• Customizer

I’m not a fan of the “mixed stippled mud” visual style of recent official A&A maps, and was wondering what others would prefer as a map style.

“Solid National Colours” would match those of the pieces.

By “Geographic” I mean a map that looks like a geographic section of a standard atlas, with relief and terrain.

“Solid Terrain Colours” would be green for lowlands, gray for mountains, sand for desert etc. Only relevant if terrain has some effect on movement and combat.

• My favorite map was Milton Bradley edition with the artistic terrain features

• Customizer

Quire frankly, you’re all blind.

• My favorite map was the solid political colors of combined. There were clear borders that gave a sense of the factions stacked against each other.

• My favorite map is the color scheme for the original Pacific, which this 1914 one kinda looks like.

• The original Axis and Allies Europe has the best artwork by far. At first glance from the somewhat small image of the 1914 map I wasn’t too thrilled with it, but it’s kinda hard to tell. Still very excited for it. I was hoping for a blow up box like Triple A’s Great War for the Western front. That to me was a brilliant way of simulating the trenches without just having stacks of infantry slug it out with Berlin and Paris 2 spaces away. It gives the feeling of sending the men into the most disastrous war zone ever and then actually having a chance to maneuver the troops. Attacking and counter attacking each time only making small gains just like the war. I’m hoping if this game is successful we’ll get more World War I games from the A&A line including specific battles and maybe a “deluxe” version of this game with more kinds of units and a map that focuses more on Europe. Something more on the lines of the original AAE, but slightly larger with more spaces in Europe and an expanded Middle East. Does anyone else think it was a mistake to make the map more global at the expensive of having detail in Europe? The African, Asian, and North American fronts could of easily been done in small boards that connected to the main board something I think like AA Guadalcanal.

pic1053348_md.jpg

• Best map for me is ILs  Advance World War 2 map and then Tigermans. The WW1 map to me is not good. Looking forward to IL`s map as always.

• @Imperious:

My favorite map was Milton Bradley edition with the artistic terrain features

Totally agree  :wink:

• Advance World War 2 map

OMG you still play that?

• Twice with your rules, (axis victorys) D-12 and twice with Crusas rules D-6 with pieces setup (easier for everybody than deploying) with a axis and a allies victory. His rules have the same amount of pieces ( 600 ) at start and just tweaked a few ships added. Ill never forget when I had that map made up in 4 x 8 foot and played our first game and it has just so much room. I do use my 3 x 6 map alot too. Russia does have a navy on both sides. 39 global games rule do to so much tons of extra stuff in them. 40  global  isn`t close for me.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I like A&A revised…

• @Karl7:

I like A&A revised…

I 2nd that

• If thats the one I`m thinkin of, the water is too dark blue for me.

• Customizer

I prefer solid colours, with borders easy to make out (hence I’m not too keen on the A&A Global family).

The reason I prefer plain green is that colour-coded starting tts soon lose much meaning when control of tts changes; also they can only ever suit one scenario. I’d rather have national symbols on tts which can then be overlayed with control markers. This also allows adding terrain types simply by shading.

Revised was particularly poor in this regard, with that awful German “West Russia” tt sticking out into Russia where Moscow should be.

• @Imperious:

My favorite map was Milton Bradley edition with the artistic terrain features

That was definitely the best :-D

• Global 40, Revised toooo dark.

• Yea that one sucked.

• Customizer

My map updated:

Not quite happy with northern Russia; really warped in this area.

Some VCs in west/central Europe now border each other. Wanted to avoid this, but not possible given the layout of France.

Note the vital strategic location of Haiti. With its dominant German minority, the USA will have to take it out before the Kaizer bases long-range bombers there and wrecks the American economy.

Beginning to think that VCs should be the key to this game, much more so than in WWII.

This is simply because WWII was fought to a finish militarily, WWI was not. VCs therefore would have 2 major functions:

1. Capture and loss of VCs move your morale marker up and down (pushing countries eventually into revolution - much more likely and historical than capturing their capital).

2. In the event of a stalemate after 20 rounds, the number of VCs held (over your starting number) determines a (minor) winner.

Axis&Allies1914.PNG

• @Flashman:

I’m not a fan of the “mixed stippled mud” visual style of recent official A&A maps, and was wondering what others would prefer as a map style.

“Solid National Colours” would match those of the pieces.

By “Geographic” I mean a map that looks like a geographic section of a standard atlas, with relief and terrain.

“Solid Terrain Colours” would be green for lowlands, gray for mountains, sand for desert etc. Only relevant if terrain has some effect on movement and combat.

Who’s the character in your avatar man?  I have always wondered that?

• Customizer

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m