• I am not sure I have one.
    No book has changed my life, but one changed my history reading.
    You will hate me: Mc Pherson’s Battle Cry of Freedom. Was at University and saw it in the bookshop on campus. Had a year earlier bought a short history of the English Civil War, only to put it down, bored,  half way through.
    My interest in History’s battles and commanders changed from solely WW2 to include your war. And that is where I am now.

• Thus Spoke Zarathustra
    The world as Will and Representation
    The Republic
    Elements of the Philosophy of Right
    FAUST

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

The Lord of the Rings & The Silmarillion

• '10

This is easy for me. The Bible changed my life and changed my destiny. I know where I wll be after my death. I dont know if we are allowed to discuss Christianity on this forum so I will stop here.

• What did you enjoy about FAUST?

The pursuit of knowledge and what man would do for it. The work offers many new insights on the human condition and what life is all about.

• Lord of the Rings
    Lord of the Flies
    Stalin Biography (Don’t remember the actual title)
    Farhenheit 451
    The Tripods Trilogy
    Any choose your own Adventure book
    And Then There Were None

• Loved the Silmarillion!
    but…
    my list…I guess would be,
    The History of god
    The rise and fall of the great powers
    The god delusion
    Letters to a christian nation
    The american way of war

in no particular order.

• The Bible

• The bible was good, especially the children’s version I was given when I was very young. I still have it in the bookcase. And early in my life I would have listed the antiquated stories of the new testament much higher on my list but the problem with reading and EDUCATION in general, at least for me, is that I discovered that there were many currently practiced religions and gods and many dead (not practiced) religions and gods out there (which is also a very cool field to study) and I started reading many “holy” books and they are basically all the same.

Anyway that started my dabbling in the world of theology…old and new testament, book of mormon, Koran, hinduism etc…Oh and I got like 5 chapters into the 1st book on scientology but by then I had had enough.

So I should add children’s version of the new testament onto the list. It really got the ball rolling for me. It had great pictures too!

• Sun Tzu’s the art of war
    Zen Speaks; shouts of nothingness

• @Clyde85:

Sun Tzu’s the art of war
    Zen Speaks; shouts of nothingness

I have had that in my hand a dozen times but never walked out of the bookstore with it. I think you have convinced me to get it next time.

• :-D  which?

Seriously, a long list:

Secular:

• The Letters of John and Abigail Adams
    • The Everything book of Creative Writing (inspired me to do what I do now)
    • Atlas of World History, Harper Collins
    • American Heritage Dictionary (I was one of those kids, reading the dictionary. The depth of our language, and the lack we have of articulating it, and how we could be better articulators _, fascinates me)
    • Whatever happened to Justice
    • The King’s Fifth (Motivated my writing style)
    • My college accounting textbook (More people need to learn accounting, seriously! US government for sure)
    • Art of War
    • Federalist Papers (haven’t gotten through all of them, I know it’s not technically a book, but it forms the framework to much of American political thought… together, they are a book!)
    • The fiction of William Faulkner (particularly “The Sound and the Fury,” and, “Light in August.” Hard to get through, but stunning as literary works, and as studies in Southern American thought during Jim Crowe. I now really enjoy the genre of Southern Gothic, and effected my writing.)

Religious:

• The Bible (the Historical, Religious, and Philosophical aspects… At the least, Western Society claims most of it’s ethical and moral roots from the Judeo-Christian ethic)
    • Revival Fire (study of church movements throughout history)
    • The Reformation
    • Mere Christianity
    • Out of the Silent Planet
    • Anthology of Religion (Textbook suggested to me by a former missionary, at the time my college religion professor. Academic depth essay arguments for both sides, great read for theist/atheist).
    • And, although not any books, Hours of academic lectures from the likes of Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris and D’Souza/Craig/Lennox/Zacharias on arguments for and against theism/atheism, plus numerous diatribes from small name apologists from both sides. I put them here, since most of their lectures could have been books, and they have had profound effects on how I argue, and debate. Yes, now you know why I have a hard time not deleting religious arguments on the boards. ;)

GG_

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Guerrilla:

• Atlas of World History, Harper Collins
    • American Heritage Dictionary (I was one of those kids, reading the dictionary. The depth of our language, and the lack we have of articulating it, and how we could be better articulators _, fascinates me)
    • Art of War
    • Federalist Papers (haven’t gotten through all of them, I know it’s not technically a book, but it forms the framework to much of American political thought… together, they are a book!)

Religious:

• The Bible (the Historical, Religious, and Philosophical aspects… At the least, Western Society claims most of it’s ethical and moral roots from the Judeo-Christian ethic)
    • Mere Christianity

GG

Very nice picks GG. I can identify personally with these… and considering how much we seem to have in common I might look up some of the others you named._

• Mere Christianity.
    Lord of the Rings
    The Ruso-German War 1941-45
    The Trail of the Fox
    The German Raider Atlantis
    Breakout

• Sponsor

Three Profound books that at different time, have changed my life.

The Power of your Subconscience mind - Metaphysics
    The last message - Raelianism
    Into the void - meditation

• Great thread Cromwell.
    Everyone’s  answers have been so interesting and varied.

• @Clyde85:

:-D  which?

the art of war

• @Guerrilla:

Hours of academic lectures from the likes of Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris and D’Souza/Craig/Lennox/Zacharias on arguments for and against theism/atheism, plus numerous diatribes from small name apologists from both sides. I put them here, since most of their lectures could have been books, and they have had profound effects on how I argue, and debate. Yes, now you know why I have a hard time not deleting religious arguments on the boards. ;)

WOW, that sounds very cool. I wish I was able to sit there in those lectures with you. I am jealous.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m