• Can someone build units one turn and place them the next turn? If not, what happens if someone builds a unit, then doesn’t place it?

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Use it or lose it - any units built but not placed are lost.  But you don’t have to spend all of your money; you can save some or all of it to use on a later turn.

• Official Q&A

You must mobilize as many of your purchased units as you can.  If for some reason you have purchased more units than you have the capability of mobilizing, the excess units (your choice of which units are excess) are returned and their price is refunded to you.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Then maybe, when I feel like exploiting that rule to my advantage, I can one day try something like this:

• Japan has conquered Malaya, and has two fighters there
    • There’s a US fleet in SZ6, and Japan wants to attack it
    • Japan has 46 IPC and only it’s home factory, and buys 10 infantry and an aircraft carrier
    • Japan attacks SZ6 using, among others, the fighters from Malaya
    • If Japan wins in SZ6, it will build the carrier there to land the surviving planes, plus 9 infantry
    • If Japan loses and the planes are destroyed, it will return the carrier and build 10 infantry

Alright…. I know I’m being silly.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Yeah I didn’t think you would get a refund.  Good to know Krieghund.  Thank you

• '15

@Herr:

Then maybe, when I feel like exploiting that rule to my advantage, I can one day try something like this:

• Japan has 46 IPC and only it’s home factory, and buys 10 infantry and an aircraft carrier
    • If Japan wins in SZ6, it will build the carrier there to land the surviving planes, plus 9 infantry
    • If Japan loses and the planes are destroyed, it will return the carrier and build 10 infantry

Actually, that doesn’t sound silly at all.  We may need a ruling on that for League play - that’s a really useful and powerful option.

• '12

@Krieghund:

You must mobilize as many of your purchased units as you can.  If for some reason you have purchased more units than you have the capability of mobilizing, the excess units (your choice of which units are excess) are returned and their price is refunded to you.

not sure why but i thought the rule was the units were placed in reserve to be placed the following turn, not a refund.  another question came to mind - can you buy more than you can legally place (with the production space you have at the beginning of the turn).  You can buy units that can be legally placed at the start of the turn, but if, for example, germany started their turn owning northern italy and the IC, but liberates rome in the course of the turn, therefore reducing their capacity to place units by three, then those units i thought went into reserve.  but can a power buy more than they can place given their starting production capacity (ie, russia buys 18 infantry but can only place 10, then loses moscow before the next turn.  are those units still in reserve and to be regained when the capital is regained?

• '12

@Shin:

@Herr:

Actually, that doesn’t sound silly at all.  We may need a ruling on that for League play - that’s a really useful and powerful option.

i believe this scenario cannot occur because you cannot buy more than you can legally place, i believe.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I recall that as well Bold, BUT, you could just do the same trick again, and max out your mobilization to prevent you from placing a unit that is sure to be destroyed.

Also, it’s unreasonable to build units as Russia in advance, and then place them the next turn after you lose your capital.  I think Krieghund’s ruling should be followed, it just turns into Liquid cash.

• '17

Bold, the rulebook is ironclad on this point:
    “In the event that you purchased more units than you can actually mobilize due to production limitations, you must return the over-produced units to the box (your choice of units), and the cost of the units is reimbursed to you” end of Mobilize New Units section, page 23

Krieghund,
    Here’s a followup question about this possible loophole … if I notice that my opponent purchased more units than he/she can possibly mobilize before we move past the Buy phase, can I force him/her to fix it? Or is it their right to do it incorrectly and be reimbursed during Mobilize?

• '12

gamer just confirmed THIS CHANGED from AA50 to G40.

• '12

@Gargantua:

I recall that as well Bold, BUT, you could just do the same trick again, and max out your mobilization to prevent you from placing a unit that is sure to be destroyed.

Also, it’s unreasonable to build units as Russia in advance, and then place them the next turn after you lose your capital.  I think Krieghund’s ruling should be followed, it just turns into Liquid cash.

i think there is a rule that you MUST place as many units as possible in the mobilization phase.

• @Gargantua:

Also, it’s unreasonable to build units as Russia in advance, and then place them the next turn after you lose your capital.  I think Krieghund’s ruling should be followed, it just turns into Liquid cash.

The rulebook already clearly says you turn them in for cash.  Page 23

• '12

@Gamerman01:

@Gargantua:

The rulebook already clearly says you turn them in for cash.  Page 22

wheat says page 23 - now which one of you is right or is there more than 1 rule book, or is it stated more than once in the rulebook?

• '17

It’s on page 22 in the 1st edition and page 23 in the 2nd edition.

• Man, if you would give me a second….

I edited it before I saw your post.  I have a hard copy of 1st edition rulebook because I bought the 1st edition game.  The 2nd edition rulebook has almost the same numbering, but at some point gets off a little.

• Ya’ll are gonna have to wait for Krieghund.  I don’t see that intentional over-purchase is disallowed.

Re-reading Krieghund’s reponse, he says “if for some reason you have purchased more units”

STILL room for interpretation!  Can you over-buy intentionally, or NOT?!

I’m guessing intentional over-buy is not allowed, and that if you were playing face to face, you could stop your opponent during the purchase phase, but what do I know?  No rule against intentionally over-buying, and Krieghund hasn’t yet said there is.

• '12

very important issue to clear up - should we assume krieg is reading this thread or post to the official FAQ thread?

• He’ll see it because he posted to it, I’m sure

• '12

tripleA does not allow you to build more units than you have production capacity i believe so that’s helpful.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m