My Axis & Allies 1942 Room…

• Hello all - a spare bedroom opened up in my basement and I’ve converted it into my own war room. � The centerpiece is Imperious Leader’s excellent 1942 map which I downloaded to a zip file and took to a local printer.

First an overall view of the table in the room:

Another view - propaganda posters and newspaper clippings from WWII are framed on the walls:

Next the ceiling: 2 strips of bright studio lights. A historic flag from each major nation in WWII is draped to the corners:

Handmade wood and felt dice rolling trays on both sides of the map keep the dice from hitting other pieces:

Handmade wooden trays for each nation:

This map on the wall is a copy of an actual German invasion map - circa Sept. 1942 - Stalingrad.

The closet was converted into a nook with a 40’s look. I keep all my extra pieces and game parts in the dresser below and the radio plays Cds with 40’s music:

A custom production chart at the head of the table - made of sheet metal with magnetic markers:

My custom battle-boards are double sided “attack” and “defense” to increase size and utility - each side of the table has it’s own that can be flipped over according to the situation:

�

Lastly, to avoid those disastrous game ending spills - everyone has his own cup holder under the table. House rule: no drinks on the table!

I’ve been wanting to something like this for 25 years - finally have the space and a good tolerant wife. Now the guys can play and just walk off and shut the door and it will all be there next time. Thanks again to Imperious Leader for the great map! � � �

• man that’s so frikkin’ awesome. If I had the money and a spare room I’d do something similar…

Happy Gaming!

• This is very impressive work.  I’ve added a link to this post in the “Global Gaming Table Threads and Pictures” thread.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Where is the “Gaming table” thread?

Great work BTW, If I’m ever in IL I want to come by!

• @Gargantua:

Where is the “Gaming table” thread?

It’s one of the stickied topics in the “Other Axis & Allies Variants” section.  Most of the threads it indexes are for Global 1940 tables and war rooms, but there are a few non-Global ones included too.

• Gotta love themed game rooms!  /twothumbsup

• '10

:-o That’s the most impressive game room I’ve ever seen. Nice work!

• Awsome!

• Thanks guys - I enjoy scale models too (no pro at it though) - next I think I’m going to build a 1/48 scale B-29 and hang it between the lights - maybe with “Fatman” falling out of it - it will look huge. lol

• Aw man, that’s frickin sweet!!!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Absolutely beautiful - it must be a special experience for anyone to play in a room like that. It’s very impressive how you re-created an atmosphere that belongs to that era. Even the woodwork, though I’m far from an expert in that field, gives an impression of being from the 1930’s or 1940’s.

I have one little nagging question, though: how many stars are there on your US flag? There’s only a corner of it in the picture, but the rows seem to alternate like they do on modern flags.

• Very nice work indeed, congratulations :)

I was looking at the pieces that you use… seems mainly Classic repainted but I can’t figure out the cruisers, destroyers and artillieries.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

how many stars are there on your US flag

I only have 13 on mine ;).

• @Gargantua:

Is that for a Johnny Reb and Yanks 1862 War Room or for the Continentals and Royals 1776 War Room? ;)

• @Hobbes:

I was looking at the pieces that you use… seems mainly Classic repainted but I can’t figure out the cruisers, destroyers and artillieries.

The pieces are kind of a mix from different game sets - they are more for easy recognition of class than historical. I actually don’t have the 1942 game - only the map.  For now I refuse to pay over a dollar per ship for “official” cruisers, like I’ve seen advertised. Mine cost a nickel each. lol

@Herr:

I have one little nagging question, though: how many stars are there on your US flag? There’s only a corner of it in the picture, but the rows seem to alternate like they do on modern flags.

You know what? You’re right - that US flag is probably modern - I didn’t even think about the stars. Now I’ll have to go looking for a 40’s one!

• @Hobbes:

@Gargantua:

Is that for a Johnny Reb and Yanks 1862 War Room or for the Continentals and Royals 1776 War Room? ;)

Whichever you find more offensive, naturally.  :wink:

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Der:

@Herr:

You know what? You’re right - that US flag is probably modern - I didn’t even think about the stars. Now I’ll have to go looking for a 40’s one!

You’re not alone there. Quite a few movie directors used the modern flag when it should have been the 48 star flag. Just one of my pet peeves.

• wow, just wow!  :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

But a question:

How do you have Artillery, cruisers, and Destroyers? Its the Classic pieces, so how do you have them?

• Customizer

Really nice job on the “Combat Room”.

If you’re going to get another flag you’ll want a 48-Star flag, like here on my I.C.'s to be correct. Again,…great job!

“Tall Paul”

factories1-1.JPG

• @Tall:

Really nice job on the “Combat Room”.

If you’re going to get another flag you’ll want a 48-Star flag, like here on my I.C.'s to be correct. Again,…great job!

“Tall Paul”

Are those Italian pieces I see back there?! :-o (in your pic)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m