• '20 '19 '18

I’m working on some House Rules and a question has arisen. I won’t bore anyone with the details, so this may seem a bit odd. Here’s the question:

The rules clearly state that a Japanese attack on the Dutch East Indies is regarded as an act of war by the UK and ANZAC. What about a Japanese attack on either UK or ANZAC without a corresponding attack on DEI? Would the Netherlands consider that an act of war, or would their position be akin to “pro-Allies neutral?”

• I would say if Japan only attacks UK and or Anzac on a non Dutch territory then it’s not an act of war towards the Dutch. The Dutch actually declared war on Japan Dec 8 and then Japan already was planning to attack them on next day.

• @SS-GEN said in Dutch Neutrality Question:

I would say if Japan only attacks UK and or Anzac on a non Dutch territory then it’s not an act of war towards the Dutch. The Dutch actually declared war on Japan Dec 8 and then Japan already was planning to attack them on next day.

I agree. I think you can consider dutch territories the same way as french. Japan can declare war against uk/anzac and still be at peace with France, the same goes with the dutch

• '20 '19 '18

Thanks for the responses. I have to agree that the situation with the Dutch vis-a-vis Japan is most comparable to that of the French. I’ll proceed accordingly.

• The game actually treats Japan already at war with the Dutch on turn 0. However, there is no reason for Japan to ignore it since the oil is just too damn valuable both in real life and the NO Japan gets for it.

• @Caesar-Seriona said in Dutch Neutrality Question:

The game actually treats Japan already at war with the Dutch on turn 0.

How that?

Rulebook, Pacific 1940.2, page 37:

Political Situation: At the beginning of the game, Japan is at war only with China.

• Because the creators thought it was enough to put their colonies in but not count it as an independent faction hence why you can’t liberate their homeland because it’s marked as German Grey and how it lacks units, income, and turn. So they make it under this stupid exile in govern status.

• @Caesar-Seriona said in Dutch Neutrality Question:

Because the creators thought it was enough to put their colonies in but not count it as an independent faction hence why you can’t liberate their homeland because it’s marked as German Grey and how it lacks units, income, and turn. So they make it under this stupid exile in govern status.

Sorry, I don’t get that in the context of an argumentation for your previous statement:

@Caesar-Seriona said in Dutch Neutrality Question:

The game actually treats Japan already at war with the Dutch on turn 0.

As clearly stated by the rules Japan starts the game being at war with China only.
    There is no state of war between Japan and the Netherlands.

In order to attack Dutch colonies Japan needs to establish a state of war with UK/ANZAC instead.

Rulebook Pacific 1940.2, page 37:

Japan may attack Dutch territories only if a state of war exists between it and the United Kingdom and ANZAC.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m