• I see the consensus is against the factory.  I wish I could find the old thread discussing what the benefit of it was.  Maybe it was just a passing mention of the potential to put one in that territory.

• '15

A major IC there, I can’t see any reason it’d ever be better than just using what you already have apart from one:

G2: Transport buy
    G3: Do Sea Lion + buy MIC in Romania
    G4: Dig in for a really long game.

This would let you dump art/inf directly on the front with Russia. Obviously, don’t let Russia take it R3.

A minor IC there? I’d just rather have two more tanks or three more mechs and go and take the Ukraine factory Russia was nice enough to already build for me.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@drummerinheat:

I’ve read posts on here regarding purchasing a Major in Romania.   It seems to me to be a waste of ipcs. Wouldn’t it be better to spend that 30 on inf or fast units?  Am I missing something?  Is it to better equip Army group south?

I believe the standard position of those who use the major industrial complex in Romania is that it gets units to Moscow a whole turn faster.

Typical builds are:

G1: major industrial complex in Romania
    G2: 10 artillery in Romania complex
    G3: 5 mech, 5 tank in Romania complex
    G4: 5 mech, 5 tank in Romania complex
    yada yada yada

Personally, I think the Romania complex is a waste of 30 IPCs, but the folks in Portland OR apparently love it.

Marsh

• If you’re going for a G6 rush, it is a complete waste. Yeah, you can get troops to the front a round quicker, but it took you a round (and 30 IPCs!) to build the IC, so you don’t come out ahead at all.

• I think that building a major on Romania G1 tips your hand to the allies too much. It will give the UK some breathing room to be more aggressive IMO. Of course maybe you want to build a minor in Romania to make UK feel all warm and fuzzy inside, then when they don’t build home def UK1 buy transports G2 lol.

Anyway you have enough starting German units to push into both of the Russian front line minor ICs (Ukrainian and Leningrad) where you will use those ICs to build more German units as needed. You can start your move on Russia G2 if you want (especially if they fail to pull back from the front).

In the north you might need to buy a transport or two in the Baltic to threaten the northern IC to force the Russians to abandon it (or hit them hard if they try to stack it). Transports in the Baltic will also help you feed units into Norway/Finland, or more likely retake Norway if the allies make a landing there. Keeping some German navy in the Baltic for as long as you can will stall the allies from making landings in Scandinavia.

In the south you will have enough starting German slow units to push towards Ukraine (including your AA guns), but make sure to bring any surviving German mobile units from Paris through N Italy to Yugo on G2 so they can catch up to your front line units by G3 on Russian territory. An Italian can opener works well once on Russian territory. A couple Italian mech w/bmr used to open up territory next to the Russian stack so you can bring in a couple German ftrs for air cover (so the Russians can’t hit and run your southern stack).

• @drummerinheat:

I see the consensus is against the factory.  I wish I could find the old thread discussing what the benefit of it was.  Maybe it was just a passing mention of the potential to put one in that territory.

I believe the Romanian IC was more common in the first edition, when there was no Ukraine IC to take over.

• @Narvik:

@drummerinheat:

I see the consensus is against the factory.�  I wish I could find the old thread discussing what the benefit of it was.�  Maybe it was just a passing mention of the potential to put one in that territory.

I believe the Romanian IC was more common in the first edition, when there was no Ukraine IC to take over.

Good point Narvik

• @teslas:

A major IC there, I can’t see any reason it’d ever be better than just using what you already have apart from one:

G2: Transport buy
    G3: Do Sea Lion + buy MIC in Romania
    G4: Dig in for a really long game.

This would let you dump art/inf directly on the front with Russia. Obviously, don’t let Russia take it R3.

A minor IC there? I’d just rather have two more tanks or three more mechs and go and take the Ukraine factory Russia was nice enough to already build for me.

Actually, Larry built it for you.  The Ukraine facility wasn’t in the first rendition of the game (and Berlin had a MINOR  :roll:)

• @Narvik:

@drummerinheat:

I see the consensus is against the factory.�  I wish I could find the old thread discussing what the benefit of it was.�  Maybe it was just a passing mention of the potential to put one in that territory.

Just saw this.

And there was only a MINOR in Berlin.  That’s probably why.

So like everyone is saying - hard to imagine it being very effective now that you have the Ukraine complex AND a MAJOR in Berlin.

• Interestingly, Germany is the only economy to start with two major factories.

• Yeah, when you put it like that, British boy  :wink:

The UK is a second playable POWER that has 2 major complexes to start

• @Gamerman01:

Yeah, when you put it like that, British boy  :wink:

True, but India, after about 3-4 turns, never has enough money to build more than 3 units there anyway…it’s actually a liability as a major then, since Japan can bomb it to 20 damage instead of 6, requiring an extra cost of 14 to make it functional.

• 2007 AAR League

Wouldn’t Western Germany and or any future counter-attacks West be hard to do/hold if it wasn’t a Major Complex?

• Interesting to read about the differences between 1st and 2nd edition.  I picked up my copies of 1940 in January/February of this year.  I must have read a post from 1st edition.  Thanks for all the thoughts and replies everyone!

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Gamerman01:

Yeah, when you put it like that, British boy  :wink:

True, but India, after about 3-4 turns, never has enough money to build more than 3 units there anyway…it’s actually a liability as a major then, since Japan can bomb it to 20 damage instead of 6, requiring an extra cost of 14 to make it functional.

But the first 7 damage that Japan does to it doesn’t hurt India, by your own logic.  If it was a minor, the first point of damage hurts.

• @drummerinheat:

Interesting to read about the differences between 1st and 2nd edition.  I picked up my copies of 1940 in January/February of this year.  I must have read a post from 1st edition.  Thanks for all the thoughts and replies everyone!

Yes, after a bit I realized this is probably what was going on.  In first edition, a Romanian complex made a LOT more sense than it does now.  Glad I could help

• I like Romanian complex. It sets me up for reinforcing the Eastern Front if I do a DOW Russia 1st turn as Germany. I can exploit weaknesses behind Russian enemy lines using sea assaults with transports if I need to bypass the front lines Russia has set up against Russia and send units to take control of the IC two spaces away from Russia.

• @MakeMaps:

I like Romanian complex. It sets me up for reinforcing the Eastern Front if I do a DOW Russia 1st turn as Germany. I can exploit weaknesses behind Russian enemy lines using sea assaults with transports if I need to bypass the front lines Russia has set up against Russia and send units to take control of the IC two spaces away from Russia.

after dropping 30 IPC’s on a complex and then purchasing a navy to do sea assaults, I don’t see how you will have enough bodies to make a strong push into Russia.  That’s the entire argument against purchasing the complex.  It distracts from the main objectives.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The sea assault is also slower than it looks – if you build a factory on G1, and a navy on G2, you still can’t get your troops to Ukraine / Caucasus any faster than G3, which means you can’t take the factory in Volgograd before G4.

Even if you’re just marching overland as normal, you can get to Eastern Poland / Bessarabia on G1, Ukraine on G2, Rostov on G3, and Volgograd on G4. The navy gives you a bit of tactical flexibility, but it doesn’t give you any extra speed, and it’s wicked expensive.

If you have extra Italian boats in the Med because the British refused to attack there or something like that, I could see the Italians diverting a transport and a destroyer to the Black Sea to have some fun and do some can-opening for German tanks, but a German Black Sea navy is a huge waste of time – and I say this as someone who thinks a factory in Romania can make sense as a way to get some closer infantry!

• @Argothair:

If you have extra Italian boats in the Med because the British refused to attack there or something like that, I could see the Italians diverting a transport and a destroyer to the Black Sea to have some fun and do some can-opening for German tanks, but a German Black Sea navy is a huge waste of time – and I say this as someone who thinks a factory in Romania can make sense as a way to get some closer infantry!

Unfortunately, Italian ships wouldn’t be able to sail through the Dardanelles without control of Turkey.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m