• '19 Moderator

I have no Idea what it is, but my calandar says it’s “Canada Day” and I don’t want my friends to the north to think I am snubbing them. :D

• I googled Canada Day, and the first useful thing was “for kids” …
    the question now is wether this reflects the state-of-mind of the average Candaian or their southern neighbors :) ;)

Anyway here’s the explanation from there:

A long time ago, Canada belonged to Great Britain. Over time, parts of the country joined together and wanted to form their own government.

On July 1, 1867, the British government (under Queen Victoria) approved a plan which allowed Canada to become an independent country with its own government. This new nation, which remained loyal to Britain, was called the Dominion of Canada. At that time, the new Dominion of Canada had only four provinces (Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick). These days, there are 10 provinces and 3 territories.

PS: i misread the second line of “O Canada” …… “our home and naive land”… only then i noticed that i missed a “t”. :D

• '19 Moderator

So in other words its a bust on our forth of July!

Damn Canadians! We should finnish the job we started in 1812.

Be fore you freek CC I’m just kidding, I like Bob and Doug Macenzie and I have on occasion imbibed on the Moosehead Lager. :wink:

• isnt it interesting, that in america we celebrate the 4th of july as our independence day, when the actual declaration was signed on the 2nd of august?

• hah Canada. i Think Canada should be seen by USA as Austria was Seen by Germany in the 30s :)

the Canadians are in need of some serious Indoctrination and assimilation. as is USA.

• @NatFedMike:

hah Canada. i Think Canada should be seen by USA as Austria was Seen by Germany in the 30s :)

the Canadians are in need of some serious Indoctrination and assimilation. as is USA.

wow
    Did you ever miss the point of the original post. The beauty of Canada is that it (well, since the 60’s anyway) has been trying to avoid and at times repudiate assimilation. Not just of Canada into the states, but of our immigrants into Canada.

• '19 Moderator

@Janus:

isnt it interesting, that in america we celebrate the 4th of july as our independence day, when the actual declaration was signed on the 2nd of august?

The signing of the document was really the anticlimax. It was adopted by congress on July 4th 1776.

They started to sign it on August 2nd but the signing wasn’t compeated until much later, monthes later, if I remember right.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m