• @Gamerman01:

Actually, Cow, I bought a Soviet bomber on R2 the only 2 Alpha3 games I’ve played so far, and both times it got shot down immediately on the first mission, and without doing any damage!  (one SBR, another trying to fend off the Japs and hitting nothing)

But Russia shouldn’t be doing bombing raids with that bomber at all!
    It’s needed for offensive power together with INF & ART (instead of tanks who usually get killed off after they have taken a territory), combined with the superior range, necessary in such a large country.
    For the price of 2 tanks you get a unit that (if used without too much risk) will last many turns.

• Disagree.  Bombing Germany’s forward complexes could be very effective when there are no other good targets.  50/50 chance of maximum 6 damage.  Minimum 3 damage.

• By the way, special forces, the second time my bomber was lost was 2 infantry and bomber vs. 3 forward Japanese infantry.

Round one whiff, he hits once. Round 2 (infantry is dead meat if it retreats anyway) I take the small chance that he won’t hit twice, he hits twice (I hit nothing). I suppose you’ll say I shouldn’t have made the attack, or shouldn’t have gone 2 rounds…

Effective A&A involves taking risks. If you don’t take risks, your opponent will quickly catch on and take advantage of that.

Anyway, we’re in the wrong forum. If we’re going to talk gameplay, we should get in a different thread. :-)

• Yeah i know we were getting off-topic :)

• It’s all Cow’s fault!  :wink:

• TripleA

In order for russia to buy a bomber, it needs to start with 4 more infantry.

• '10

After taking India (and keeping it), Japan takes Wind, then UK takes it back.

Does UK receive IPCs for Wind ?

• No. West India is part of Pacific map in the Alpha set up, so as long as you are not playing OOB, they cannot as they have no capital. They cannot collect Pacific income without India.

• '10

That’s what i thought.

Thanks.

:-)

• Sponsor

Can the United Kingdom land planes in Greece during the first round of the game, if they transport a unit there in the non-combat phase?

• @Young:

Can the United Kingdom land planes in Greece during the first round of the game, if they transport a unit there in the non-combat phase?

It would be just like conquering a new territory, except during the non-combat phase, so I would say no. But don’t hold me to it; I’m just trying to base it off my experience with other AA games.

• Right, no, you can’t.
    You can’t land air in a neutral that you just took, even friendly neutrals.

Note that UK/ANZ CAN land air in a DUTCH territory that they just claimed. This is the only time where you can land air in a territory that you just took control of. (Note also that UK/ANZ can land in Dutch territories without taking control, too.)

• However, I recall one game where we saw bit of a loophole with this (it was the game between me, gargantua, axisplaya, surprise attack and clyde85 versus young grasshopper and members of his Toronto gaming group at FMG last spring).  In that game UK (me) got very lucky in a Taranto raid and then activated Greece in noncombat phase.  I lost a bomber, tac, and cruiser but saved 2 fighters and carrier in z97.  Then Italy attacked and sunk the carrier but the 2 fighters survived to land in UK-controlled Greece.  Lucky again!  That wound up delaying Barbarossa because German forces were drawn South to deal with that instead of going East right away.  It was a great game!

• Thanks for sharing, but that’s not a loophole
    It wasn’t the UK’s turn anymore, so sure, any allied planes can be landed there during Italy’s turn after Greece has been previously activated.

• Under the latest rules, are the USSR and / or USA allowed to declare war on turn 3 or earlier if London falls?

• @Make_It_Round:

Under the latest rules, are the USSR and / or USA allowed to declare war on turn 3 or earlier if London falls?

Yes to both nations.
    @latest:

“The Soviet Union may not declare war on any
    European Axis power before turn four unless first declared war upon by a European Axis power
    or an Axis power captures London.”

and

" If the United States has war declared on it by an Axis power, an Axis power captures London or any
    territory in North America, or Japan makes an unprovoked declaration of war on the UK or
    ANZAC, the United States may declare war on any or all Axis powers."

• Can a transport establish a retreat route?

For example:
    Say Italy has a destroyer in Z92.
    UK controls Gibraltar and has a submarine in Z94.  UK player wants to get the submarine to Z91 to prevent the Italians from sinking the submarine next turn.
    Can the UK send an empty transport to Z92 from Z91 along with the submarine from Z94 to Z92, attack one round, and if the attacking submarine misses, retreat both the submarine and the transport to Z91?

If not, what if the UK sends a loaded transport through the strait to amphibiously assualt Morocco or Algeria from Z92 along with the submarine, goes one round and retreats (land units staying loaded on the transport in Z91)?

Again - can a transport joining an attack at sea establish a retreat route by itself like all other ships can?  Even if empty, or if there is no amphibious assault?

The rules appear to be silent on this issue, which makes me think it’s allowed.  But as long as a transport can enter a naval battle in a combat move with no intent to amphibiously assault, I would guess the answers to my questions are both yes.

• Sponsor

@Vance:

However, I recall one game where we saw bit of a loophole with this (it was the game between me, gargantua, axisplaya, surprise attack and clyde85 versus young grasshopper and members of his Toronto gaming group at FMG last spring).  In that game UK (me) got very lucky in a Taranto raid and then activated Greece in noncombat phase.  I lost a bomber, tac, and cruiser but saved 2 fighters and carrier in z97.  Then Italy attacked and sunk the carrier but the 2 fighters survived to land in UK-controlled Greece.  Lucky again!  That wound up delaying Barbarossa because German forces were drawn South to deal with that instead of going East right away.  It was a great game!

It sucked for me as I was Italy, and pretty much a non-factor all day… The dice Gods cursed me game. Why did you activate Greece turn one? I thought you  landed planes there on your first turn.

• As I remember it, we just got lucky in Taranto and then decided to activate Greece in NCM phase just because we  had the carrier and planes left alive.  We here hoping that you would attack the carrier and just maybe the planes could land there, and as luck would have it that’s what happened.  Then poor Germany had to deal with the mess.

Looking forward to the rematch this Spring!

• Page 30
    Transports:
    Unit Characteristics
    No Combat Value:
    Even though a transport can attack or defend, either alone or with other units, it has a combat value of 0.

Looks to me like a lone empty transport can actually establish a retreat route by itself, but still waiting for word from Krieghund….  thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m