• Hi all

I have just purchased Europe & Pacific 1940 2nd editions and I am preempting the inevitable piece run out during game play. Are there any other editions aside from the 1st editions of the aforementioned that have the same pieces or at least very similar. I really only foresee the main powers possibly running out.

I am aware of HGB and marshal and I may purchase some items from them, however I would prefer originals.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

You might try just augmenting it with the regular 1942.2 game, gives you most of what you need for the big 5, since most of the sculpts are the same. You’ll be down a few Tac Bombers and such, but at least you’ll have plenty of fighters and tanks. 1941 has some nice sculpts too, though they’re different and you only get a handful.  Its cool just to grab it for the warhawks and tigers, since the box is fairly cheap. AA50 had the best US fighters, but hard to find it now. You might find some recast mustangs on hbg,  if you prefer them for your American carriers.  Italy and Anzac don’t usually run out of pieces. It’s mainly Japan and USA, or G and UK to a lesser extent that end up needing tanks or art, fighters or transports, destroyers etc. Usually manage alright with chips for the mech and Tac Bs.

• Thanks for the advice. Short of buying 2X global, 42.2 seems like a great option. My main concern was piece size/colour and similar unit types. Your suggestion seems to cover all those.

Cheers

• You could also toss in one or two copies of A&A 1941, which is fairly inexpensive.  The colours match the ones in Global, and you’ll get some alternate designs for the non-infantry units that are provided in the game.  One nice thing about 1941 is that it plugs two gaps that exist in the second edition of Global: it provides Britain with a distinctive British naval transport and Russia with a distinctive Russian aircraft carrier, which are both lacking in Global/2.

• @Black_Elk:

1941 has some nice sculpts too, though they’re different and you only get a handful.  Its cool just to grab it for the warhawks and tigers, since the box is fairly cheap.

Yes, and the P-40 Warhawk from 1941 is perfectly suited to providing China with its single fighter because that’s the plane the Flying Tigers used.

• You might be better off just buying the pieces from HBG then the whole games if you’re not going to play them. That way you can just buy the pieces you want/need.  Also HBG’s Tiger tanks are much more detailed then the 1941 version.

• I think buying 1941, if it still costs so little, is definitely the best idea.
    You will have the DDs and TTs you always need. As Marc says, there are a few units particular to this game too. You get 6 Tigers (12 if you include the ones coloured Japanese) and 6 Joseph Stalins. (Probably need the Russian tanks less than the extra German ones, but you never know.)There are also some Lancaster bombers  and 190s. Always useful having German Fts.
    Of course, no mech or Art. That is the trade off.

Ike, your point is valid. That said, not sure how many pieces you can get from HBG (great company) for the price of 1941 though. Would it be 3 sets or 4?

• I like the 41 idea. It may come down to sale price atm. I may purchase a few HBG to try them out. Great to know that 42.2 and 41 are both possibilities.

Thanks for all your help.

• Just a follow-up.

I decided to purchase 1942 2nd ed based on responses and primarily the piece number.

With Global 1940 2nd + 1942 2nd, I believe I have the requirements for Anniversary too which I am excited about getting around to one day.

• Enjoy your games and welcome to the (Mad) Collectors Club.

• @wittmann:

Enjoy your games and welcome to the (Mad) Collectors Club.

Also known as the Honourable Order of Piece Junkies.

• @CWO:

@wittmann:

Enjoy your games and welcome to the (Mad) Collectors Club.

Also known as the Honourable Order of Piece Junkies.

Thanks

Now I impatiently wait for 3 parcels to arrive.

• I wanted to get a fighter and a few artillary for china in the 1940 2nd ed color. Tired of american and chinese forces getting mixed up on the board. Anyone know what version/independent sculpter has the exact color match?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

One thing Black Elk originally put me on to was getting the usual tackle boxes/clear cases from walmart and putting all the pieces in there by TYPE.  So all the Axis tanks go together, and so forth.  If you bought a couple of versions, you could dump them all in one box (by team etc.) and then use those organizers to set up every version, not just your favorite.    The normal box is a fairly bulky way to transport the game (more of a concern at Gencon where you are not near the car), but this way, it can go in a soft sided bag with just the boards, or a roll-upable version of the same.

And AA50 is about to be reprinted, so if you hold off (or heap on!), that could be one way to do it, though you are going to have different molds, colors, plastic hardnesses etc, which is also cool.

• Yeah, HGB is a great site for extra pieces. I bought some artillery and the original fighter for China and just painted them Chinese colors so they didn’t have to borrow US pieces.

• Ok, here is the deal. 1940 does lack when it comes to the counter chits. IF you have a older edition of ANY edition of Axis and Allies this will never be a problem.

Then again, if Russia has a 60+ stack (chits) of INF and Germany is sitting on a 40+ Stack (chits) of Mech/ARM and no one is attacking each other.

WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?

Bottom line for me….the game has more than enough chits to play the game in less you just sit around and turtle, building massive stacks of troops doing nothing.

• '19 '17 '16

@vruntson:

Just a follow-up.

I decided to purchase 1942 2nd ed based on responses and primarily the piece number.

With Global 1940 2nd + 1942 2nd, I believe I have the requirements for Anniversary too which I am excited about getting around to one day.

Good call. Japanese artillery is the real killer in my experience. Only about 6-8 pieces, WTF? Buying 1941 wouldn’t have helped with that.

Everything else is pretty likely to be fine, although I agree about the Chinese artillery and fighter being confused with USA pieces if USA ever gets on Asia.

German tanks and artillery are probably next in line.

@PainState:

Ok, here is the deal. 1940 does lack when it comes to the counter chits. IF you have a older edition of ANY edition of Axis and Allies this will never be a problem.

Then again, if Russia has a 60+ stack (chits) of INF and Germany is sitting on a 40+ Stack (chits) of Mech/ARM and no one is attacking each other.

WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?

Bottom line for me….the game has more than enough chits to play the game in less you just sit around and turtle, building massive stacks of troops doing nothing.

Well on Triple-A stacks tend to be even larger. I don’t think that’s a problem of poor play. Moscow in particular can get over 80 inf.

@ShadowHAwk:

We hardly run out of pieces except maby italian art and even that we can solve.

Use chips, use the green chips as 10 and your sorted unless you really want to spread your forces all over the board in which case your opponent can just smash them with ease and you got them back to buy them again.

I would keep the greens at 3. We use 10c pieces for 10 units. I guess we’d go to 20c (which they don’t have in USA - 25c) if needed. In your case it probably won’t be needed. Huge numbers of reds, normally 5 units.

• I like the chips from 1942 better, they’re a little smaller. So I bought blue’s from HBG (which I believe come with 1914) and use those as 2.  So my setup is:

Gray 1
    Blue 2
    Green 3
    Red 5

Also picked up their air base and naval base markers which really pop on the board.

• My group usually uses control markers for 10, especially in stacks that won’t be splitting up anytime soon (like in Moscow)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m