• '12

Or…. you have a mental illness.  I think its a tautology to say people who commit suicide have a mental illness.  We can list all the rational ways people should cope.  But there are some people with mental illnesses that are barely keeping it together.  I would imagine that nurse was one of them.  Only a crazy person would kill themselves and leave their children motherless because of a embarrassing situation at work.

I think making crank phone calls to hospitals is a rather poor choice of humour.  The DJs might eventually be charge with making a recording of a phone call without the permission of the other party (then broadcasting it) which is pretty standard law with most countries I would think.

An update to that story:
    Kate hoax call: Scotland Yard contacts Australian police
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20656911

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Or…. you have a mental illness.  I think its a tautology to say people who commit suicide have a mental illness.  We can list all the rational ways people should cope.  But there are some people with mental illnesses that are barely keeping it together.  I would imagine that nurse was one of them.  Only a crazy person would kill themselves and leave their children motherless because of a embarrassing situation at work.

I think making crank phone calls to hospitals is a rather poor choice of humour.  The DJs might eventually be charge with making a recording of a phone call without the permission of the other party (then broadcasting it) which is pretty standard law with most countries I would think.

I don’t think mental illness is the only reason people kill themselves. What if someone is in intense physical or emotional pain? Just because someone has emotional pain does not mean they are mentally ill, often times people have very good reasons to feel emotional pain. Or perhaps think of Erwin Rommel, he committed suicide out of pure reason. He avoided trial, received a state funeral, and his family avoided persecution and received all his military benefits. Furthermore, I have not read any evidence saying Saldanha was mentally ill, so that is quite a judgement to make about someone without evidence. From her picture, she looks very put together though maybe a bit too serious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/jacintha-saldanha-dead-hospital-receptionist-kate-middleton-prank-call_n_2257883.html

This article says she was “an excellent nurse and well-respected and popular with all of her colleagues”. That does not sound like someone who is soft or mentally ill to me.

PS: Maybe the husband didn’t tell his sister that his wife had died from suicide because he does not believe she did.

• http://www.mysinchew.com/node/80735

Sister In-Law:“It is hard to believe Jacintha could commit suicide as she was not the type of woman to do it.”

“British media have termed Saldanha’s death a suspected suicide. Police, ahead of an autopsy next week, say it remains unexplained but is not being treated as suspicious.”

So the media says its a suicide, the police say it is unexplained but not suspicious…. now that’s suspicious.

• Blame it on Bush as usual…

• @Imperious:

Blame it on Bush as usual…

Actually IL, I was going to blame you… :lol:

Are you trying to make this a political discussion so you can shut it down?

regardless, I’m guessing you believe there is nothing to see here, just another senseless tragedy. Everybody should be quiet and move along.

• '12

Emperor_Taikim, I should have better qualified my statement that only mentally ill people commit suicide.  If we exclude suicide to relieve extreme pain at end of death, being able to die with dignity and under your terms if for instance you have ALS.  We also exclude cases like Rommel.  I’ve known a number of people who committed suicide, none of them fell under those headings.  If this nurse did commit suicide over the shame of being duped then I would characterize that as an abnormal response.  Abnormal responses to situations most people can deal with is I think nearly by definition a mental illness like depression.  Now as for how the name Bush came into this thread, I have no idea.  I read the article you cited and from what is on this thread from the point in time where I am reading and writing this only one person seems to have brought bush into this thread.  Taikim, my advice for posts from IL is to ignore the trolling.  It would be nice if you could just filter him out completely.

• I’m guessing you believe there is nothing to see here

NO just making the point that this tragedy is not the fault of the people who spoofed the nurse. She had other issues because the reaction is not typical to anybody normal.

People placing fault, blaming Bush is the iconic scapegoat for anything. Not meant to be political.

Now as for how the name Bush came into this thread, I have no idea.  I read the article you cited and from what is on this thread from the point in time where I am reading and writing this only one person seems to have brought bush into this thread.  Taikim, my advice for posts from IL is to ignore the trolling.  It would be nice if you could just filter him out completely.

He doth protest too much. I love how you ‘ignore’ by writing 4 sentences to my 1. Also, his name is Taiki, not “Taikim”

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The funniest thing about IL is he can’t admit when he’s wrong.

He will defend a “Sky is Orange” statement to the death LOL, it’s hilarious, and picking at it drives him to the point of rage/quit frustration, and rule breaking.

The “Blaming Bush” thing for example, is somehow “not” a political statement? The fact BUSH is even mentioned makes it a political - even when it’s satire. :)  You would have no other reason to mention it in this place.

Now, just wait for IL’s retort to this post LOL.

• The funniest thing about IL is he can’t admit when he’s wrong.

He will defend a “Sky is Orange” statement to the death LOL, it’s hilarious, and picking at it drives him to the point of rage/quit frustration, and rule breaking.

The “Blaming Bush” thing for example, is somehow “not” a political statement? The fact BUSH is even mentioned makes it a political - even when it’s satire. Smiley  You would have no other reason to mention it in this place.

Now, just wait for IL’s retort to this post LOL.

He doth protest too much

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

If this nurse did commit suicide over the shame of being duped then I would characterize that as an abnormal response.

I agree. However, I disagree with the thinking: due to Saldanhas alleged mental illness she committed suicide, thereby proving the existence of her mental illness. That is about as circular as they come. No evidence that she was mentally ill has been put forth, therefore any claim that she killed herself over a prank should be viewed with suspicion.

I have no qualms with the DJs, thats freedom of speech. Of course all the media is going to talk about is whether they should be locked up. Forget about any kind of serious investigation into whether Saldanha was mentally ill.

• '12

Taiki, sorry for misspelling your name, tho it seems only trollboy mentioned it.  I won’t delve into the details of Saldanhas.  I was just positing that IF…IF she did commit suicide over this…THEN that was an overreaction.  Now as to a nefarious reason for her death.  My question would be: “Why have her killed over such a minor but embarrassing mistake”?

I think the only reasonable response to IL at this stage is:
    Troll

• Taiki, sorry for misspelling your name, tho it seems only trollboy mentioned it.  I won’t delve into the details of Saldanhas.  I was just positing that IF…IF she did commit suicide over this…THEN that was an overreaction.  Now as to a nefarious reason for her death.  My question would be: “Why have her killed over such a minor but embarrassing mistake”?

I think the only reasonable response to IL at this stage is:
    Troll

LOL @ Troll ( with 3 fingers pointing back to him)

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Now as to a nefarious reason for her death.  My question would be: “Why have her killed over such a minor but embarrassing mistake”?

There is a lot that is unknown about this story, and so there may be many reasons to have her killed. There is little incentive in the media to investigate the truth, most people are content with believing fairy-tales about how an otherwise exceptional nurse killed herself over a prank. Therefore, I doubt it will ever be known by the general public how Saldanha died. My point is that what has become soft is peoples brains. People believe what they are told, even with no evidence.

“in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation.”- Adolf Hitler

If she was killed I agree it is unlikely it was because of the prank, rather the prank was a cover.

• Don’t misquote Hitler. What he actually said was:

“In der gro�en L�ge gibt es immer eine gewisse Kraft an Glaubw�rdigkeit, weil die breite Masse eines Volkes immer mehr leicht besch�digt in den tieferen Schichten ihrer emotionalen Natur als bewusst und freiwillig, und so in der primitiven Einfalt ihres Verstandes sie leichter zum Opfer fallen, um die gro�e L�ge als die kleine L�ge, da sie selbst oft sagen, kleine L�gen in Kleinigkeiten, aber w�rde mich sch�men, im gro�en Ma�stab Unwahrheiten zur�ckgreifen. Es w�rde nie in den Kopf gekommen, um kolossale Unwahrheiten herzustellen, und sie w�rden nicht glauben, dass andere k�nnten die Frechheit haben, die Wahrheit so ber�chtigt verzerren. Auch wenn die Tatsachen, die dies zu erweisen, so kann eindeutig auf ihren K�pfen gebracht werden, werden sie immer noch zweifeln und schwanken und wird weiterhin daran zu glauben, dass es eine andere Erkl�rung geben.”-Adolf Hitler

EDIT: Why can’t A&A.org handle umlauts? :-P

• LMFAO> @ SantaClaus. Nice name and pic

• Did you just translated it 1:1  SC?!…looks like it

bad santa, lol 8-)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Emperor_Taiki:

@MrMalachiCrunch:

Now as to a nefarious reason for her death.  My question would be: “Why have her killed over such a minor but embarrassing mistake”?

There is a lot that is unknown about this story, and so there may be many reasons to have her killed. There is little incentive in the media to investigate the truth, most people are content with believing fairy-tales about how an otherwise exceptional nurse killed herself over a prank. Therefore, I doubt it will ever be known by the general public how Saldanha died. My point is that what has become soft is peoples brains. People believe what they are told, even with no evidence.

“in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation.”- Adolf Hitler

If she was killed I agree it is unlikely it was because of the prank, rather the prank was a cover.

Maybe the Nurse found out that Kate Middleton and Prince William are really Lizard people in disguise.

• or maybe Middleton wasn’t in the hospital for morning sickness, or maybe something else entirely. If you believe that Saldanha killed herself because of a prank, then why not believe in Lizard people? Each belief has equal amounts of evidence, that is none.

If Saldanha killed herself as a result of a mental illness, and this was the “last straw”, then please someone link an article that shows she was mentally ill. So far, I cant find one article with the slightest bit of evidence that she was mentally ill.

• I went looking for an Iron Cross for my dad for Christmas. Thought it would make a great gift for my World War Two fan of a father. It’s difficult to find a Iron Cross with a swastika. It’s banned in many countries. I use this as a example of our world becoming soft with political correctness.

• I hate political correctness.
    Talking of Iron Crosses: two years ago something arrived in the post from Germany addressed to Al(near my birthday). I got so excited thinking she had bought me an Iron(or Knight’s Cross). Turned out it was a German map of Europe from 1941.
    I love it. It is framed (she paid for it) and in our living room.
    One day I will have my medal.
    Hope you get your dad one Worsham.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m