• @simon33 , not only this but UK should be able to destroy all German Navy with the remaings of sz111 and London Ftrs.
    Because of the same pattern people use in Live games, they should allready adjust to a solid counter strike.
    Available options also are:
    • early Finnland Landing by UK.
    • Neutral Crush
    • Green Skys (US Bmbr swarm)

But enough since this derrails only the topic of this thread.

Maybe we should start groupe to like out each nation?
    Thoughts??

• @simon33 Yep, for example, UK2, once you see Germany isn’t doing Sea Lion land your starting fighters on Scotland then in Russia on UK3. 2-3 more fighters to add to the 3 a turn via Persia.

• @weddingsinger said in We need an allied playbook.:

I’ve been in a couple of games with the UK sz 92 stack instead of Taranto raid and it hasn’t gone great for UK. 2 out of 3 times Italy was left with planes and even a wounded battleship, and the benefit of 2 transports instead of 1. Small sample size so far.

Too right small sample size. Note then when you attacked my SZ92 stack you had ~35% of victory and kept 2 units. Draw was about 18%. Italians hit with every roll (low luck) and the Brits didn’t.

Still AldoRaine would have kept his fighters on the ground G1 and I scrambled. That makes a pretty big difference. I think not scrambling G1 is a big sacrificed to execute this strategy.

• @simon33 So you’re a strong advocate for UK scrambling against Germany G1 in both sea zones?

I kind of keep going back and forth on it, and am having a hard time deciding. I am inclined to think costing Germany planes, even if its an even exchange, is worth it. So I suppose I do think scrambling is (usually) worth it.

• '19 '17 '16

I do like scrambling G1, when both fleets are attacked. You can often kill 4 planes for losing 3, and I value the Luftwaffe more than the RAF.

The downside is you lose the TT SZ106 and there’s no J1 DOW, and also you lose the Scottish fighter you have no real moves UK1. So if you’re dead set on the SZ92 stack you probably can’t scramble to SZ110.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Hey, update. I’ve avoided posting because I’m putting theory into practice in the playbook game. Question that just popped into my head:. Which one of us is Larry?

• @crockett36 said in We need an allied playbook.:

Hey, update. I’ve avoided posting because I’m putting theory into practice in the playbook game. Question that just popped into my head:. Which one of us is Larry?

I’m not following your logic. If you’re asking if one of us is Larry Harris, the answer is, “none of the above”. If you meant a different Larry, you may need to specify.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper if I was Larry, I’d have a persona.

• @Mursilis agree. Give 'em boom boom sticks. Also make every other or at least 2 territories worth zero to Invaders.

• @taamvan I do not know how my game will turn out, but I stumbled on what I think is a strong move. Move the T3 Bryansk infantry force you’ve been building to retake or reinforce Ukraine. If the German player pushes forward he enters a killbox that can be hit by Moscow and the Ukraine force. Therefore he must destroy the Ukraine force, delaying the attack a turn. In addition, you hit that force which is composed of mostly infantry with the 3 tanks and 3 mechs you’ve been buying every round. Give it a look-see in the playbook game.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I think the allied playbook game is progressing to the point where I might be able to say that at the very worst, I will not be embarrassed and can re-enter the discussion.

My laptop went down and I’ve been super busy so the game is taking forever, but I’m optimistic.

I want to revisit strategic objectives. I have realized mine were defensive. What is the number one strategic offensive objective for the Americans, Russians, British?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@crockett36 to reconquer moscow with a BEF when it inevitably dies

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

yeah, having reserves and assets is sooooo important. I was playing a game where having American planes in the middle of Russia saved my biscuit. just about to move some mechs into s.russia for that very purpose.

I was thinking SOO for Russia would be cash. Between Africa, the Balkans, Manchuria and Scandinavia, Russia can loot their way to victory, grinding just short of Berlin and then “fighting a land war in Asia.” The Americans will take Berlin or die to make it happen for the Brits. They will then leave Italy for the Brits to take care of and head for Tokyo Bay. Literally. Bombers mug the seazone every round until cleared. Subs bring up the rear to convoy. Meanwhile all the transports from Europe arrive to form a grand armada that lands in Korea. The bombing and convoying halts all production. Up and over. Voila. Strategic Offensive Objectives.

• '18

@crockett36 Sounds like you fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia! :grinning:

• '18

@crockett36 It’s interesting to hear your personal opinion that your original objectives were defensive. I think that’s why I like the Taranto opening as it helps defend North Africa but also is an aggressive attack. I finally got Triple A to work and have been playing through different opening for the British. I find that as the UK I am deciding between investing in units for three areas: Britain for defense and future Dday, Egypt minor IC for NA campaign and push towards Greece, and Persia minor IC for India help and defense against Japan moving through China for Moscow. But three areas are a stretch, better strength investing in two of them.

• @Guam-Solo

I haven’t checked any games out in a while but some people are stacking SZ 92 and not doing Taranto. Idk how that plays out. Another thing to consider though : )

• @crockett36 said in We need an allied playbook.:

I was thinking SOO for Russia would be cash. Between Africa, the Balkans, Manchuria and Scandinavia, Russia can loot their way to victory, grinding just short of Berlin and then “fighting a land war in Asia.” The Americans will take Berlin or die to make it happen for the Brits. They will then leave Italy for the Brits to take care of and head for Tokyo Bay. Literally. Bombers mug the seazone every round until cleared. Subs bring up the rear to convoy. Meanwhile all the transports from Europe arrive to form a grand armada that lands in Korea. The bombing and convoying halts all production. Up and over. Voila. Strategic Offensive Objectives.

Does the Axis have any say in that? ;)

It’s good with offensive plans (like in offense is the best defense), but for instance the only time Russia can go for an income push is if there’s an early Sea Lion on the table or Germany in some other way does not put pressure on Russia. If Barbarossa is executed, those plans for Russia will be rather suicidal since it gives away Moscow far too easily. The to some extent pumped up income will also more or less land in the German loot, helping Germany further.

I think you need to formulate a bit more short-term and realistic objectives in order for them to be constructive. Like Russia putting pressure on the German invasion in order to stall it as much as possible, UK disrupting Italy and controlling Africa and ME, US neutral crush in Spain or the Allies in the Pacific making joint measures to disturb and preferably contain Japan.

• '18

@barnee I got Triple A working - finally…

• @barnee said in We need an allied playbook.:

@Guam-Solo

I haven’t checked any games out in a while but some people are stacking SZ 92 and not doing Taranto. Idk how that plays out. Another thing to consider though : )

If Germany takes S. France on G1, it doesn’t work out great.

In the 3 games I’ve played where my Allied opponent does it, Italy has had planes (and in one case, a battleship) left after sinking UK’s fleet. But I personally believe its worth Italy losing its fleet/planes to sink UK’s entire fleet and (hopefully) and 2-5 UK planes while Italy gets to use 2 transports to do something stupid.

/if Italy takes Morocco it makes a great landing spot for German planes to sink Allied shipping off Gibraltor

• @trulpen I agree 100% with you on that.

It is almost never a good idea to be too offensive against a strong playing Axis Germany Player.
    If you can’t achieve a 1 - 1 kill Ratio in battles, don’t even think about it.

What could possibly be the gain of attacking Germany as Russia other then the defeat.
    It simply does not pay off very well!

It is a little bit diffrent, when you are able to snipe out Italian can-openers…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m