VIDEO: Grasshopper's G40 Custom Table

• Sponsor

Friends enjoying a game…

friends9.jpg

• Very nice!  I like the concept of each player having a national “headquarters”.

A question: what are those beads on rod sthat look a bit like an abacus?  Are they used to track something?

• Sponsor

Yes, and even though each nation gets their own “area”, it is still very much a move around table.

Yes, it is an abacus, 4 of them to be exact. 2 at each end, 1 for attacker, 1 for defender, and 12 beads each to count casualties.

• Been there, though it was to play WW2 Miniatures (Rules of Engagement).

It’s a very nice little setup the Young Grasshopper has going on there with surprisingly ample space to move around such a small(ish) room!

• Sponsor

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

Been there, though it was to play WW2 Miniatures (Rules of Engagement).

It’s a very nice little setup the Young Grasshopper has going on there with surprisingly ample space to move around such a small(ish) room!

Thanks IWNGU, and I will definitely be showing off my ROE table here with a youtube video as well. It is a small room, but like you said… it’s incredible how comfortable it is moving around for such limited space.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Cozy, and very bunker-like. Great place YG. Especially love the beverage and food corner.

• Very nice work YG! Just beautiful.

I have been planning a similar war table in my mind for a while now, just haven’t quite had the time - yet. I am curious, how did you create the custom map, with the battle board and charts built in, as a single board (hence no creases etc)? Would very much like to print out a similar board as I hate the creases of the OOB boards.

I assume you have a custom file on computer, but how/where do you print such a thing?

Would love to know a few secrets. :)

• Sorry for the naive question, I found the thread I was looking for.

Was there ever a youtube video made?

• Sponsor

@Rammstein:

Sorry for the naive question, I found the thread I was looking for.

Was there ever a youtube video made?

No problem, I should get around to making the video this weekend, check back on this thread for an update early next week.

Cheers.

• '14 '13

Table looks great. I am thinking of “borrowing” your idea of the casualty counter beads by my dice rolling corner.

• Sponsor

@jluna1273:

Table looks great. I am thinking of “borrowing” your idea of the casualty counter beads by my dice rolling corner.

They’re very popular, and constantly being used allowing our players to concentrate on casualty removal strategies instead of remembering who hit what. I made mine from scratch and it wasn’t easy, but if you put the work into it or can find some to buy complete… you won’t regret it.

• Looks like a Great place to ‘waste’ a weekend!  :wink:

• Sponsor

@BulwFi:

Looks like a Great place to ‘waste’ a weekend!  :wink:

I wish… however, we usually finish in a 10 hour day.

• Awesome Grasshopper. Very well setup. Like your NA and Tech cards. I do have events cards and I will make cards for NA and Tech now too. Thanks for all your info.

• Sponsor

@SS:

Awesome Grasshopper. Very well setup. Like your NA and Tech cards. I do have events cards and I will make cards for NA and Tech now too. Thanks for all your info.

Thanks SS, …and I know what you mean, there’s something about playing with laminated cards that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

• Customizer

YG this video was really great and the table and extras look fantastic!

• Sponsor

@toblerone77:

YG this video was really great and the table and extras look fantastic!

Thank you very much toblerone!

• I’ve just finished watching the video and I greatly enjoyed it – an excellent presentation of a first-rate custom table.  It brought out the fact that your set-up has even more special features than is visible from the still photographs, for example:

• Clickers to indicate the status of combat and non-combat moves

• An auxiliary HQ for the US player

• Lots of handy-sized laminated custom cards, with a roomy tray in which to store them

• A groove in which victory city tokens can be placed (and moved) to track which side controls how many of them at any given time

• A slot for a laminated copy of the rulebook

It’s clear that a lot of thought and planning and gaming experience went into that table, and the results really show.  Well done!

• Sponsor

Thanks CWO Marc,

I always knew that I would make a video eventually just for that reason alone (can’t capture everything in stills). This table took about 3 years to build, including an inferior prototype table that I eventually replaced when I built the higher quality, and better designed 2nd table featured in the video. Many ideas were implemented and tested over the years with playability in mind, and everything was designed to make the game experience easier for players, especially newbies. As a host, the best feature for me is how after 10 hours of playing, the room pretty much looks the same as when we started (except for the beer bottles, pop cans, and pizza boxes). Everything needed to play the game, as well as all the extra customized elements have their own place on the table. A big difference from when we first stated playing Global with so many separate boards, charts, and trays laying around waiting to get spilt just because someone had to get up and use the washroom. I’m hoping more custom table builders will consider presenting their creations in video form… I would very much like to view theirs in the same way.

• '10

LOVE IT!!!  It even has a “feel” of a Bunker!

Hope I can make it over for a game one day.

Jeremy

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m