Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Gamerman01:

1. If you do already have an AAA on a transport during the combat movement phase from an earlier turn, and you conduct an amphibious assault with that transport by unloading 1 infantry onto an enemy territory, you may not unload the AAA during that turn at all.  This is because once a transport unloads (it unloaded an infantry) it is DONE for the turn and cannot ever do another unload during that non-combat movement phase.

ALSO

The transport carrying the AA gun cannot move during combat movement. So, that transport with infantry and AA gun had to be sitting in the sea zone at the beginning of the turn for you to even be able to conduct an amphibious assault with that infantry.

Marsh

• Official Q&A

@Marshmallow:

The transport carrying the AA gun cannot move during combat movement.

That’s incorrect.  Being carried by a transport (but not loading onto one) during combat movement is a stated exception to the rule that AAA can’t move during combat movement.  See page 29 of the Europe Rulebook.

• @Gamerman01:

That’s right, since Russia is at war (with Italy) they could get the NO, but there must be no Axis warships present in 125, and that includes Axis powers that Russia is not at war with, so Russia might as well declare war on Germany anyway

Yea that it a strange situation. Russia is eligible for the NO because they are at war w/Euro axis (Italy). The NO doesn’t specify that the axis power with war ship in sz125 has to also be at war with Russia, so w/German war ship in sz125 Russia doesn’t get the NO. This makes sense though if you think about it because the Germans would be looking to sink allied cargo ships (UK/US) not Russian ships so the raiding would still be going on.

Because there is so many hoops for the Russians to jump though to get that NO, I think it would be cool to make the Germans roll convoy dice to see if they can negate the lend lease NO.

• Wild Bill, that makes total sense. One Axis Sub in 125 gets 2 rolls, max loss 5, but Russia might still get one or two IPCs sneaking through. Much fairer and also fits the Convoy Rules perfectly.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Krieghund:

@Marshmallow:

The transport carrying the AA gun cannot move during combat movement.

That’s incorrect.  Being carried by a transport (but not loading onto one) during combat movement is a stated exception to the rule that AAA can’t move during combat movement.  See page 29 of the Europe Rulebook.

Thanks for pointing that out. Little stuff hiding in the rules will be the bane of me!

Marsh

• We are really, really fortunate that Krieghund reads this thread on this site and corrects anything that’s wrong

• Ugh, this has me stumped, and it actually came up in my game tonight.

I have an undamaged carrier, fighter, tac
    attacking
    1 transport, 2 submarines.

I don’t retreat because I want to sink the transport, so I need to score another hit with my 2 aircraft.
    If my opponent elects to submerge his 2 submarines, does that take away my retreat option?
    In other words, can you retreat after a submerge when those subs were the last remaining units with attack values?

I re-read the retreat rules and I can’t determine, because step 6 condition A says attacker or defender loses all units (not the case here - the subs were not “lost”) or condition B, attacker retreats.

• Official Q&A

You can’t retreat.  While the subs weren’t destroyed, they are no longer participating in the battle, so the defender has lost all units in the battle that can either fire or retreat.

• Man, I appreciate that fast answer so much.  We’re playing back and forth quite rapidly now, and with this very quick answer there is zero break in the action.

Thanks, K!!!

• Thanks in advance for this hopefully easy-to-answer question:

1. USA has taken S. Italy. There are German troops, but no Italians, in N. Italy. In this case, is the N. Italy IC reduced to a minor?

2. Also, if Germany is unable to retake S. Italy but keeps forces in N. Italy, thereby leaving Italy’s capital in Allied hands, does Germany automatically take possession of N. Italy? In this case, does the IC remain a major?

• @PlasticKnight:

Thanks in advance for this hopefully easy-to-answer question:

1. USA has taken S. Italy. There are German troops, but no Italians, in N. Italy. In this case, is the N. Italy IC reduced to a minor?

No.  IC’s are only reduced to minors when they are captured by enemy troops.  No other IC’s are reduced when a capital falls.

2. Also, if Germany is unable to retake S. Italy but keeps forces in N. Italy, thereby leaving Italy’s capital in Allied hands, does Germany automatically take possession of N. Italy? In this case, does the IC remain a major?

Never.  North Italy remains Italian until captured by an Allied power.  Then if Germany takes control of North Italy and Rome is still in Allied hands, THEN Germany gets control of North Italy.  It works this way for all powers and capitals.  It’s the same as the French.  The capital falls on G1, and the French territories remain French until an Axis power takes control of a French territory.  THEN, an Allied power can wrest control of that territory back from the Axis, and THEN they take control of that territory for themselves.  Until the capital is liberated, in which case all of that power’s ORIGINAL territories immediately revert to the original owner’s control. 
    The IC remains major regardless - see #1.

• Wonderful, thank you for the quick reply!

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

A couple of questions……

1. Does a sub prevent bombardment from cruisers and battleships (no destroyer present) I think attacker can choose to ignore the sub, right?

2. secondly, if the bombarded area (such as western germany) has an airbase and you scramble a fighter against the attacking sea units, then no bombardment can occur, right?

3. Given situation 1 and 2, the attacker also attack the airbase, you can stil scramble from air base, right?

• '15

1: I’m only 99% confident in my answer here, so I’ll let someone else do it for me.

2: Correct. The scramble creates a sea battle, so no bombardment.

3: You choose your scrambles before any attacks are made, so yes, so long as your air base was undamaged before the start of the combat phase, you can choose to scramble/intercept/remain at your whimsy.

• @oysteilo:

A couple of questions……

1. Does a sub prevent bombardment from cruisers and battleships (no destroyer present) I think attacker can choose to ignore the sub, right?

If the attacker chooses to ignore the submarine, no sea battle will occur. So bombardment during an amphibious assault will be possible.

• That’s right, the sub can be ignored and so the ships can bombard, unless the defender scrambles something, which brings the sub(s) into the battle and they can’t be ignored

• '15

@Gamerman01:

That’s right, the sub can be ignored and so the ships can bombard, unless the defender scrambles something, which brings the sub(s) into the battle and they can’t be ignored

Just to cover all the bases, the sub can then submerge before the fight and effectively decline to enter the fight, mind you.

• Sponsor

If ANZAC attacks Japan, does Japan continue to collect 10 IPCs for trade with America? the condition reads “has not made an unprovoked declaration of war on UK/ANZAC”.

• Yes, Japan still collects

Can’t be at war with USA, did not make unprovoked DOW on UK/ANZ and has not attacked French Indo-China

3 conditions

• Sponsor

Thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m