National Advantages for Global 1940

• Customizer

1. Tankograd - In 1940 engineers in the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant began production of Soviet tanks (T-34, SU-152). Due to the rapid establishment of tank construction on a massive scale in 1941, Chelyabinsk gained the nickname Tankograd (‘Tank City’). In 1945 the plant was awarded the Order of Kutuzov, 1st Class, and other honours for its efforts in helping to defeat Nazi Germany. Soviet tanks cost 5 ipcs.

You’re right about the importance of this centre, but I would simply place an IC in Novosibirsk & increase the IPC value.  This allows the Soviets a factory to back up Moscow and Stalingrad (tanks get there in one turn), and also build units within closer range of the Japanese front.

Like the Partisans in Pripet, wonder where you got the idea…

The Soviets, rather than Germany, should start with heavy tanks (KV1).  The Tigers & Panther series were a direct response from Germany to the heavy Russian models which stopped the Panzer IIIs & IVs, and to the greater manoeuvrability of the T-34. The Germans were always playing catch up with Soviet armour.

I would add:

Idealogical warfare.  The USSR and Germany found many people in the territories they fought over willing to join them mainly from an idealogical hatred of the common enemy. The German army had up to 2 million volunteers from the Soviet territories they overran.

Whenever Germany or the USSR capture a tt from each other they gain one free infantry in that tt.

Perhaps even a number of infantry equivalent to the IPC value. This encourages an “active” policy from both sides on this front.

You could give the UK an “armoured carrier” force; CVs which are harder to sink (invulnerable to Kamikaze?)

• @Flashman:

1. Tankograd - In 1940 engineers in the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant began production of Soviet tanks (T-34, SU-152). Due to the rapid establishment of tank construction on a massive scale in 1941, Chelyabinsk gained the nickname Tankograd (‘Tank City’). In 1945 the plant was awarded the Order of Kutuzov, 1st Class, and other honours for its efforts in helping to defeat Nazi Germany. Soviet tanks cost 5 ipcs.

You’re right about the importance of this centre, but I would simply place an IC in Novosibirsk & increase the IPC value.  This allows the Soviets a factory to back up Moscow and Stalingrad (tanks get there in one turn), and also build units within closer range of the Japanese front.

Like the Partisans in Pripet, wonder where you got the idea…

The Soviets, rather than Germany, should start with heavy tanks (KV1).  The Tigers & Panther series were a direct response from Germany to the heavy Russian models which stopped the Panzer IIIs & IVs, and to the greater manoeuvrability of the T-34. The Germans were always playing catch up with Soviet armour.

I would add:

Idealogical warfare.  The USSR and Germany found many people in the territories they fought over willing to join them mainly from an idealogical hatred of the common enemy. The German army had up to 2 million volunteers from the Soviet territories they overran.

Whenever Germany or the USSR capture a tt from each other they gain one free infantry in that tt.

Perhaps even a number of infantry equivalent to the IPC value. This encourages an “active” policy from both sides on this front.

You could give the UK an “armoured carrier” force; CVs which are harder to sink (invulnerable to Kamikaze?)

re: Tankograd - I definitely think that the ipc value of that territory should have been higher on the board.

re: Partisans - I was thinking about that as soon as I saw that the pripyat marshes were finally represented in Axis and Allies. I did get some ideas for NAs from various posters on this forum (or Larry’s), but in this case I was already thinking along those lines before I saw anything on the forum.

re: Soviet Heavy Tanks - yes this is all true and the IS-2 was possibly the best tank of the war, but the German heavy tanks are more iconic in my neck of the woods. Maybe I’ll up the number of potential NAs for the majors from 6 to 12 so that we could add something for Soviet Heavy tanks.

re: ideological warfare - I was thinking about a collaborators NA for Germany along those lines. I know their was some partisans that rose up against the Nazis and cooperated with the Soviets, but I don’t think that the Russians were nearly as successful as the Germans in this regard. Which is surprising given Nazi occupation policies in the east.

re: armored carriers - are you talking about the Illustrious class carriers? Maybe they could ignore one hit/combat if its inflicted by aircraft?

What other stuff would you like to see if I upped the number of potential NAs for UK, USA, USSR, Germany, and Japan to 12 apiece?

• More NAs for UK. All other major countries had historic stand out weapons. But i cant think of any except RADAR for UK , but thats like a technology not a superweapon. Any suggestions?

• Customizer

My Pripet Partisan rules allow any infantry to enter the marsh, but of course without other units the odds are heavily against the attackers. Planes can fly over the marsh but not land in it or attack it.  No rail movement through even if you control it!

Other “semi-impassable” areas I’d consider are:

Alpine Redoubt: between Switzerland and GSG

Amazon: western Brazil

Congo: basically Belgian Congo without the coastline

Maybe a Rocky Mountain Redoubt, and a possible jungle area in the north of Burma/Siam/FIC?

Perhaps a Chinese mountain area; somewhere in the north?

Sahara and Himalayas should be considered too inhospitable to harbour significant resistance.

• Don’t forget the Siberian mountains.
    the great desert in australia.
    The Andes in South America.
    Kalahari desert.
    Desert in saudi arabia.
    Gobi desert.

Oh and The bermuda triangle!  :evil:

• Are you working on some realism rules for A and A global, Flashman? Sounds like interesting stuff. It makes me wish that terrain played some sort of role in axis and allies.

I’ve been brainstorming some additional NAs to bring the total for each of the big 5 to 12. I’ll post the allies today and axis tomorrow (hopefully). If you randomize NAs then allow the player to decide if they wish to take the NA they rolled or if they’d rather add a 6 to that number and take that NA.

As before some are mine and some were ideas that I saw and liked. Please let me know your thoughts.

SOVIET UNION

1. Tankograd - Tankograd helps you replace armor lost in the field. For every two armor that you lose during a single turn, you may place one free armor in Novosibirsk. These units are placed down at the end of the turn, so free armored gained during the german turn will be available during the Russian turn, but armor gained during the russian turn may not be moved until the next round.

2. Katyusha Rockets -  Your artillery have a first-strike ability at an attack factor of 1. Any casualties are destroyed and removed from play, with no chance to counter-attack. This first-strike ability is for the first cycle of combat only and in succeeding cycles of combat, your artillery hit normally.

3. Sharashka – The USSR gets one free tech dice to roll each turn.

4. Not one Step backwards – When the Germans invade a Soviet victory city province(Stalingrad Leningrad, or Moscow) Soviet Infantry defend at a 4 or less for the first round of combat.

5.Partisans – Soviet infantry may enter and pass through the Pripyet marshes. Additionally, Germans must leave at least one ground unit in any soviet starting territory in order to retain control of the province. At the end of the German turn any un-garrisoned province in the USSR’s starting territories will revert to Soviet control. Russia places a free infantry in any provinces liberated by partisans.

6. Heavy Industry – Minor and Major industrial complexes may produce 1 &2 extra units per turn respectively. If you develop the increased factory production technique then they may produce 2 & 5 extra units per turn respectively. Additionally, minor complexes may be built on territories with an ipc value of one and major industrial complexes may be built on territories with an ipc value of 2. Furthermore, you may start the game with one free minor industrial complex that you may place anywhere that you choose.

7. Rasputista - Once per game, during your collect income phase, you may declare the onset of the Rasputista. Until the start of your next turn, neither side’s land units may make combat moves in the Soviet Union’s starting territories.

8. Great Patriotic War - Once per game you may declare a mass conscription during the purchase units phase of your turn. Your infantry have a reduced cost of 2 IPC’s during this turn only, provided that only infantry are bought.

9.  Russian Winter – Once per game, during your collect income phase, you may declare the onset of a severe winter. From now till the end of your next turn, Russian inf defend at a 3 and attack at a 2.If the inf are matched with artillery, then their attack is at 3. No German armor, mechanized infantry. or artillery may move during the winter and, furthermore, German planes are limited to noncombat moves. These modifiers only apply in the soviet union’s original territories.

10. Iosif Stalin tank - Every fourth Soviet tank involved in a single combat is considered to be a heavy tank. These tanks attack and defend at a four for the entire combat. You must have at least four tanks in the battle to field a heavy tank.

11.IL-2 Sturmovik - The attack number of Soviet Tactical Bombers is increased to 5 when paired with a tank.

12. Mobile Industry - Your industrial complexes each may move 1 territory during your noncombat move phase. They cannot move during the combat move phase. If they are captured by an opponent, that opponent cannot move them.

UNITED KINGDOM

1. Joint Strike - Once during the game at the start of a round (before the German turn), you may declare a joint strike. That round, you complete your turn as normal, except you must skip combat move, conduct combat, and noncombat move phases. On those phases of the U.S. turn, the U.S. player uses your units in his or her combat move, conduct combat, and noncombat move phases together with his own units. You and the U.S. player must agree on attacking casualties, or the opposing player gets to choose them. Antiaircraft fire is rolled separately against each nationality of air units; all anti-U.K. dice are rolled before any anti-U.S. die is rolled. National advantages still only apply to the units of the power that gained the development or has the advantage. A joint strike may not be called off once it is declared.

2. Fighter Command - Your fighters on the United Kingdom, Scotland, or Eire may scramble as though the provinces were islands. You still need an airbase on a province in order to scramble planes.

3. Cripps Mission - Once per game, during the British collect income phase, the British player may promise independence for India. India, West India, Burma, and Shan States immediately become neutral countries and any allied pieces in those territories move to the nearest allied controlled province. From that point on the UK’s European and Pacific incomes are combined and a free minor industrial complex is placed on British Columbia. If any of the Indian territories are attacked they receive ten infantry.

4. Chindits - Your infantry may perform attacks for one round and immediately retreat from where they came. Japanese defenders do not fire back. This is only to be used in mainland Asia.

5. Canadian Patriotism - Receive a 2 ipc refund at the end of your turn for every unit (besides infantry) that you built in Canada.

6. Enigma Decoded - Once per game, when Germany finishes its combat move phase but before its conduct combat phase, you may make one special move. You may move any number of your units from an adjacent space into any one friendly space being attacked by Germany. Alternatively, you may move any number of your units from a space being attacked by Germany into an adjacent friendly space, but you must leave at least one unit behind.
    This special move otherwise follows the rules for a noncombat move. If your units survive, they remain in the space to which they were moved.

7. Special Operations Executive -  You may purchase units for anti German liberation movements. Place these units off map and designate which territory that they will operate in. You may continue to build up this force over several turns, but you must spend 1 ipc in upkeep for every unit so supplied. Once you are ready, you may order the commencement of an uprising during your combat movement phase. These units immediately attack the territory that they have been assigned to. You may support underground movements in numerous territories at once, but once you order an uprising you may build no additional units for that territory.
    There are two potential dangers with this. Roll 1d6 at the start of every British turn. On a one, the Germans manage to destroy one of these movements, removing all units that you’ve bought for one territory (the German player chooses which). On a roll of 6, the partisans launch their uprising prematurely and must launch their attack during your combat movement phase (you chooses which territory).

You may fund movements in almost any axis controlled territory on the Europe board. The only exceptions to this are territories with Germany or Italy in their name (ie Germany, West Germany, Greater Southern Germany, Northern Italy, and Southern Italy) and all starting Soviet territories.

8.Illustrious Class Carriers - British aircraft carriers have a chance to ignore a fatal hit. Whenever a British carrier suffers a hit that would kill it you may roll 1d6 to see if it survives. On a roll of 2 or less the carrier survives to fight another turn.

9. Gurkha Regiments - Designate 1 infantry as a Gurkha regiment. Mark it by placing an upside down British roundel under the unit. This unit hits at a 3 or less when defending and at a 2 or less when attacking (3 or less when backed by artillery). Once the unit is lost you may designate a different infantry unit as a Gurkha regiment. You may only have one Gurkha regiment at a time and you may not create new ones if India is neutral or occupied by the axis.

10. The Royal Indian Army Corps of Engineers - British infantry and artillery have a noncombat move of two on mainland Asia. Japanese units may not blitz through British controlled territory on the Asian mainland.

11. Night Bombing Raids - UK bombers may choose to conduct a night bombing raid. The strategic bombing run may not be subjected to the “interceptors” rule but may still be targeted by AA guns as normal. In addition, strategic bombing raids conducted in this way suffer from a -1 penalty to the die roll. This may result in a roll of ‘0’.

12. British Commandos  - Your infantry attacks on a 2 in the first cycle of the land combat portion of an amphibious assault.

USA
    1. Liberty Ships-  Any transports that you purchased are placed at the end of the purchase units phase and thus, are available for use during the combat and noncombat phases of the turn that you purchased them in. Additionally, you receive one free transport to place at the end of the purchase units phase of the US turn.

2. Mechanized Army - Your infantry and artillery have a move of 2 and may blitz when paired with a tank or mechanized infantry. Mechanized infantry may blitz without an attached tank.

3. Marines -Your infantry attacks on a 3 in the first cycle of the land combat portion of an amphibious assault.

4. Arsenal of Democracy - The West Coast territory’s ipc value jumps from 10 ipcs to 50 ipcs once it enters the war. The US may no longer benefit from its +30 ipc national objective. Additionally, the 50 ipcs is considered to be physically present in the West coast, so an axis player that captured the territory would see their income increase by +50 ipcs rather than + 10. Furthermore, the effects of the war bonds tech is doubled, so that you get 2D6 extra ipcs at the end of your turn, rather than 1d6.

5. The Fast Carrier Task Force - Designate one fleet with at least one carrier as The Fast Carrier Task Force. Every vessel in this fleet has a move of three. The number of ships in the fleet is limited by the number of carriers in the fleet. You may bring along either one Battleship or two vessels of any other type for each carrier in the fleet. You may add additional ships to the fleet at anytime as long as there are enough carriers to support the new ships. If the Fast Carrier Task Force is destroyed, you may designate a new fleet as your Fast Carrier Task Force. You may only field 1 Fast Carrier Task Force at a time.

6. Superfortresses - US bombers are immune to anti aircraft fire. They may still be shot down by fighters during strategic bombing raids. Additionally, US bombers take part in the dogfighting phase of strategic bombardments, they hit at a one or less.

7. Codebreakers - Once per turn, when your naval units in one combat situation are defending against the Japanese, you may attempt to use intelligence information to gain the upper hand before combat begins. Roll 1d6. If you get a 3 or less then the defending fleet can attempt to either: A) retreat from combat before any rolls, B) become the attacker even though it is not your turn, or C) bring as many additional fighters into the combat as can reach (and safely land).

8. Combined Bombardment - In an amphibious assault your destroyers in the same sea zone as the offloading transport can conduct shore bombardment, just like battleships. Each destroyer fires once during the opening fire step (using its attack of 2) against enemy land units in the territory being attacked (the enemy units do not fire back). A destroyer cannot conduct shore bombardment if it was involved in a sea combat prior to the amphibious assault.

9. Seabees - American planes may land on island territories that were captured during the American turn. Additionally, Naval bases and air bases cost only 10 ipcs.

10. Mighty Missouri -American Battleships attack and defend at 5 and take 3 hits.

11. American Soft Power - America may use its cultural, industrial, and commercial power to attempt to influence neutrals towards the allied causes. At the start of every turn you may attempt to influence a neutral territory of your choice. Pick a territory and roll 1d6. On a roll of six the territory moves closer to you viewpoint: becoming a pro allied if it is neutral and a neutral territory if it is a pro axis. You may spend 5 ipcs for every additional die that you wish to roll in this attempt but you will always receive one free influence die to roll at the beginning of every turn.

12. Lend Lease - The United States may purchase one unit per turn for each of its allies besides China. If you wish to purchase a unit for an ally you must declare this intention during the purchase units phase of that ally’s turn. The USA pays the cost of the unit plus an additional fee based on the complex where the unit will be placed.
    Purchased units are placed at the end of the players turn and follow the normal rules, ie the USA couldn’t buy the 11th unit for a complex that can only produce 10 units a turn. Axis navies in bordering convoys can prevent the US from using this advantage. The costs and restrictions are as follows:
    Quebec: Cost of unit + 1 ipc
    United Kingdom: Cost of unit + 5 ipcs (seazone 109 must be clear of axis units)
    India: Cost of unit + 10 ipcs (seazone 39 must be clear of Axis units)
    South Africa: Cost of unit + 7 ipcs (seazone 71 must be clear of axis units)
    France and Normandy: Cost of unit + 6 ipcs (seazone 105 must be clear of axis units)
    New South Wales: Cost of unit + 6 ipcs (seazone 62 must be clear of axis units)
    Novgorod: Cost of unit + 7 ipcs (seazone 125 must be clear of axis units)
    Russia: Cost of unit + 10 ipcs (seazone 125 must be clear of axis units)
    Volgograd: Cost of unit + 11 ipcs (seazone 125 must be clear of axis units)

• WOW! Again, these NAs are so awesome. They will add alot of depth to the game.

• 12 is too many, sadly….it just over complicates things…

Also, try to keep the word “National” in mind…dont pick out one of a kind units and honorable examples.

Think of things that these nations did on a national scale…chindits and one trick pony units are neat, but i think some better NAs could take their place.

I will post my revised NAs soon, now that I have played the game a few times…and seen what each power is lacking on the board to represent its historical tendinces better.

6 for each major power
    2 each for the three minor allied powers (a 1-6 chart for just them)

• yes very nice but some NA must be weapons developement not NA.

• american soft power might be to powerful IMHO with a free die roll per turn. i would use it every where to give my allies more money and some inf and convert pro axis neutrals. may be change it so they can buy dice.

• @lnmajor:

More NAs for UK. All other major countries had historic stand out weapons. But i cant think of any except RADAR for UK , but thats like a technology not a superweapon. Any suggestions?

the UK created a lot of weird and wonderful technology during the war, usually finding cheap solutions to difficult problems i.e. the bouncing bomb and the “silly” tanks used on d-day and the subsequent battles in France, such as the mine sweeping tanks with a chain flail in front of them. this could be represented by cheaper tech rolls for the UK

• Two of my Allied tech NAs

(United Kingdom)
    4.  Technology Sharing
    The United States and United Kingdom exchanged technology and techniques that combined to create machines that were more than the sum of their parts. The P-51 Mustang combined a British Engine with an American body and resulted in one of the most survivable and maneuverable fighters of the war.
    During the research and development phase, the UK and US players may re-roll as many dice as the other player has breakthroughs. (If the US has made 3 breakthroughs, the UK may re-roll 3 of its dice, if it elects to roll that many)

(United States)
    2.  Manhattan Project
    The research and development infrastructure of the United States yielded advances as destructive as the Atomic Bomb and as humane as penicillin.
    When rolling for technological breakthroughs, the United States achieves a breakthrough on 5’s as well as 6’s. This can result in two breakthroughs achieved a turn if the US player rolls a 5 and a 6. (But not if a player rolls two of a kind, 5 & 5,6 & 6)

• I am missing WOLFPACKS for Germany  :-(
    Think this advantage could be very useful in AAG40 because of the bigger map scale,
    the number of starting subs and to keep UK-E from their NO as long as possible.

Why don´t you include this ? too powerful ?

GERMAN SCIENTISTS isn´t really a good NA….
    even with using Scientist token you can hardly afford tech-rolls.
    But with choosing this NA you are forced to put your IPC into it.
    At least Scientist token should cost 4IPC (like LHTR2.0) through this advatage and
    I think of Germany starting with one of these three Techs:
    Rockets , Paratrooper or Jet Fighter (roll a die) or starting
    with one or more science token in the starting setup.
    Starting with one of these historical techs would make the free choose of tech after a breaktrough obsolete, but tokens should still cost 4IPC.

GUSTAV LINE is pretty cool, but why did you limited it to North Italy ?
    Gustav Linie was established 100 Km south of Rome to defend mid-italy and protect the Capital. So better would be if this advantage applies to North and South Italy,
    or if you only want it in one territory, it has to be south Italy  :roll:

Like your NA very much, but who needs 6 NAs for ANZAC, France or China  :?

just my 2 cents

• I really like the techs that you came up with danny boy, i really like the seabee’s NA (my grandpa was a seabee in ww2  :-))and the American Soft power NA however I think the mighty missouri NA might be to powerful and I would suggest either making the battleship a three hit unit or hit on five, overall very good though.

• Soviet National Advantages
    1.  Russian Winter
    The Soviet Union’s strongest ally was its climate. General Winter stalled the Germans enough to save Moscow from utter destruction.
    Once during the game in your collect income phase, you can declare a severe winter. Until the end of the next Soviet turn the following applies to Axis units in original Soviet Union territories: Axis land units may not blitz or move 2 spaces, Axis units attack at -1 to their actual value, and all Axis units defend at ‘2’ regardless of their type during winter conditions.

2.  Red Army Conscription
    The Soviet Union’s most valuable asset was its vast manpower reserves, conscription got men to the front lines, but didn’t guarantee success.
    Once per game, during the purchase units phase the Soviet player may declare he is beginning a mass conscription. During this Soviet purchase units phase only, infantry cost only 2 IPCs, provided that only infantry are bought this turn.

3.  Scorched Earth
    In response to the rapid German success on the eastern front, Soviet leaders left desolation as they retreated. The goal was to leave nothing for the Germans to use against the Red Army.
    When you are attacked by an Axis power and more than one round of combat occurred then the attacking Axis power does not collect the IPCs for this territory the turn they capture it. For each further round of combat, you may deal one die of strategic damage to any facility in the territory.

4.  The Great Patriotic War
    With German Army elements at the gates of Moscow, production at other Soviet cities was driven into overdrive to compensate. If the capital fell into enemy hands, the fight was far from over.
    If the Soviet Union has lost Moscow, on its next turn it continues to operate following these rules. The Soviet Union collects income from original territories only. Only infantry may be purchased and, may be placed in any originally controlled territory. Artillery may be purchased at either Leningrad or Stalingrad if controlled by the Soviet Union. Soviet combat moves may only be made within original Soviet territory.

5.  Katyusha Rockets
    The Soviets were able to supplement their artillery with massed batteries of rocket launchers. The sheer volume of fire more than compensated for any lack of accuracy.
    When attacking, Artillery and the infantry they support re-roll any die that fail to hit on the first round of combat.

6.  Trans-Siberian Railway
    The Trans-Siberian Railway ran across the continent of Asia, providing the Soviet Union with unmatched mobility across this vast and rugged terrain.
    In the non-combat move phase, your infantry, antiaircraft guns, and artillery may move 3 territories per turn in either direction among these territories: Russia, Samara, Novosibrisk, Timguska, Yenisey, Yakut S.S.R., Buryatia, Amur.

British National Advantages
    1.  Night Bombing Raids
    Due to their inability to provide fighter cover for their bombers the British used the darkness to their advantage, though this proved detrimental to their accuracy.
    British bombers may choose to conduct a night bombing raid. The strategic bombing run may not be subjected to the “interceptors” rule but may still be targeted by AA guns as normal. In addition, strategic bombing raids conducted in this way do one less damage than was rolled, to a minimum of 1.

2.  Joint Strike
    The most powerful strike of the war was in the joint allied assault on Normandy. The planning required to launch this simultaneous invasion has never been equaled.
    Once during the game at the start of a British turn, you may declare a joint strike. That round, you complete your turn as normal, except you must skip your combat move, and conduct combat phase. You may conduct non-combat moves as normal. On those phases of the U.S. turn, the U.S. Player uses your units in his or her combat move, and conduct combat phases, together with his own units. You and the U.S. player must agree on attacking casualties and on who takes possession of any captured territories, or the opposing player gets to choose. Antiaircraft fire is rolled separately against each nationality of air units; all anti-U.K. dice are rolled before any anti-U.S. die is rolled. A joint strike may not be called off once it is declared.

3.  So Much Owed to So Few
    The Royal Air Force was stretched to the breaking point over the English Channel, having to be three places at once with barley enough fuel and manpower to stay in the fight, but the survival of the nation depended on it.
    Fighters on the United Kingdom territory may scramble as if it was a single island surrounded by a single sea zone. They May also scramble to Scotland if it is attacked. However, because of supply constraints, only one fighter may scramble to any particular combat. (Up to three fighters may scramble, but only if each scrambles to a different battle)

4.  Technology Sharing
    The United States and United Kingdom exchanged technology and techniques that combined to create machines that were more than the sum of their parts. The P-51 Mustang combined a British Engine with an American body and resulted in one of the most survivable and maneuverable fighters of the war.
    During the research and development phase, the UK and US players may re-roll as many dice as the other player has breakthroughs. (If the US has made 3 breakthroughs, the UK may re-roll 3 of its dice, if it elects to roll that many)

5.  The Sun Never Sets on the Empire
    With possessions and territory around the globe the United Kingdom was held together by a chain of bases, each filled with men ready to protect the crown’s holdings.
    The United Kingdom may mobilize one infantry per turn at a port, or victory city that it controls. One infantry may be mobilized in Europe, and one may be mobilized in the Pacific.

6.  The Great Liberation
    The United Kingdom was safe harbor to the exiled governments of multiple nations under axis domination, these oppressed peoples were eager to help the war effort, if given the chance.
    The first time the following territories are captured from the Axis by the Allies, place one UK infantry there: Norway, Denmark, Belgium/Holland, Normandy/Bordeaux, Yugoslavia, Greece, and Poland. If the UK is the power that captures one of these territories, place UK infantry equal to the IPC value of the territory there.

American National Advantages
    1.  Remember Pearl Harbor
    A frequent rallying cry in the United States reflected the critical importance of the naval base at Pearl Harbor. This important location served as a hub for American units on their way deeper into the pacific.
    After the United States is at war with Japan, the US player may place one air, sea or land unit at Hawaii if it is still controlled (or sea zone 26) during its place units phase if there are no axis ships in sea zone 26. You may place an air unit and a sea unit and a land unit.

2.  Manhattan Project
    The research and development infrastructure of the United States yielded advances as destructive as the Atomic Bomb and as humane as penicillin.
    When rolling for technological breakthroughs, the United States achieves a breakthrough on 5’s also. This can result in two breakthroughs achieved a turn if the US player rolls a 5 and a 6.

3.  Marines
    Amphibious assaults were commonplace for American forces, none were better than the troops of the USMC.
    Your infantry attack on a 2 in the first cycle of the land combat portion of an amphibious assault. Even if supported by artillery, their attack remains 2.

4.  Army Corps of Engineers
    Behind the front lines the United States built infrastructure networks that served the G.I.’s in ways they took for granted. Fuel, food and ammunition shortages were rare for the U.S. army all thanks to the network of bases built by the Corps.
    US Industrial complexes, air bases, and naval bases each cost 5 IPCs less. The US player may construct air bases and naval bases on friendly territories if there is a US infantry there.

5.  The Power of the Atom
    The United States was the only power with the facilities capable to produce atomic weapons. Even with this vast infrastructure advantage only a precious few bombs could be produced. These weapons could turn the tide of the war.
    Twice per game, after ten rounds have been played the United States may make two Atomic Attacks; these are conducted by a bomber much like a strategic attack with the following modifications. The bomber does not roll for damage. It may choose to either: Reduce an enemy major industrial complex to a Minor Industrial Complex. Or remove entirely any two of the following: Port, Airbase, or Minor Industrial Complex.

6.  B-29 Super-fortress
    The B-29 was an engineering marvel, more durable than its counterparts of the day.
    American bombers are immune to normal Anti-Aircraft fire from AA guns. Axis powers with the
    “Radar” technology may hit American bombers but only on a roll of a “1”. American bombers can still be intercepted by fighters.

Minor Allied National Advantages
    1. French Foreign Legion
    The tradition of the foreign legion persisted throughout the war; though they had to rely on the support of the other allied powers these soldiers fought the axis valiantly.
    If France does not control its capital then the western allies may purchase units for France. The US and UK players may roll a die during their purchase units phase and spend that much of their IPCs on French land units this turn. The unit(s) is placed in either England or any territory controlled by France that contains at least one allied unit. (Including French)

2. Vive le Resistance!
    Though the French government had capitulated, its populace resisted occupation. Covert actions and clandestine operations harried the German war effort in Western Europe.
    Two facilities controlled by Germany in France (industrial complex, port, and airbase) take one point of strategic damage during the French turn. If a French unit kills an Axis unit during the French turn then roll for how much strategic damage each of these facilities suffers.

3. Tenacious Defense
    ANZAC forces often found themselves in far flung locales, often with little to no support. When alone these forces fought on to the bitter end, knowing they might never see home again spurred them on to acts of true courage.
    If there is only one ANZAC unit present in combat (even with other allied units) then that ANZAC unit requires 2 hits to destroy and defends at +1.

4. Bushwhackers
    The Australian New Zealand corps was made up of tough men who could handle themselves in the outback. So much so that practically every one on the islands was capable of soldiering in at least some capacity.
    ANZAC infantry can be mobilized in any originally controlled ANZAC territory with an IPC value. The first time Japan attacks an ANZAC territory with an IPC value, place that many ANZAC infantry there.

5. Unforgiving Wilderness
    China in the 1930’s and 40’s was hardly mapped, let alone industrialized. Japanese forces found it difficult to get deep into china without getting bogged down.
    Axis tanks may not blitz in China, they may still move 2 spaces normally. Only two axis aircraft can land in a Chinese territory that is worth only 1 IPC.

6. Peasant Army
    The Chinese military was not a professional army and even divisions would evaporate when attacked by a superior force. These divisions were still there of course, no longer defending the front lines but defending their homes.
    After a round of defensive combat, Chinese forces may choose to disperse. At the end of a round, if Chinese infantry remain, one may be converted back into IPCs. This can be done each round as long as there are Chinese infantry present.

• German National Advantages
    1. V-1 Rockets
    The V-1 or Vengeance rocket was Germany’s answer to allied bombing. An unmanned flying bomb was a terrifying new concept and it struck fear in the English. This served as a precursor to the even deadlier V-2 Rocket.
    German controlled air bases may serve as launch points for V-1 rockets. They fire exactly the same as the rockets breakthrough however they may be intercepted or targeted by AA. Factories targeted by V-1 Rockets may also be targeted by the Rockets technological breakthrough.

2.  Atlantic Wall
    Stretching from Bordeaux to Denmark and even to Norway the German Military made use of extensive defensive fortifications to keep the western allies off the continent.
    During any amphibious assault your Infantry and Artillery defend on a ‘3’ during the first round of combat. Also, Germany gets a free AA Gun in any territory it controls during Setup.

3.  Panzer Blitz
    The Panzer corps was one of the most feared forces of the war, primarily for its mobility and efficiency.
    If your attacking forces destroy all defending units in a territory in one cycle of combat; or, if no combat was necessary, any surviving tanks (and escorted mechanized infantry) may make a further move of one space AFTER all other combats have been completed. This move includes moving backwards, or attacking a new territory. The second territory being attacked may not contain a victory city. These units may only make one additional move.

4.  Wolf Packs
    German U-Boats were trained to act autonomously, often without support from the Kriegsmarine, these German sub captains were regarded as mavericks by some, and pirates by others.
    German submarines in open water may move 3 spaces without a port, however they do not fire on the first round if they make an attack.

5.  German 88’s
    The 88’ was an almost perfect anti-aircraft gun, but it found a more fulfilling role pointed towards the horizon, annihilating allied tanks from distances thought impossible at the time.
    Rolls of ‘1’ from German artillery must be assigned to enemy armor if present. On originally controlled German territory, rolls of ‘2’ are also assigned to enemy armor if present.

6.  German Scientists
    Germany prided itself on being the most technologically advanced army at the start of the war. It was in their interest to see this trend continue into the latter stages of the war.
    German tech rolls always cost 4. Germany may make targeted tech rolls at a cost of 8 per roll.

Japanese National Advantages
    1.  Tokyo Express
    Japanese commanders frequently used destroyer convoys to ferry troops to the front lines, this was nicknamed the ‘Tokyo Express’ by American Troops.
    Each of your destroyers may act as a transport for one infantry. These destroyers follow the same rules for loading and offloading units as transports do. Destroyers that transport may participate in combat that round

2.  Zero Aces
    Japanese pilots had been at war in China for almost 5 years gaining valuable experience; along with the “zero” this proved to be a deadly combination. However, as the war dragged on and pilots were lost the experience went with them.
    Set aside any six of fighters of your choice during set up and place them with suitable markers beneath. (Kamikaze tokens or national control markers beneath should suffice). These six fighters operate exactly as normal fighters; however they re-roll misses when attacking and defending. Zero Aces can not be replaced, once they’re gone, they’re gone.

3.  Super Battleships
    Japan’s Battleships were the largest and most powerful ever constructed. Coated from bow to stern with heavy guns, these ships made short work of enemy vessels.
    When attacking or defending Japanese battleships may choose to fire normally at ‘4’ or make a broadside attack. Each battleship rolls two dice that hit on ‘3’ or less. Damaged battleships may not elect to fire broadside. Battleships may also fire broadside when conducting shore bombardment.

4.  Long Lance Torpedoes
    Japanese torpedoes packed more of a punch than their allied counterparts and had longer range as well. The threat of a Japanese torpedo attack was an ever present danger; allied sailors learned well that Japan was deadly below the waves as well as above.
    If a Japanese submarine hits on the first round, it gets to take another shot. Destroyer “Anti-Submarine vessel” does not effect this submarines first or second shot.

5.  Dug-In Defenders
    Japanese forces garrisoned on islands opted to die fighting rather than surrender; this exacted a heavy toll on the invading Allied forces.
    All your infantry on islands defend on a 3 for the first round of combat. On originally controlled islands they defend at 3 during all rounds.

6.  Banzai Attacks
    A frequent battle-cry of attacking Japanese troops was ‘Banzai!’ meaning ‘May you live for 10,000 years’.
    When you move only infantry into a contested space during the combat move phase, you may at that time declare the intended attack to be a banzai attack (for an amphibious assault you may also include offshore bombardment support). If you do so, all those infantry attack on a 2 for the first round only. You may not withdraw from any banzai attack, regardless of whether it is amphibious or not.

Italian National Advantages
    1. Light Tanks
    Italy’s tanks were not on the same level as the modern armor of other nations, however this reduced capability came with a reduced cost.
    Italian tanks have a reduced cost of 5 IPCs; however their defense is reduced to ‘2’ if the attacking force contains tanks.

2. Axis Allies
    Diplomats had approached Spain on the issue of joining the war but were met with reluctance. Had luck favored the axis slightly more, Spain may have entered into the axis willingly.
    Italy and Germany treat Spain as an Axis Friendly Neutral as long as they are fulfilling the requirements of at least one national objective. If both Germany and Italy fulfill the requirements of two national objectives, Spain, when annexed, also contains a fighter, tank, and minor factory.

3. Axis Cooperation
    Though Italy was looked upon as a junior partner in the axis, in the Mediterranean Italy was the leader, sometimes to the chagrin of the Germans of the Afrika Corps.
    German and Italian units may disembark from friendly transports during either powers non-combat move phase as long as they are in the Mediterranean. Also, Germany and Italy can mobilize one unit at one of the other powers factories during the place units phase.

4. Strike Cruisers
    Italy’s large navy was supported by only a few naval bases, the cruisers in the fleet were built with endurance in mind.
    Italian cruisers do not need to begin their turn at a friendly port to move +1, they need only to pass through or end their turn in a sea zone supported by a friendly naval base. Italian cruisers may also escort a ship of lesser value at 1:1 that can accompany it during this move. (This move may include moving 3 to a friendly naval base from open water)

5. Italian Frogmen
    The Italian navy was notorious for launching frogmen attacks on allied ships in port. Though they rarely sent ships to the bottom of the ocean, they created panic and disorder at allied naval bases.
    If Italy has an operational port it may launch frogmen attacks once per turn during its purchase units phase. Choose an enemy port in the Mediterranean (Bordering SZ 92-99 only) and roll a die. 1, 2, or 3 is dealt in strategic damage. 4, 5, and 6 damages a ship if present. A battleship or aircraft carrier becomes damaged (allied player(s) choose which ship). Or if no battleship or carrier is present, then one other surface warship follows is treated as a transport during the Italian turn. (No defense value, last casualty allocated, etc.)

6. Live to Fight another Day
    The Italian military often found itself outclassed when attacking entrenched allied forces, this stemmed from the lack of initiative on the part of the average Italian soldier; this sense of self preservation had some benefits.
    Once per game during the Italian turn, after attacks are declared and combat begins the Italian player may choose to, after the first round of combat ends and casualties have been allocated for both sides, return all casualties (friend and foe!) to the game board and immediately conduct a retreat as normal. Units taken as casualties from anti-aircraft fire, or submarine “first strike” may not be returned to the game board and are removed as normal. This ability may not be used in a combat involving paratroopers or an amphibious invasion.

• here is a good NA I found for the USSR:

• Guard Tank Regiments: The Soviet Union used heavy tank regiments as guards of Moscow. These were elite tank formations, invulnerable to any standard anti-tank weapons available of that time.
      Your tanks in cities (Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad) defend on a 4

• @dannyboy2016

Why is there not an italic font for the Italian national advantages explaining their historical context? Also, please add your 12 planned national advantages for each of the Axis powers you never posted along with the italic font explaining their historical context of each of these (maybe you finished it, but forgot to publish it?

• @superbattleshipyamato123

Welcome to the forum.

Please don’t dig out and resurrect 11 years old and outdated topics addressing people that haven’t been online for more than eight years.

See our Forum Rules please.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m