US Liberates Egypt than on to Greece and a Minor IC

• OK we all know that to successfully play the US you have to excel in something that the US military always has……Logistics.  It’s not easy to continually keep pressure on the Axis because the US is so far away.  An attack on Italy could be successful but that would leave the US almost no troops holding it and the Germans would take it back next round.  So I figured what might be a viable startegy would be to do a feint against Rome.  Instead of attacking Italy Liberate Egypt have your Brit allies build a factory there.  If the Germans DO NOT have a major IC on Romania take those American troops land them in Greece build a minor IC.  That’s 6 units a round for the allies between the US IC in greece and the UK IC in Egypt.  Of course with the US you would still be building infantry and artillary and Transports from the Eastern US.  If Germany wanted to build a ton of tanks to come and attack Greece they would probably be successful but that just takes pressure off the Soviet Union.  No matter what happens now the Allies have opened up a viable Southern front on the axis, one which the Italians couldnt defend alone as by this point they wouldn’t have the economy due to loss of NO’s and territory, plus the allies should be bombing the piss out of Rome by this point so Italy would be struggling just to build a few infantry every round.  This would force the Germans to divert some of their production south which would pretty much take the boot off the Russians neck and allow them to not only survive but possibly drive the Germans back.  I know this plan may not be as direct as just wave after wave after wave of US landing against Italy but each wave takes time to set up.  This may not be as direct but I think it could possibly be more crippling in that it’s smaller pressure but constant every round.  What do you guys think, any merit in this?

• For me clearing the Med and liberating Egypt is always top priority. Italy has to keep units in Italy anyway, since it always has to consifer the possibility of an attack on Rome. So ‘feinting’ isn’t really the case here, i think.
    An early attack on Italy sounds not so smart (unless it is badly defended)
    After Egypt is secured, a UK IC there is a logical, good choice (building up a front in case Germany breaks through in Russia), and all of South Europe can become the next target.

As for bombing Rome… i prefer sending subs to do convoy raids (much safer).
    (the combination of both is of course also an option)

• I find that strong German and Italian naval/air play make any US move into the Med a struggle in the first place. A UK IC in Egypt can quickly become hard to fill with a good German stranglehold on British convoy zones and a bombing campaign.

I’d love to play against an Axis player who let me walk into the Med…  :)  I ain’t that lucky.

• @Stalingradski:

I find that strong German and Italian naval/air play make any US move into the Med a struggle in the first place. A UK IC in Egypt can quickly become hard to fill with a good German stranglehold on British convoy zones and a bombing campaign.

I’d love to play against an Axis player who let me walk into the Med…  :)  I ain’t that lucky.

Just for the record, i don’t claim that clearing the Med is a walk-over ;)
    (and i am not that lucky as well)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

To me, dealing with Egypt is something I only worry about if there is a German ground unit there (ie they have the NO) or if England is German controlled (ie I can put a complex there).

• Customizer

I had always thought that UK putting an IC in Egypt was basically a “gift” to the Italians.  Usually, if Germany accomplishes Sealion, it still is.  However, the last couple of games, our UK player placed an IC and an Airbase in Egypt, then stacked up with all available land units and planes from India.  By the way, Germany didn’t do Sealion and went straight to Barbarossa, although they still kill the UK fleet.

This was another fault in my thinking.  I had always (when playing UK) kept my planes in India to fight the Japs.  It really helps out against Italy.  Those planes can end up decimating the Italian navy and Italy eventually loses all their transports.  The big Tobruk force gets wiped out plus the Italians in Central Africa.  Italy ends up getting trapped in Europe and not really contributing to the overall Axis war effort.  Meanwhile UK uses that IC to either build up a force to land troops in Southern Europe, which gives Italy and Germany both a small headache, or to send tanks rolling through the Middle-East to help out Russia.

Just a thought, but I am guessing the British were allowed to do this because Japan was expending their might in China?  This is why I advocate avoiding China as much as possible and focusing on either Russia or India.

• Customizer

Well, some in China and some in trying to capture all the DEI, Philippines and Hong Kong.  Also, Japan starts having to deal with the US Navy pretty quickly.  Our US player has been using a strategy of moving most of their warships plus a couple of transports to the Sea zone off of Queensland in the neutral rounds.  They usually get a pretty decent fleet there yet still have some ships around Hawaii so are able to pounce on the Jap fleet pretty quick after war is declared.

Remember, any attack on British territories including the DEI will allow USA to enter the war and they go right after Japan.  So, between some action in China, taking these territories and dealing with the US fleet, Japan isn’t really pushing hard on India so they can help support the Brits in Egypt.

I generally get pretty ballsy for a girl in regards to Australia and India.  I dare them, no, I double dare them to attack me first.  That way, I can snicker at an impotent America while I mop the floor with those two nations.  If they don’t attack me (this is all assuming I dont do Crush Calcutta of course) then I get away without defending my stuff.

• Customizer

Oh yeah!  When I play Japan, I just LOVE for India or Australia to attack me first.  In one game, they were silly enough to do so on round 1.  Then I had the next two rounds to send my very powerful fleet down to smash their stuff and take their lands (carefully bypassing the Philippines of course).

• Silly would indeed be the correct word for any India/ANZAC player doing such a thing…

Anyway, wasn’t this about Egypt?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m