Just how balanced is the Balanced Mod?

• Sponsor

How many of those Allied wins are due to the Axis surrendering vs. Achieving the victory condition?

• Probably every single one of them - who plays til all 3 Axis capitals are down for an entire round?

• yah, if an Allies opponent forced me to play to that point in League, I would cry shenanigans. would be bad form.

• Sponsor

I’m just surprised more definitive victory conditions for the allies was not considered… basically waiting for someone to give up to validate your strategy has always been silly to me, I wanna say to them “You’ve lost, I win” not “do you give up yet?”

• '17 '16

@Private:

The balanced mod has other elements that bring the game closer to reality and are even more interesting.

For example, the Chinese spawn rule makes China a much more difficult nut for Japan to crack.

And the Vichy France rules add a swathe of possibilities that I am still discovering.

It’s a great addition to the A&A toolkit and I congratulate those responsible.

Thanks mates!

I can’t disagree with you on these points.

I was just trying to add more consistent historical feel on peripherical components.
    For instance, not using Marines units does it really affect the balance of the game?

• @Baron:

I was just trying to add more consistent historical feel on peripherical components.

I’m not sure what that sentence means.

@Baron:

For instance, not using Marines units does it really affect the balance of the game?

Lets play and find out.

• Sponsor

I don’t play online, so I guess I have nothing to offer here.

• @Young:

really? that’s a shame. i actually have been wanting a game against u (your tutorial videos on youtube were my first introduction to G40 strategy). Why don’t u play online? U don’t even do email games?

• Taking marines out would have a negligible effect on balance, I would say.  They’re just fun, adding more options no matter which side you play

• @Gamerman01:

Taking marines out would have a negligible effect on balance, I would say.  They’re just fun, adding more options no matter which side you play

I agree with this.

• @Young:

You are missing out.
    We would love to have you here in League.

• @Young:

you should, you’ll be able to playtest your ideas against some really top-notch competition and a lot of different approaches from opponents

• '17 '16

@regularkid:

@Baron:

I’m not sure what that sentence means.

@Baron:

Lets play and find out.

Sorry, I should have written “peripheral”, meaning marginal.

About play-tests.
    Any rooky player cannot be relevant to determine if Balance Mode is indeed balanced.

• @Baron:

About play-tests.
    Any rooky player cannot be relevant to determine if Balance Mode is indeed balanced.

Rookies are kind of like the “five year old child” test, so they’re not completely useless for playtesting, but that wasn’t who I was suggesting to use. There are some very skilled and experienced players online - possibly some of the most experienced, given how easy it is to play lots and lots of games in that format.

You could play two games of G40 a day online if you wanted to, and against a wide variety of opponents, so to be good online one can’t merely optimize against a particular opponent, but has to be ready to deal with all sorts of opponent approaches and strategies. There’s no way that could be achieved face-to-face. Overall level of game experience has to favor online players, and the best of the best are probably found in their number.

• Oi! Careful what you say about us rookies! Our feelings can be easily hurt!

At what point does a rookie become a non-rookie?

• Sponsor

@regularkid:

@Young:

really? that’s a shame. i actually have been wanting a game against u (your tutorial videos on youtube were my first introduction to G40 strategy). Why don’t u play online? U don’t even do email games?

I tried tripple A 4 years ago just after Gargantua introduced it at the FMG convention in Toronto. I was the Axis and got diced hard… like biblically epic, I lost 5 German planes and all my subs before I had to retreat, and the Brits were left with all their scrambled fighters a damaged battleship and a cruiser. That was my first and last experience with the automated dice, but there are other factors… I have more than enough opportunities to play table top games with my friends, and it’s not like I don’t get diced on my table, but I feel it’s different when it rolls from my own hand. Next, I’m just too busy with renovations, inventory at work, and designing customizations not that I would play if I had time… there’s something about looking at a screen that feels like time wasted. But to be honest, I’m not that great of a player and don’t wish to be exposed by some of the better players here… just to name a few reasons.

• @Private:

Oi! Careful what you say about us rookies! Our feelings can be easily hurt!

I’d say at the point where you can beat other rookies every time (excepting getting totally diced), you’re no longer a rookie.

• @SubmersedElk:

@Private:

Oi! Careful what you say about us rookies! Our feelings can be easily hurt!

I’d say at the point where you can beat other rookies every time (excepting getting totally diced), you’re no longer a rookie.

Good answer - I was thinking about how to answer this too
    One way is to play some league games - if you can rise above the lowest tier (tier 3) of players, you are most likely not a rookie any more.
    Here’s another way - you don’t have an “oh CRAP” moment every single time your opponent moves
    You don’t resign in 5 rounds or less every time
    You have a good understanding of the ramifications of turn order (you’re not getting blindsided by can openers or other move combinations)
    You have a good understanding of the map (no oh crap moments from “I didn’t know you could do that”), especially the notorious Z42 and Z46
    This is fun - who’s got more?

• @SubmersedElk:

Mmm! I generally play much more experienced players than myself, so don’t know on that one.

@Gamerman01:

One way is to play some league games - if you can rise above the lowest tier (tier 3) of players, you are most likely not a rookie any more.

I’ll have a look at that then Gamerman. Rookies are welcome in the League then?

I don’t think any of the other things you mention apply to me. In particular I have never resigned in 5 rounds or less. Or my selective memory is helping me to think that! Even in my first game of 1940G I drew with witt after 30 odd rounds. But then he was allies with no bid.

So there is a vague possibility I am now longer a rookie! Hooray!

• @Private:

I’ll have a look at that then Gamerman. Rookies are welcome in the League then?

Absolutely!  Stick your toe in the water - if you have any questions, ask them.  One of the coolest things about the league, is the point system helps a lot to size up your potential competition!  You can basically pick your difficulty level.  You can also see how many games someone has played, so you can avoid other players who are very new to the league if you so desire.  There is no commitment and you don’t sign up really or “join”.  Just play someone in the league section, report the game result when it’s over, and you’ve played a league game

I don’t think any of the other things you mention apply to me. In particular I have never resigned in 5 rounds or less. Or my selective memory is helping me to think that! Even in my first game of 1940G I drew with witt after 30 odd rounds. But then he was allies with no bid.

So there is a vague possibility I am now longer a rookie! Hooray!

Sounds promising, yes!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m