Current 2020 Global 1940 2nd Edition Bid?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

My gaming group has been playing Global 1940 2nd Edition since it came out. As a group it is by far our favorite game played. We all recognize the Axis have a clear advantage. I was curious what current bids are to be the Axis in general? We initially started out giving the Allies 6-12 and that quickly grew to 15-18 followed by in the 20s, then 30s, then 40s and in 2019 in the 50s. In the past three months we have finally hit the 60 barrier.

In the last five games with 60+ bids the Axis is still winning 60% of the time:
    60 - Won
    60 - Lost
    61 - Won
    62 - Lost
    64 - Won

We play Global 1940 2nd Edition with National Objectives with no House Rules except placement of the Bid. We do not use the optional Research Rules.

Bid placement is as follows:
    a) Bid money is used to purchase units to be placed on the board immediately or put in an Allied Power’s starting income.
    b) Only 1 unit may be placed in any territory or sea zone.
    c) Any legal unit may be placed including infrastructure.
    d) There must be a unit of some type of the same Power being built in the territory or sea zone.
    e) Any unspent money is to be placed as starting income for any Allied Power(s).

Thus you could build an armor or minor industrial complex in Egypt but not both. Or you can place an artillery or infantry in China but not a fighter. You could not place an ANZAC infantry in New Guinea.

As I said I am just wondering if we play the Axis too well, the Allies poorly or this is typical now that bids to be the Axis are in the 60s.

Appreciate your time and effort in answering.

• '19 '18

Anecdotally, I would say that 60+ seems a bit high for a bid for Global 1940 2nd Edition. Unfortunately there isn’t much hard data to go on. The forum league provides a pretty good sample of top tier players (the best in the world as far as I can tell) however they predominantly play the Balance Mod set of house rules, so it’s an apples/oranges comparison.

I believe the highest I’ve seen in the league for Out Of Box was a mid-40’s bid for a finals game a couple of years ago.

On the other hand though, I think it’s legitimate for their to be a bid premium for live games. Playing as the allies in a live game is much harder to plan and coordinate because you have time pressure and allies to coordinate with. When you play a TripleA game you have as much time as you want, and no allies with differing priorities.

Long story short, 60+ seems high, but could be legitimate if you’re group is very skilled and you also factor in a live game premium. However I suspect the allied play might have room to improve.

One thing you could do is download TripleA and take a look at how some top tier league players are playing to see if you can find some improvements for the allies. Or you could try some league games and intentionally take the axis to see how you do against allied players you haven’t played before.

I suppose you could also try to set up a live game against some experience players outside of your group, but that might be harder to make happen.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Are you playing live games on the board or do you use triple A

If you play live games using pieces and actual dice you need to work on your allied play
    If you play on triple a you still need to work on your allied play

at 60 bid you should have a clear advantage with live play. The advantage is still there for the allies if you use triple A.

try to bid 6 fighters in Russia next time.

Or try fighter scotland, sub 111,110, 98, fighter malta, bomber egypt and destroyer 91

• So 87 views so far and no one really told me what they bid. Maybe I did not explain myself properly or people do not want to give away what they bid for competitive reasons. I thought it would be pretty easy and quick to say “I bid this…”

Thank you @Tizkit for letting me know the highest bid you have heard of was $42. We play both Live games and sometimes TripleA via PBEM. Especially if we do not finish a game we transfer it to TripleA and finish it that way. I would agree with you that it is harder for the Allies to coordinate than the Axis. Our group of 12-15 has four extremely strong Players; certainly among the best in the world from what I have seen and experienced. Perhaps we just play the Axis so strong it requires that kind of Bid.

I would be very interested in seeing how to look at other bids via TripleA as you mention and even other games for study purposes too. While I have used TripleA for PBEM I have never used it online and do not know how to do what you mention. Would you mind taking the time to explain it to me? Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Also I have heard of Balanced Mode and while I have never played that version, nor anyone in my group has as far as I know, I did look it up on this site and see that it has a modification to the NOs, China Guerilla Warfare, Marines and a Vichy Rule. Interesting. You say most Players here play the Balanced Mode. Perhaps I should start another thread asking how many play that and what kind of bids there are in that version. It might be fun to try it and see how different it plays than the OOB version.

@oysteilo thank you for your response however I was not really looking for a how to place the Bid discussion though that might be interesting in another thread. Any Bid certainly needs to take into consideration trying to save Moscow, or at least delay its capture, slow down Japan and contain Italy.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

I’ve seen bids of 15- 60 based on experience players.
    Try the balanced mod.

Taamvan

can give you more info on that. I believe that’s his mod.

• @AndrewAAGamer

I am replying on what I’ve seen people say, not on personal experience, although I played a game about 10 years ago or a couple years after second edition for 16 bucks allies.

I got my ass kicked. But I did take japan. Nice bomber attack and good dice :) Cant remember who I played but he was way cool.

Anyway, if playing live your number should be about that . All new players probably don’t need one .

I think if you’re just sitting at home with no pressure, than probably a 40. You could ask at @simon33
    He will know.

depends on experience level. Someone more knowledgeable then me will hopefully reply : )
    @Midnight_Reaper

• '19 '17 '16

I agree that at 60 the allies should have an advantage. What strategies are you using to slow down the Axis? I’d be thinking a ftr Scotland, DD 91, Yunnan stack would be the first things to do. Next you can think about a CV-less Taranto, although that can be risky.

• Thank you @SS-GEN for confirming that with solid Axis play you have seen bids of up to 60. Thus our experience is not so different than others which is what I was trying to ascertain.

@simon33 your response makes me wonder if our Bid System is normal or unique? Since we only are allowed to place one unit in any area that makes stacking impossible. For the online gaming what is that Bid System?

• @AndrewAAGamer The league (theoretically) has the same bid system as yours.

Yunnan stack refers to bidding extra USSR planes normally in Moscow and Stalingrad and flying them to Yunnan round 1, normally with another land unit bid there.

• '19 '18

@AndrewAAGamer said in Current 2020 Global 1940 2nd Edition Bid?:

I would be very interested in seeing how to look at other bids via TripleA as you mention and even other games for study purposes too. While I have used TripleA for PBEM I have never used it online and do not know how to do what you mention. Would you mind taking the time to explain it to me? Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Investigating league games is fairly straight forward if you already have TripleA. The first thing you need is to navigate to the league thread which you can find here:
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/category/29/league

There are many ongoing games, so just click on one and find the most recent post. Sometimes there will be conversations but for the most part there will be TripleA system generated turn summaries. At the bottom of the summary will be a file link that says “Savegame”

Clicking will download the TripleA file associated with that particular summary. Once open you can see the entire game history. (In TripleA: Game -> Show History) You might have to download the Balance Mod map TripleA to make sure you don’t get an error.

As for the bid of that particular game, most players include it in the title of the thread, but you can also go back to the first turn of the game, find where the units have been edited in and count up the value.

Interestingly, the 2019 Championship game for the top tier of the league is ongoing right now. I’m sure several people are keeping an eye on that game. Here are a couple of other helpful links as well.

League game results thread, where players post links to completed games:
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/30808/post-league-game-results-here

League Standings Spreadsheet, so you can see what tier the players are in:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhOB4pSke42ydEhlX0RfbGxmM3RMSHJQd083TV9JUGc#gid=10

Out of curiosity, if you don’t mind saying, where is your group located?

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Current 2020 Global 1940 2nd Edition Bid?:

Also I have heard of Balanced Mode and while I have never played that version, nor anyone in my group has as far as I know, I did look it up on this site and see that it has a modification to the NOs, China Guerilla Warfare, Marines and a Vichy Rule. Interesting. You say most Players here play the Balanced Mode. Perhaps I should start another thread asking how many play that and what kind of bids there are in that version. It might be fun to try it and see how different it plays than the OOB version.

Andrew is actually not correct that no one in the local group has played “balanced mode”. I have played it and found it to be A) anything but balanced, but admittedly a bit more balanced and B) a dumping ground for ideas that someone else thought was cool.

Since I can’t play it without using those ideas that I don’t like unless my opponent agrees to not use them and sticks by that agreement, I don’t play it.

Marsh

• @Marshmallow-of-War Hey Marsh! I will not use your real name because if you are who I think you are you do not want your name on the World Wide Web. You have played Balanced Mod? We should chat about next time we get together.

• @Tizkit thank you SO MUCH! What a bundle of information. I have already downloaded a couple of saved games and looked them over.

I see from the Leagues it is kind of find a partner to play system. Are there any Tournament Games? I would be interested in playing in a Global 1940 2nd Edition OOB Tournament if you guys have on this year. And if I get any Balanced Mod experience I might try that out too.

Otherwise I will read the rules to figure out how to play a League game.

Our group is in Seattle Washington. Greater Puget Sound really. I do not think any of our players actually live in Seattle. We get together at least once a month to play a live game. We usually have 6-9 people show up each time. I think about half of us play each other on TripleA too via PBEM. Though I know a couple have played online a lot though I do not know their handles.

Once I read the League Rules I may ask more questions about that. Thank you again for the great information!

• '21 '18 '16

I play on TripleA all the time bids range from 15-20. Allies can still win with good dice but they have to kind of pick one side and attack it. It does result in an actionless USSR just stack and wait.

• Thanks @seancb ! Just to confirm is that OOB or Balanced Mod?

• '21 '18 '16

@AndrewAAGamer OOB on TripleA

• '19 '18

@AndrewAAGamer said in Current 2020 Global 1940 2nd Edition Bid?:

I see from the Leagues it is kind of find a partner to play system. Are there any Tournament Games? I would be interested in playing in a Global 1940 2nd Edition OOB Tournament if you guys have on this year. And if I get any Balanced Mod experience I might try that out too.

Correct, people mostly seem to find opponents by either private messaging them or asking for one in the Find League Opponents Thread:

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/30809/find-league-opponents-thread

Now seems like a good time to try to find opponents because of everyone being on lock down. You can ask for an OOB game specifically, but like I said, the lion’s share are playing Balance Mod so OOB gets less interest.

I haven’t really seen any tournaments, however the year end playoffs are essentially a set of tournaments where you are seeded based on your rank for the year. (must have at least 3 league games completed to participate) The OOB rules are the default rules, but any rules can be used so long as the players agree. I appear to be the only one wanting to play OOB this year.

• Thank you @Tizkit. You are a wealth of information. I guess I will throw my hat into the ring on the League page for an OOB game. If there is not much interest I guess I will have to learn this Balanced Mod version.

Thanks again for all of your input.

• Customizer

I have not seen a bid system where you can only place 1 unit per zone. I am only familiar with bidding to put what you want where you want as long as there is a unit of that nationality present.

That being the case, bids in my games are also $15 - $20

• @jim010 said in Current 2020 Global 1940 2nd Edition Bid?:

I have not seen a bid system where you can only place 1 unit per zone. I am only familiar with bidding to put what you want where you want as long as there is a unit of that nationality present.

That being the case, bids in my games are also $15 - $20

so biding 6 inf in yunnan is okey then?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m