WW2 movies, the most/least accurate.

• Enemy of the Gates

• Well that one should get a pass. That sniper is a real guy that the Soviets made a hero. The actor playing a German sniper was not at all interested in having any German mannerisms or accent ( forgot his name Ed Harris? or something)

• Customizer

@aequitas:

Enemy of the Gates

Jobs?

Most obviously inaccurate was the Enigma film that replaced British with Americans.

The Great Escape also added Americans to an all British POW camp.

Watch out for the new Dunkirk film giving credit to anyone but Hitler for allowing the British army to escape.

Worst of all, a new Dam Busters film intends to rename Guy Gisbourne’s dog Nigger as “Digger”.

• @Imperious:

Well that one should get a pass. That sniper is a real guy that the Soviets made a hero. The actor playing a German sniper was not at all interested in having any German mannerisms or accent ( forgot his name Ed Harris? or something)

It is the same like Pearl harbour.

Love movie
    Lots of explosives going off for nothing
    Only one guy is the hero
    Roll credits

True about the movie is:
    Name of the city Stalingrad
    The Name Saitzew
    Sniper shooting …

• @Flashman:

@aequitas:

Enemy of the Gates

Jobs?

Most obviously inaccurate was the Enigma film that replaced British with Americans.

The Great Escape also added Americans to an all British POW camp.

Watch out for the new Dunkirk film giving credit to anyone but Hitler for allowing the British army to escape.

Worst of all, a new Dam Busters film intends to rename Guy Gisbourne’s dog ������ as “Digger”.

U571 would have been the next movie i would have posted Flashman.
    The shot out of that depth was also fake.

• @aequitas:

@Imperious:

Well that one should get a pass. That sniper is a real guy that the Soviets made a hero. The actor playing a German sniper was not at all interested in having any German mannerisms or accent ( forgot his name Ed Harris? or something)

It is the same like Pearl harbour.

Love movie
    Lots of explosives going off for nothing
    Only one guy is the hero
    Roll credits

True about the movie is:
    Name of the city Stalingrad
    The Name Saitzew
    Sniper shooting …

Oh almost forgot.
    The Propaganda stuff was almost correct, but that was about it.

• I remember seeing a WWII movie starting Cary Grant. Grant was portrayed as the captain of an American submarine.

In one scene, the sub was attacked by two Japanese aircraft. This, even though there were no Japanese destroyers present.

To make matters worse, the Americans on the sub responded to the attack by using an aa gun mounted on the sub to shoot down both Japanese aircraft. (The aa gun could be removed and stored inside the sub for when the sub wanted to travel underwater.) Such a scene was far-fetched at best, because subs cannot fire at aircraft.

On a somewhat unrelated matter, I also read a book which claimed the Industrial Revolution began in England. This, clearly, could not have been the case. As everyone knows, it is impossible to construct an industrial complex on an island. Just can’t be done.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Are you trying to apply an AxA Rule to real life, because indeed, a submarine can shoot at aircraft, many had airborne interception radar and permanently mounted flak guns, it just doesn’t work really well because the submarine’s best protection is to submerge, not fight.

• I own a DVD of the movie in question, which is titled “Destination: Tokyo.”  The Japanese planes in question were “float Zeros”, meaning Zero fighters modified to function as seaplanes.  The weapons used by the sub crew to shoot them down were .50 caliber machine guns, which were in fact abundantly used on WWII American warships (including battleships) as short-range anti-aircraft weapons.  It’s quite credible that they’d be able to shoot down unarmoured, slow-and-low-flying planes like the ones shown in the film, particularly given that it took the sub crew a good couple of minutes to do so and that the plane got to make several passes before they were knocked out.  The sub in that particular scene in the movie, to answer taamvan’s point, was in shallow waters and in a constricted mountainous bay at the time of the attack, so it was unable to dive or to maneuver quickly.

• @taamvan:

Are you trying to apply an AxA Rule to real life, because indeed, a submarine can shoot at aircraft, many had airborne interception radar and permanently mounted flak guns, it just doesn’t work really well because the submarine’s best protection is to submerge, not fight.

My post was intended to gently poke fun at some of Larry Harris’s rules.

Obviously, the Industrial Revolution did start in England, hundreds of years before Larry made a rule against building industrial complexes on islands. And, equally clearly, subs sometimes did shoot down aircraft, as CWO Marc pointed out in his solid post.

• '17 '16

@KurtGodel7:

To make matters worse, the Americans on the sub responded to the attack by using an aa gun mounted on the sub to shoot down both Japanese aircraft. (The aa gun could be removed and stored inside the sub for when the sub wanted to travel underwater.) Such a scene was far-fetched at best, because subs cannot fire at aircraft.

Only in Axis and Allies are they not allowed.

In reality, they can most certainly fire on enemy aircraft… many subs on both sides had AA guns… it just usually was a pretty dumb idea, and a much better idea to submerge as fast as possible.

@KurtGodel7:

My post was intended to gently poke fun at some of Larry Harris’s rules.

EDIT:
    I ready your first post before your second post… pun is a pun… got it… carry on…

• Kurt does not own or play AA FYI

• @Imperious:

Kurt does not own or play AA FYI

As usual, you are just making stuff up.

• Take a picture of your game and post?

• '17 '16

@Imperious:

@KurtGodel7:

@Imperious:

Kurt does not own or play AA FYI

As usual, you are just making stuff up.

Take a picture of your game and post?

Uh Oh… Gauntlet thrown…

Will Kurt pick up and prove Imperious Leader wrong, or has Imperious Leader just exposed Kurt?

• U571 was ok. At least the equipment was mostly accurate.

• '17 '16

@Benito:

U571 was ok. At least the equipment was mostly accurate.

I haven’t seen that movie in so-long I don’t recall much about it… except I think remembering it was a nice action-flick but about as realistic as Pearl Harbor, and ergo something I wasn’t going to be rewatching later-on… which is why I can’t remember much about it.

• Who really captured those Enigma machines?

• @Wolfshanze:

I haven’t seen that movie in so-long I don’t recall much about it… except I think remembering it was a nice action-flick but about as realistic as Pearl Harbor, and ergo something I wasn’t going to be rewatching later-on… which is why I can’t remember much about it.

I saw it once.  I didn’t really care for it.  Like Wolf, I don’t recall much about it either…but I do recall groaning over its lack of historical accuracy (as noted in Private Panic’s post a moment ago).

• @Wolfshanze:

Uh Oh… Gauntlet thrown…

Will Kurt pick up and prove Imperious Leader wrong, or has Imperious Leader just exposed Kurt?

AA anniversary edition.JPG
    AA Classic.JPG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m