Another dimension - Defender Retreats

• I think if you did wish to have such a rule, the simplest way to have it work is at the beginning of any follow up combat round, any defending unit may forgo any attacks and elect to retreat; they will still suffer attacks and casualties for that final round. During non-combat they then move to an adjacent friendly territory, if there are none, they are eliminated.

This makes it so that retreating isn’t free; there has to be some downside to it.

• I’ve seen that rule too. Nothing like shooting them in the back.

• @insanehoshi I agree, though I think you should retreat to a adjacent non embattled territory immediately. This would be very interesting for Blitzing, as one could retreat to get a better shot at the tanks.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

Well my suggestion is not free either. Why would I retreat when I have a chance to die without getting off a shot. The not free for defender is he can’t retreat mostly. The randomness is based on a combinations of issues where both sides are forced to have a retreat or 2 pieces.
    I’ve play tested many things so just saying. If other way works better then more than welcome to see test results.

This is an edit. I went back to double check rule. So any unit that has to retreat does not get a defending shot or the attacker does not get a attacking shot on retreating units.
    Yes to nones reply with certain numbers rolled.
    There is certain numbers for all countries and pro neutrals for retreats.

• @trig I think “immediately” causes some considerations:

• you would have to consider a stack of units retreating to another territory and fighting there?
    • Would they then be able to retreat again?

It would add some complexity.

• @insanehoshi said in Another dimension - Defender Retreats:

@trig I think “immediately” causes some considerations:

• you would have to consider a stack of units retreating to another territory and fighting there?
    • Would they then be able to retreat again?

It would add some complexity.

Ya but shouldn’t get to fight again after retreat.

• @gen-manstein

Using the only AA style game that actually has used Defender Retreats ( i would say successfully since 1990) Would be The War Game: World War Two has it like this:

The attacker first declares which of his original attacking units for be used for the current round

The defender than declares which of his units want to retreat:

1. Units remaining as defenders roll as usual
    2. Units retreating do not fire in the upcoming combat round

If the attacker hits units beyond those of which are staying in combat, excess hits are allocated against those retreating units.

• @imperious-leader said in Another dimension - Defender Retreats:

@gen-manstein

Using the only AA style game that actually has used Defender Retreats ( i would say successfully since 1990) Would be The War Game: World War Two has it like this:

The attacker first declares which of his original attacking units for be used for the current round

The defender than declares which of his units want to retreat:

1. Units remaining as defenders roll as usual
    2. Units retreating do not fire in the upcoming combat round

If the attacker hits units beyond those of which are staying in combat, excess hits are allocated against those retreating units.

That sounds fair.
    Thanks I like that for defending planes retreating on battles.

• @insanehoshi
    It can, but I would say that immediately is better than waiting and holding to troops in limbo. They just have to retreat to a territory where a battle is not occuring. This means they could get hit by blitzes, but I think that is reasonable. I also prefer voluntary retreat as it should be an option, not a necessity, and you should pick whether to fight with your heavy hitters, or run and possibly die without taking anything with you. As an attack, it forces you to bring more force to try and decisively beat your enemy before they can run.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m