compete with that?

The problem with cheap Chinese products is that although we get the cheap junky products, but in the end we can’t afford more important things like food and shelter because we lost our jobs and live on credit cards.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Got a link to that Vance? LOL.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

No, but I was looking them over at the store last summer.  I think you’d be better off to buy a used Honda or whatever for a similar price, but they were really not that bad looking for $500.  This Spring they will probably show up again at the stores.  The nice thing about them is you wouldn;t need a motorcycle license or insurance to drive them around trails or whatever (or you could just get a mountain bike)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m