How to balance out the game for the Allies in one easy step

• @variance:

What I would do is build a destroyer in z93, move a destroyer to z94, a cruiser to z112, a cruiser to z91, and load up Paris with a second AA gun and 2 infantry, then move all land units and Scotland fighter to Paris.

I realize you want to put damage on Germany, but you could seriously threaten Italy with a French stack in Southern France.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Its nice that there could be a couple approaches to what France could do.

• '22 '16

A fully loaded French Carrier in the Med to compliment the cruiser and the destroyer.  Just what the Italians need!

• Or maybe attack northern italy straight up, kills the major and the precious bomber.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@majikforce:

A fully loaded French Carrier in the Med to compliment the cruiser and the destroyer.  Just what the Italians need!

or 110

• Maybe this is too much… Maybe the French cannot move but can spend its money?  Or they don’t start with any money?

• You cannot have France attack Italy with the units as they are, as Italy would be neutered worse than it normally is by UK’s attacks upon it.

Remember Italy declared war 12 days before Paris fell.
    They were Neutral for one month (10th May-10th June) of the German invasion of France.
    France cannot attack them, because Mussolini only DW when it looked like France was finished.

Sorry everyone, but I do not think France going before Germany will work with the set up and history.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

I love hearing all of these different ideas.  In order to not unbalance it too much, perhaps France starts as a neutral (similar to Russia).  At least then there would be some play with the French units, while not allowing France to neuter Italy and so forth.  It just seems like a much better concept than the Allied 18ish bid.  France going first would allow the Allies to dictate some of the initial play in the European theatre, something which they don’t currently have, and certainly do not have in the early Pacific war.

• If you’re worried about historical accuracy just go with the France neutral idea and say that France can’t DOW on anyone.

Also…… French infantry in FIC please!  :roll: Not for balance issues. It just annoys me.

• if you want france to go before germany, it could work, but only if you let italy go before france :)

that way you could save the italian fleet, and make sure france could not destroy italy, but germany would not be able to do everything :)

• '17 '16 '13 '12

It would make the game more dynamic and more fun for the Allies, who are otherwise just responding to Axis initiative.

• One problem with having France go first (among others) is the time line would be incorrect. Fance was not neutral having declared war in 1939 after the invasion of Poland.

the game actually begins on the eve of the invasion of France. Demmark and Norway where captured by Germany in April of 1940 and are already in German hands at teh start of the game. The UK starts with control of Iceland, where infact Britain invaded Iceland the same day Germany invaded France.

Having France go first and you would have to back-up the game timeline from where it was designed to start. Also, having the Germans roll over the French right off the bat is the way Larry wanted this game to work. Changing that design concept makes this a very different game.

Kim

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

If france starts the game neutral for a turn, Germany could still steamroll it even if they put all available units in Paris.  In terms of historical reality, the setup as it is right now is ridiculous.  Just imagine Germany in Fall 1940 sweeping France, sinking most of the royal navy, invading East Poland, Baltic States, Bessarabia and Yugoslavia, and at the same time Japan taking Malaya, Borneo, Hong Kong and the Philippines.  That’s what is happening when some people do a G1 and J1 combo, which may or may not be an efficient way to win the game but it is certainly possible to do it.

• @variance:

If france starts the game neutral for a turn, Germany could still steamroll it even if they put all available units in Paris.  In terms of historical reality, the setup as it is right now is ridiculous.  Just imagine Germany in Fall 1940 sweeping France, sinking most of the royal navy, invading East Poland, Baltic States, Bessarabia and Yugoslavia, and at the same time Japan taking Malaya, Borneo, Hong Kong and the Philippines.  That’s what is happening when some people do a G1 and J1 combo, which may or may not be an efficient way to win the game but it is certainly possible to do it.

That’s just it. France is NOT neutral, she declared war in 1939. That’s why there are British troops on French soil when the game starts.

I suggest that if anyone wants France to start the game first to please play some games and report how they go, we would all be interested in the results.

Kim

• Remove 19 IPC worth of french units from France, then let it go first :)

I think a french-first scenario would require a whole new board setup for all powers. In terms of gameplay speed, often (as the axis) i play a long german turn, then after a short russian turn i take my time with japan, then i dont play again for an HOUR. I would enjoy a setup where the axis powers are more spread out in the turn order.

• @KimRYoung:

One problem with having France go first (among others) is the time line would be incorrect. Fance was not neutral having declared war in 1939 after the invasion of Poland.

the game actually begins on the eve of the invasion of France. Demmark and Norway where captured by Germany in April of 1940 and are already in German hands at teh start of the game. The UK starts with control of Iceland, where infact Britain invaded Iceland the same day Germany invaded France.

Having France go first and you would have to back-up the game timeline from where it was designed to start. Also, having the Germans roll over the French right off the bat is the way Larry wanted this game to work. Changing that design concept makes this a very different game.

Kim

Actually, the game begins right after dunkirk, after the british evacuated most of their forces.  At that point, germany easily overwhelmed france.

• @ghr2:

Actually, the game begins right after dunkirk, after the british evacuated most of their forces.  At that point, germany easily overwhelmed france.

Well that pretty much makes it no way France can be neutral.

Kim

• @KimRYoung:

One problem with having France go first (among others) is the time line would be incorrect. Fance was not neutral having declared war in 1939 after the invasion of Poland.

Correct but Italy did not declare war on France until after German had invaded them so easily (which has already been said in this thread).

If you want to take it even historically further, Italy’s invasion of Southern France was actually a disaster in the real war, not a roll-over like it is in AA40.

A France at war with only Germany at the start of the game and able to move forces into Southern France to repel an Italian invasion would be even more accurate. It seems that everyone is arguing that France could too easily invade Northern Italy. Why not just say that France can’t DOW on Italy? Seems simple enough.

Of course, Paris’ starting units would have to be altered to account for the extra 19 IPC, but probably not by much considering it would just be a built-in Allied bid.

• Add 2 more french inf in normandy and in south france, a small frech fleet in z105 (dd and tranny) and add tranny in z93.

I also think 2inf FIC would be good and realistic.

This opens up for a more tactical/flexible play with France. Axis can not ignore them 100% anymore or risk the might counterattack, stack Normandy or evacuate to help britons defend London.

Another house rule that is supricingly balancing is that allies is allowed to “liberate” former french colonies in africa and asia by moving land units into them. Why would they not? This help boost UK income lategame.

• i find the fact that people here try to use historical accuracy as an argument for how the game works. Axis and allies is just a little more accurate than risk, if it was accurate, then russia should have a production of 50-60 and usa should have a production of more than 120, while japan should be much smaller, there would be no NOs, and so on and so on.

this thread is a thread about balance, axis is not and will never be accurate. if you want accurate games, you should look into games like world in flames (somewhat accurate), or the Europa series (VERY accurate)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m