• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

Ya I can deal with this. Without checking history I or your saying a naval fig is better at a DF then a regular fig I’m assuming.
    Tac and Dive I can go to DF@2 but in balanced mod there is only a DF for SBR only ? Not a mandatory DF first round combat before regular combat ?

Click on the heart at bottom right of page if you like the posts.

• @SS-GEN said in Global War 1940 2nd ed.:

heh heh.yea maybe djensen should offer a broken heart for down posts lol :)

• The so called naval fighter should specialize in targeted attacks against naval targets, like a land based fighter should be able to target land units

During the opening combat phase, fighters should round by round fight each other only and when one side has fighters, that side should be able to choose land or sea targets.

I would further shorten the name to just dive bomber for naval and fighter-Bomber for land. Further, i like having the cost be the same as per Baron.

So on land:

Fighter
    Fighter-Bomber
    Strategic Bomber

On Sea
    Fighter
    Dive Bomber

• '17 '16

@SS-GEN said in Global War 1940 2nd ed.:

Ya I can deal with this. Without checking history I or your saying a naval fig is better at a DF then a regular fig I’m assuming.
    Tac and Dive I can go to DF@2 but in balanced mod there is only a DF for SBR only ? Not a mandatory DF first round combat before regular combat ?

For game purpose and creative variants of similar aircraft. I have no way of telling which type was more effective in a defensive dogfight…
    True for balanced Mode values are only for SBR.

• @Imperious-Leader said in Global War 1940 2nd ed.:

The so called naval fighter should specialize in targeted attacks against naval targets, like a land based fighter should be able to target land units

During the opening combat phase, fighters should round by round fight each other only and when one side has fighters, that side should be able to choose land or sea targets.

I would further shorten the name to just dive bomber for naval and fighter-Bomber for land. Further, i like having the cost be the same as per Baron.

So on land:

Fighter
    Fighter-Bomber
    Strategic Bomber

On Sea
    Fighter
    Dive Bomber

Ya well most guys won’t play this way. There so used to playing no DF round if anything.
    I know where your coming from but that would change the whole game up to much as of now.
    I’m assuming your saying planes attack each other per round of combat only until one side has no planes left for air superiority or is it all planes do there combat rounds first then it’s first round of normal combat with one side having air superiority ?
    Then if anything the cost of planes would need to go to 5 or 6.
    The air superiority is not going to work in these games based on setup and players imo.
    Not every plane was shooting at each other in battles. At least I have a mandatory DF round for every type of battle. Could I go to 2 rounds of DF maybe ? Possible. But now we also have ships getting AA shots at planes. Just think it would make the plane almost obsolete in most battles. I see the point if it’s historical which my game is based on mostly and not the real outcome of ww2 as for allies winning but at least the pieces and many many small worth scenarios that happened in war without throwing off balance.

Also now planes all cost the same. The old way was based on no CR BB Carrier Attack AA guns and the Tac and Gr fig able to M5 and D7.
    50/50 chance the C of planes go to 9 if the 2 games we play June 15-16 show to many planes destroyed and will add more to setup.
    Why not have it like ships.
    Half the ships defend amphibious assault for shore shot and other half of ships attack enemy ships in same sz.
    So for the planes have half your planes doing a DF every round and other half doing ground or naval support attacks.
    Then when you lose all your planes in the DF you have the option of pulling a plane or 2 from ground or naval support and keep the Enemy DF planes from attacking then next round against your ground or navy ?

• Planes fight concurrently with other units but separate until only one side has planes. Not the case that you resolve all plane combat then land combat. That way you can still retreat then to watch your air force get chewed up.

• @Imperious-Leader said in Global War 1940 2nd ed.:

Planes fight concurrently with other units but separate until only one side has planes. Not the case that you resolve all plane combat then land combat. That way you can still retreat then to watch your air force get chewed up.

Ya but funny how this concept is not any aa games. Maybe 36 and I’m sure a few personal games.

• '17 '16

@SS-GEN said in Global War 1940 2nd ed.:

@Imperious-Leader said in Global War 1940 2nd ed.:

Planes fight concurrently with other units but separate until only one side has planes. Not the case that you resolve all plane combat then land combat. That way you can still retreat then to watch your air force get chewed up.

Ya but funny how this concept is not any aa games. Maybe 36 and I’m sure a few personal games.

That is essentially what I’m playing with Fighters at lower cost. It works well.

But, with the new idea of rolling 2 dice for a given unit, I can think of TcB rolling both against aircraft and ground units. Of course, TcB would get a minimal roll vs aircraft while picking ground target at an higher rate.

For instance, using D12, my C8 TcB can be AA@1 and Pickground@4 while Fighter C7 can roll two AA@2 or 1AA@4 until there is no available target then apply roll as usual.

For your game SS, I can think of a Fg doing AA@3 with a regular roll @2 on attack and @4 on defense.

• Ya I got ideas to for planes.
    Tac @1 plane or @6 ground
    Fig AD@3 plane or D@7 ground

Without adding any planes at a cheaper cost, lowered AD could go with no DF
    Tac AD@2 blue dice Plane hit
    AD @5 red dice pic ground or ship
    Fig AD@3 blue dice plane hit
    AD@4 red dice pic ground or ship

Ya I got ideas to for planes.
    Tac @1 plane or @6 ground
    Fig AD@3 plane or D@7 ground

Without adding any planes at a cheaper cost, lowered AD could go with no DF
    Tac AD@2 blue dice Plane hit
    AD @5 red dice pic ground or ship
    Fig AD@3 blue dice plane hit
    AD@4 red dice pic ground or ship

Exactly!
    Giving 2 dice means no need to have a dogfight phase.
    Each regular combat round is played at 2 level air and naval or land battles.

Now, if all aircraft and major warships are playing on these two level, you need to balance them and specialized each unit according to a different purpose.

HEY ! Lol
    You don’t like my plane numbers ? Just was using as an example.
    Ya I would need to really test this out. If I can will try to get some group players to try in a few months. At least the ships will be tested in 2 weeks for 2 games if I get all show ups hopefully.

Might as well do the planes lower costs with AD values. Plus add planes to setup too.
    Would like to try planes with what costs I have in game now maybe ? Or just go for it all

This is what I have for ships for next games.
    The plane numbers will not be used yet. Tweaking those as of now. Each ship and plane piece rolls 2 dice with different colors.
    D12 system
    BB C15 AD@3 plane & AD@6 ship
    1 damage AD@3 Plane & AD@4 ship
    CR C10 AD@3 plane & AD@5 ship
    AC C15 D@3 plane only. 1 dam D@2 plane only
    EC C8 D@3 plane only

Tac C10 A@1 plane & A@5 pick target
    D@1 plane & D@4 pick target
    Dive C10 A@1 plane & A@5 pick target
    D@1 plane & D@4 pick target
    Fig C10 A@2 plane & A@4 ship or ground
    D@2 plane & D@5 ship or ground
    N Fig C10 A@2 plane & A@3 ship or ground
    D@2 plane & D@5 ship or ground

Ok. There is no dog fighting now. So each plane gets a plane shot. I kept the number 1 less to see if it’s ok. Worried about over kill and have not added any planes to setup.
    These are just a starting point if I don’t go with another idea with cheaper plane values and added to setup.
    That be the next set of numbers to come up with in a bit. I’m sure baron is looking into his numbers.

• '17 '16

@SS-GEN
    I like that warship are @3 AA, Fg @2 AA and TcB @1.
    Easy to remember.

With two dice it is almost same odds than 1 dice, treating “2” or less as hit on aircraft and higher scored hits treated as usual.

Now the question is whether or not the two dice mechanic is giving a good pace and a nice flavor to your game.

I’m ok with your numbers, mostly 8.33%, 16,7% or 25% is keeping things in check with minimal values.

Assuming this for your next game, what can be your AAgun values and mechanic?

What do you mean by my AA gun values and mechanics ?

I think your saying this ? I will make all pieces just add the 2 dice numbers to one dice number if there is only one side without planes or both sides without planes. Plus SBR DF same for 1 round only.
    Remember in all battles all A and D planes can retreat after 1 round of combat.
    SBR. 1 round only for now.
    These pieces now only roll 1 dice
    Tac AD@1
    Fig AD@3
    N fig AD@3
    N Dive AD@1
    Stg B AD@1
    H Bom AD@2

One side or no side with planes
    Tac A@6 D@5 pick target
    Fig A@6 D@7
    N Fig A@5 D@7
    N Di. A@6 D@5 pick target

Ships only
    BB AD@9 1 dam AD@6
    CR AD@8
    AC D@3 plane only 1 dam D@2 plane only
    EC D@3 plane only
    Now I just added the pieces aa and ad values
    But I also can go with just there non plane aa shots for ships and go with this due to the BB and CR having less turrets for ships because of AA capabilities.
    BB AD@6 1 dam @4
    CR AD@5
    Planes wouldn’t change due to focusing on ground or sea units.
    These also can go to lower AD values but don’t think plane guns take up that much room.

What do you mean by my AA gun values and mechanics ?

Don’t you have an Anti-Aircraft Artillery unit?
    Moving 1
    Cost ?
    Attack?
    Defense roll @1 vs up to 3 aircraft?
    No return shot?

• AA gun
    C5 M1 D@2 at each plane

AA gun
    C5 M1 D@2 at each plane

Each round?
    Return shot for plane?