• @ABWorsham:

If I remember correctly Himmler would have escaped the check point he was discovered at had he not had an over abundant amount of paperwork which raised suspicion.

Didn’t know that. Thanks Worsham. Thank God for his obsessive security and paranoia then.

• @toblerone77:

However AB always seems to start conversations to entertaining to pass up.

Thanks friend, I enjoy fun WWII talk.

• There was an U-Boat rumor during and after the war that Germans had a secret Antarctic base.

• A couple of extra thoughts on this subject:

Hitler was pretty much a physical wreck by 1945.  John Keegan’s book The Mask of Command gives a vivid portrait of his physical decay after Stalingrad and later after the 1944 attempt on his life, with one observer commenting that in six months he aged about ten years.  He had Parkinson’s disease, he was under enormous stress, he was sleeping badly, and he was being given all kinds of bizarre medications by his quack doctor, Thedor Morrell.  By the end of his life, he apparently couldn’t walk very far without having to stop to take a rest.  So any escape option involving physical exertion (let alone combat) would have been hard to manage.

Folks interested in the concept of Hitler escaping from Berlin in April 1945 may want to read the following novels: The Trial of Adolf Hitler, by Philippe Van Rjndt, and The Berkut, by Joseph Heywood.  In the first book, Hitler tries to commit suicide in the manner which he apparently did actually use (a combination of poison and a self-inflicted pistol wound) but he survives nonetheless (the author invokes as a parallel Rasputin’s initial survival of a multi-method assassination attempt) and decides that fate wants him to live after all – so he and and SS guard devise an on-the-spot escape plan.  He ends up being discovered and tried before the United Nations many years later.  In the second book, Hitler escapes as part of a carefully-arranged secret plan rather than an impromptu one and goes into hiding, with a crack team of Soviet security personnel hot on his trail under personal orders from Stalin to find him and bring him back alive – which they ultimately do.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@toblerone77:

First I cannot stand Hitler. However AB always seems to start conversations to entertaining to pass up. So… as Hitler I would go out in a blaze of glory with my remaining devotees, with exception of sending the Hitler Youth home so they might live. There’s no sense in letting them die so young for a lost cause.

Are you kidding?

You fool! You have to Send the children in first wave! :P

(I hope my sarcasm is appreciated)

• Customizer

LOL Garg. That’s why you are A&A.org’s Villain!

• '17 '16 '15

yea charge the reds and save the kids

How else to perpetuate you’re twisted sh…

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

@toblerone77:

First I cannot stand Hitler. However AB always seems to start conversations to entertaining to pass up. So… as Hitler I would go out in a blaze of glory with my remaining devotees, with exception of sending the Hitler Youth home so they might live. There’s no sense in letting them die so young for a lost cause.

Are you kidding?

You fool! You have to Send the children in first wave! :P

(I hope my sarcasm is appreciated)

I actually listened to a podcast about a guy who was drafted at 15 in 1945. The only reasons he survived was he got severely sick during boot camp in Norway and was delayed from being sent to Berlin. When he did get assigned to a different front, his commanding officer instructed him and his comrades to go home as quickly as they could. His Colonel was a 70 year old draftee who probably lost his life for sending the boys home.

He later moved to the US and started a family business which his son runs today.

The podcast is The History of WWII Podcast Hosted by Ray Harris Jr.

• '13

Would Spain have been open to taking him in in secret? Or would that be too close in Europe?

I don’t know what Francos opinion of Hitler was by the end of the war but it may have been worth a shot.

• @Quintus:

Would Spain have been open to taking him in in secret? Or would that be too close in Europe?
    I don’t know what Francos opinion of Hitler was by the end of the war but it may have been worth a shot.

I don’t know what Franco’s opinion of Hitler was in 1945, but Hitler’s opinion of Franco took a very negative turn in October 1940 when the two men met to discuss, among other things, Hitler’s proposal for Spain to facilitate a German plan to seize Gibraltar (Operation Felix) and possibly even to join the war.  Franco presented Hitler with such a long list of conditions that Hitler dropped the proposal in disgust, later stating that “I would rather have four of my own teeth pulled out than go through another meeting with that man again.” Which is saying a great deal, considering that whenever Hitler had dental surgery done, he would allegedly insist that his dentist, Dr. Blaschke, perform the procedures with the strictest possible minimum of anaesthetic.

• @Quintus:

Since Franco did not want to join Hitler in 1940, when everybody believed that Germany would win the war, then why should Franco help Hitler in 1945 when Germany had lost the war ? It is rational to believe that the Allies would have put a lot of pressure on Franco to make him deliver Hitler to them. Spain was poor and depended on international trade. I don’t think Franco was eager to starve just to protect Hitler

• '13

He would be housing Hitler himself, not helping Germany. And yes it would be stupid to announce they were holding Hitler. He would be taken in secret, probably until death.

Just wondering if Franco would be willing to take him in, which im guessing is a no.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m