How to balance out the game for the Allies in one easy step

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Start the game with France going first, then Germany.  Isn’t it that simple?  :-o  :roll:  :-D

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

That’s actually a very good idea.  Start France Neutral so they can’t attack Holland/Normandy, but let them use the cruiser to protect the UK navy by moving the cruiser to z112 and stack Paris or maybe build some destroyers.  Germany could still wipe Paris but they could not do that AND also sink half the UK navy AND invade Russia all at the same time in Fall 1940 which is ridiculous.

As it stands the axis have a huge advantage.  For a while there was hope that people would figure out some magical way to defend VCs on both maps, but that doesn’t seem to have panned out yet and meanwhile people keep coming up with axis strategies that seem to keep getting better and faster.

• Agreed.  France going first sounds pretty good actually.  Germany would have to contend with a much larger France though- either they build up Paris with 6 more Infantry and move the Normandy/Southern France units to Paris or they move every French unit to Southern France to threaten Italy…

• '12

That could cause a bit of a problem though regarding balancing issues against the Italians.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

It’s simple yet very effective. The French player has the choice of turtling in Paris to force Germany into use a lot more planes to take the territory.

Gives them a head start in Africa as well.

• Well, that’s in effect a 19 point bid for the Allies right? Are the current bids in that range?

In addition, France could move her fleet out of harms way or move to link with the British so as to preserve it and keep it in play for an extended period. France could then add 6 more infantry to Paris, plus move in more troops to make even taking it not a sure thing.

Is this what you want? Not sure that’s a “balancing” change, might just be too much for Germany to overcome and have anything left for the UK turn one.

Kim

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Bids don’t seem to be cutting it.  As of today, in the 2013 G1940 league there are 91 wins for axis and 75 for allies even with bids.

Letting France go first as a neutral for 1 turn seems like such an elegant solution to so many problems (UK fleet too vulnerable, Paris too easy, Russia too weak), and it would be so easy to implement it, even with TripleA (ie just edit changes for France before Germany goes).

• I don’t know, it is worth a shot- but I think the biggest issue is to move ALL available French units to Southern France-  Can threaten Northern Italy from there, and Germany cannot take Southern France in this case-  it would have to Garrison Northern Italy and take Paris (and Normandy).

• 93 moves to 91, 110 moves to 112, paris fighter moves to scotland.  Or 93 fleet moves to 96 to help out the brits.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

What I would do is build a destroyer in z93, move a destroyer to z94, a cruiser to z112, a cruiser to z91, and load up Paris with a second AA gun and 2 infantry, then move all land units and Scotland fighter to Paris.

• @variance:

What I would do is build a destroyer in z93, move a destroyer to z94, a cruiser to z112, a cruiser to z91, and load up Paris with a second AA gun and 2 infantry, then move all land units and Scotland fighter to Paris.

I realize you want to put damage on Germany, but you could seriously threaten Italy with a French stack in Southern France.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Its nice that there could be a couple approaches to what France could do.

• '22 '16

A fully loaded French Carrier in the Med to compliment the cruiser and the destroyer.  Just what the Italians need!

• Or maybe attack northern italy straight up, kills the major and the precious bomber.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@majikforce:

A fully loaded French Carrier in the Med to compliment the cruiser and the destroyer.  Just what the Italians need!

or 110

• Maybe this is too much… Maybe the French cannot move but can spend its money?  Or they don’t start with any money?

• You cannot have France attack Italy with the units as they are, as Italy would be neutered worse than it normally is by UK’s attacks upon it.

Remember Italy declared war 12 days before Paris fell.
    They were Neutral for one month (10th May-10th June) of the German invasion of France.
    France cannot attack them, because Mussolini only DW when it looked like France was finished.

Sorry everyone, but I do not think France going before Germany will work with the set up and history.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

I love hearing all of these different ideas.  In order to not unbalance it too much, perhaps France starts as a neutral (similar to Russia).  At least then there would be some play with the French units, while not allowing France to neuter Italy and so forth.  It just seems like a much better concept than the Allied 18ish bid.  France going first would allow the Allies to dictate some of the initial play in the European theatre, something which they don’t currently have, and certainly do not have in the early Pacific war.

• If you’re worried about historical accuracy just go with the France neutral idea and say that France can’t DOW on anyone.

Also…… French infantry in FIC please!  :roll: Not for balance issues. It just annoys me.

• if you want france to go before germany, it could work, but only if you let italy go before france :)

that way you could save the italian fleet, and make sure france could not destroy italy, but germany would not be able to do everything :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m