Which movie sequel was the WORST?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well?

• I’ve only seen the first two films on the list, so I can’t really give an informed answer, but I’m just wondering about the status of ST:TMP.  Does the first film in a series count as a sequel when the only thing before it was a TV series rather than a movie?

By the way, adding an “Other” answer option might bring in some interesting supplementary movie titles.

• Which Star Trek movie are you talking about?

• @Jermofoot:

Which Star Trek movie are you talking about?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

My vote for the worst sequel of all time would be King Kong Lives (1986), the sequel to the already dubious 1976 King Kong remake.  Both films were produced by Dino de Laurentis and directed by John Guillerman.  I have trouble believing that these films were made by the same guy who was the primary director for The Towering Inferno.

• Matrix Revolution.

Simply a bad movie irregardless of its place in the franchise while the other choices are simply not the best in their franchise but manage not to be travesties of cinema. i.e.– Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom has its problems but it is a decent movie all on its own. But having to live up to Raiders of the Lost Ark it is a disaster.

• I’d have to say Star Wars because I like the star trek series better and ST: TMP wasn’t bad it was certainly not as good as the other Star trek movies.

• Star Wars 7, already know its gonna be horrible….

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture was not a sequel and it was probably the most developed plot wise. It was not action and special effects just to show off. It was a movie of substance.

• Customizer

Watch ALL Plinkett reviews before reaching conclusions on SW & ST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

This would get my vote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06WKYFYdlo

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was not a sequel and it was probably the most developed plot wise. It was not action and special effects just to show off. It was a movie of substance.

While I kind of agree that people write this film off before they should, I don’t believe that it was the best, or my favorite, of the Trek movies. I agree that it is not as abysmal as many believe… and perhaps is the most “Star Trek”-like of all the Star Trek movies. However, as movies go, the story line does not continually spark interest and some of the exposition might be overlong. Definitely not the worst on the list though. I can really appreciate the fact that it does have intellectual substance, where newer movies, Trek included, are shallow, mostly unoriginal CGI fantasy-fests.

Phantom Menace fell far short of its potential, but I don’t hate or even dislike the movie. Jar-Jar considered. A blight to be sure, but he didn’t utterly ruin Ep. I-III for me. There is some very good casting in this movie (Neeson, McGregor, Portman?), but yes some bad. The plot is not bad, but could have been better without some elements. The lightsaber fight at the end is probably my favorite in all of Star Wars. Overall, the movie was not horrible, but it was not nearly great either.

• batman and robin, for being pure crap
    blues brothers 2000 for being utter crap
    terminator 3 for again being crap
    oceans 12 for twising the plot so many times that i didn’t care about the movie anymore

Now that I am thinking about it, I can name at least one that I am sure is worse than any listed:

Jaws 2WAAAAYYYYY worse than Jaws. Almost incomparably so.

Also, National Treasure 2 was pretty bad. I liked the first one quite a bit, but the second is poor.

Ah, what the heck, might as well throw another on… and probably the worst of them all:   Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.   GOD AWFUL. Should never, EVER have been made.

And now that I think about it, and a few people have mentioned it, why is ST:TMP on this list? It is not a sequel. Unless you consider it a sequel to the show, which is not a very fair comparison if you ask me.

ST:TMP was originally to be aired on TV, and was converted to be a big screen release prior to filming. So originally it was a “continuation”.

As to why I added it to this list of “sequels”, well, some consider it the worst of the series, and it’s here simply for discussion.

Many would also say that it should be considered a “prequel” and that’s only for hardcore trekkies. It’s very open to interpretation.

That said, this is the internet, and we can all do and say whatever we please. :P If you want to bother yourself with the semantics of the word “sequel”, than by all means…

@Gargantua:

If you want to bother yourself with the semantics of the word “seque”, than by all means…

I’d love to, but no thanks. Don’t have the time.

I accept your premise.

Excellent. :)

• BY far the worst ST sequel was the one where LT. Uhura did her thunder thigh dance on the hilltop for Dr. McCoy.

That old woman doing that with her gigantic python looking thigh’s would make anybody gag. I think it was one of the last sequels, not sure which one. I think that was the worst moment in any movie.

Titanic II was also one of the worst.

• I recently got hooked on this movie series called “star wars”. The first three where fantastic with light sabres modern cgi effects and great writing. The I get to the 4th movie, and it seems like the budget have taken a turn for the worse. No fancy cgi, instead they have started using men and children inside suits. I could have forgiven that, but they seem to have decided to remove the funniest character of the franchise, which I previously believed was the only reason this series was allowed to continue. His name is Jar Jar Binks, and his HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILARIOUS, really most awesome character on the silver screen since the god father.  For some reason it seems that the director have continued making the series for a full 6 movies, and a 7th one is in the making. I can only hope he will save this series which really have steadily become worse since star wars 1.

Have anyone of you seen these movies? Lets make an internet campaign to save this franchise.

• @LHoffman:

Now that I am thinking about it, I can name at least one that I am sure is worse than any listed:

Jaws 2WAAAAYYYYY worse than Jaws. Almost incomparably so.

Also, National Treasure 2 was pretty bad. I liked the first one quite a bit, but the second is poor.

Ah, what the heck, might as well throw another on… and probably the worst of them all:   Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.   GOD AWFUL. Should never, EVER have been made.

And now that I think about it, and a few people have mentioned it, why is ST:TMP on this list? It is not a sequel. Unless you consider it a sequel to the show, which is not a very fair comparison if you ask me.

Jaws II came to mind.

• Gremlins 2  :?

@Imperious:

BY far the worst ST sequel was the one where LT. Uhura did her thunder thigh dance on the hilltop for Dr. McCoy.

That old woman doing that with her gigantic python looking thigh’s would make anybody gag. I think it was one of the last sequels, not sure which one. I think that was the worst moment in any movie.

ST V: The Final Frontier

She was doing it to entice the presumably female-starved guards in Sybok’s army into a trap so Kirk and Co. could get into the city and rescue the “hostages”.

More than you wanted or needed to know I am sure… but there it is.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m