Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• The following situation. In Sea Zone 37, I as Japan have a destroyer and a transport. I have two land units in Siam. The UK has a cruiser and battleship in Sea Zone 37 as well. I can declare war THEN load my transport and go to Sumatra etc AND most importantly leave my destroyer in 37 to fight the UK? So in other words, when starting in a sea zone with enemy units, can some of your units stay and attack while others move on? Or must they move together?

• Yes you can load the turn YOU Declare War.
    They can split up, some moving and some staying.

• Thanks for the fastest reply ever Wittmann  :-D

• '19 '17 '16

The units are assumed to get onboard before the DOW. But if the TT was in SZ36 the exemption would not apply.

• Great site guys … New poster

Was wondering if you could help … have a question and I’ll provide a scenario:

Say you build an air base (say US) on a territory that US control on US turn and you already have 2 US planes on that territory (or u fly them in on that US turn. Then on UK’s turn you fly another British plane in.
    If there is British navy in that seazone and it is attacked by Italy straight after UK’s move are the fighters allowed to scramble?

Are the US fighters and the U.K. Fighters allowed to scramble or can none scramble until US next turn?

In other words is the air base operational as soon as it us placed on the board?

Please help … reading the rules I lean towards its operational for both movement (of foreign allies planes that are already there) and all planes that want to scramble as soon as it is placed on the board during US’s place units phase.

I’d appreciate your thoughts … Thank you.

• '19 '17 '16

Absolutely.

Indeed, the UK units if present would be able to use the airbase.

• @Omegaman38:

Say you build an air base (say US) on a territory that US control on US turn and you already have 2 US planes on that territory (or u fly them in on that US turn. Then on UK’s turn you fly another British plane in.
    If there is British navy in that seazone and it is attacked by Italy straight after UK’s move are the fighters allowed to scramble?

Yes, all fighters from the same side, Axis or Allies, can scramble to defend any ships in the alliance or coastal territories that are being attacked by amphibious assault

Are the US fighters and the U.K. Fighters allowed to scramble or can none scramble until US next turn?

In other words is the air base operational as soon as it us placed on the board?

Yes, bases are operational immediately.  It’s not like new IC’s that have to wait a turn to produce.

• We encountered a situation I wasn’t really sure of how it should be handled.

The USA started with 2 fleets:
    -SZ19 (Okinawa), consisting of loaded carriers + a loaded transports
    -SZ26 (Hawaii), consisting of destroyers + loaded transports.

I wanted to unload my Okinawa transport in Manchuria from SZ19. This meant Japan could declare Kamikaze on any surface warships present in SZ19.

The Hawaiian transport was supposed to unload into Korea from SZ6. This meant the Japanese player could scramble from Japan, so I sent several fighters to SZ6 just in case. Note that Japan could not Kamikaze, because there weren’t any surface warships present.

So the question is: was there any way I could have moved my carriers to SZ6 without exposing them to Kamikazes?

If I let them stay in SZ19, they would have been susceptible to Kamikaze strikes during the amphibious assault on Manchuria. If I moved them to SZ6 during combat movement to escape combat, they could also be Kamikaze’d because of the amphibious assault on Korea.

Could I have moved them from SZ19 to SZ18 (1 step) during combat movement to escape combat; and move them again during non-combat from SZ18 to SZ6?

• You can never move a boat two different times in one turn, no
    There is no way you could have your carriers end in Zone 6 without giving Japan a chance to kamikaze them, given that you are conducting amphibious assaults from Z19 and Z6 both.  They will be subject to kamikazes in either zone 19 or zone 6, yes

• Thanks for the quick reply!

We handled it the way you said. That is, there was no way I could’ve done what I wanted.

• Any time

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@Gamerman01:

You can never move a boat two different times in one turn, no
    There is no way you could have your carriers end in Zone 6 without giving Japan a chance to kamikaze them, given that you are conducting amphibious assaults from Z19 and Z6 both.  They will be subject to kamikazes in either zone 19 or zone 6, yes

Good to know, I guess I learn new things here. In this situation he wants to move carriers 1 sz during combat to avoid kamikaze tokens. My understanding is that he can move his carriers one more sz during NC as they have only used one out of two movement. Not that triple a is handling everything right, but triple a has no objections to this.

• Yeah, never rely on Triple A for applying rules correctly
    Once you move a boat in the combat movement phase (whether to avoid combat or not) it is done for the turn.  Only aircraft can move in both phases
    I think Triple A lets you move tanks in both phases, but that is illegal.  You have to complete the blitzing movement, even when the 2nd territory is a friendly, in the combat movement phase

• '19 '17 '16

Question. Before the US is brought into the war, can they sail around the Cape of Good Hope and land on Brazil? Where is the limit where they can sail to from the Pacific?

• @simon33:

Question. Before the US is brought into the war, can they sail around the Cape of Good Hope and land on Brazil? Where is the limit where they can sail to from the Pacific?

@rulebook:

In addition to the normal restrictions (see
    “Powers Not at War with One Another,” page 14), while it’s not at war with Japan, the United States may not move any units
    into or through China or end the movement of its sea units in sea zones that are adjacent to Japan-controlled territories. While
    not at war with Germany or Italy, the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the Europe map only in sea
    zones that are adjacent to U.S. territories, with one exception: U.S. warships (not transports) may also conduct long-range
    patrols into sea zone 102.

So it is the border of the pacific map that limits the movement in your given case.
    HTH :-)

• Official Q&A

… and even if the ships could get there, the US would still not be able to land troops in Brazil:

@Europe:

Neutral Powers: When a power is not at war with anyone, it is neutral. Powers that begin the game neutral, such as the United States and the Soviet Union, aren’t initially part of the Allies or the Axis. The Axis powers are on the opposite side of these neutral powers, but they are not yet considered enemies. While a power remains neutral, it operates under even tighter restrictions. A neutral power can’t move land or air units into or through neutral territories. It can’t move units into or through territories or onto ships belonging to another power or use another power’s naval bases, nor can another power move land or air units into or through its territories or onto its ships or use its naval bases.

• '19 '17 '16

Right. How did I not think of that?

• Just to clarify if I take a terriotry I may noncombat land units and AAA guns into the territory the same turn I took the territory, correct?

• Correct, as long as they did not move in combat.

• Thanks for the response wittmann.

I have one more question regarding submerging subs. If a fleet with no destroyers attacks my fleet which contains subs I may choose to defend with them or submerge them, correct? If this is true then the subs would be able to surprise attack if I read the rules correctly. Thanks in advance for any response

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m